Facetime activation question (Merged)

Discussion in 'iPad, iPhone, iPod touch and Apple Watch' started by imperialv, Sep 15, 2010.

1. dominiquejames

dominiquejames Active Member

Re: Facetime question?

Butch, I tried FT a couple of times with friends from Manila, and yes, it's absolutely free. :)

2. penmanila

penmanila The Pinoy Penman
    Staff Member

thanks, DJ! just sent you an email--beng and i will be in NYC soon. see you there!

3. penmanila

penmanila The Pinoy Penman
    Staff Member

facetime is really wonderful. i had a facetime chat with DJ in new york this morning--my first transcontinental test--and, minutes ago, my wife and mom just landed in washington, DC, and i had another facetime conversation with them. this thing is like magic. of course we've had videocalling for many years now on various platforms, but facetime makes it seamless and effortless. even for this alone, i'm happy i got an IP4 for myself and my wife.

4. dtrueblue

dtrueblue Member

Hello,

Got an Ipod Touch 4G but still cannot facetime an IP4. I have already included the + sign in my friend's contact.

This is how her number looks.

Iphone: +63 917 XXX XXXX

5. antski

antski Well-Known Member

Please make sure that both iPhone 4s have Facetime turned on and activated already. Just in case you forgot that step. There's no other reason why it won't work.

6. thatgirl

thatgirl Member

Im having a problem activating my facetime on ipod touch. The error goes like this: check internet connection and try again" even though my wifi works so well :(

7. mytam28

mytam28 Member

I'm using an iP4 and my Facetime is ON and says 'your phone number will be shared w/ people you call w/ Facetime' HOWEVER, when I call a person using iP4 the Facetime icon has question mark. When I tap 'facetime' of my contact it says 'connecting......'. What seems to be the problem? :(

8. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

It is my understanding that Facetime uses a web protocol. Therefore the iPhone must be connected to the internet to be reached. The iPhone must be connected to 3g or to wifi internet. That is my impression anyway.

9. hacksaw

hacksaw Member

Facetime question?

Facetime does not work on 3G...at least not yet. Only on wifi for now. If you are connected to the Internet and it still won't connect, you probably have a slow Internet connection. Otherwise, no reason why Facetime won't work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. ice_man

ice_man Active Member

11. tem0618

tem0618 New Member

Thanks for the link.

12. fieldsheer

fieldsheer Member

I've facetimed with siblings in the states and based on my observations those connections are better than the ones i do locally. I've also noticed that other than the good download speed you also need to have a decent upload speed as well. Based on my observations the download needs to be at least 1mbps and the upload has to be at least 500-700kbps. Of course the higher the better. Generally speaking broadband options in the Philippines are really bad compared to the US so i would imagine facetiming to the US would be a better experience than facetiming locally.

In theory facetime will only work on wifi but if you connect via globe mifi for instance that is technically using a 3G signal. In my observations its too unstable which is why i believe facetime is restricted to wifi-broadband only. The most you can get is about 30 seconds before it disconnects. Haven't tried 3Gwifi on smart or sun however.

13. pels_17

pels_17 Well-Known Member

i have tried facetime using my Globe Myfi, connection is decent and lasted more than 30seconds. i guess really depends on the location.

14. fieldsheer

fieldsheer Member

I stand corrected, the most I've gotten with my globe mifi connection is about 30 seconds but that was while i was driving along edsa and calling locally. I haven't tried facetime using globe mifi to the US. maybe that is better. I wonder what other peoples experience is using mifi but calling locally.

15. tjgato

tjgato Active Member

has anyone tried it how do i use it i call the phone or the apple id especially for the Mac version wala pa akong iphone 4 or itouch

16. stephen.ang

stephen.ang Member

It should be the apple ID i tested it and works great

17. strayWOLF

strayWOLF Member

just tried facetime with my friend who recently installed facetime on his macbook in Davao. clear voice and video. It's nice. I'm using my ipod touch here in Manila.

18. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

I tried facetime with a friends from US. really nice! 512kbps download will suffice.

19. thatgirl

thatgirl Member

Noted. :) I am also having problems with facetime.

20. iJosh

iJosh Member

No one to talk to on FaceTime? Prayers have been answered. :)

http://facelette.com/