Facebook Thread

Discussion in 'General OT' started by ice, Oct 8, 2018.

1. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

Facebook (including Instagram and WhatsApp) has been very busy lately...

Starting this thread for news about Facebook, Instagram and WhatsApp

Facebook announces Portal, an Echo Show rival focused on video chat | The Verge

2. oldtimer

oldtimer Active Member

After all the scandals Facebook is facing, they have the nerve to launch an even more privacy-invasive home device, Facebook Portal, an Amazon Echo Show-like device for video conferencing. This always-on device uses both camera and mic to track you.

Question - who is interested in getting one, and why? :)

3. Roman

Roman Let's hug it out!
    Staff Member

MOD NOTE: Merged threads on Facebook Portal discussion.

4. ice

I saw the Facebook Detox thread and it started as a survey about members who no longer use FB,..

5. ice

Scandals/Privacy issues is one thing.

Then I started to think who the "Portal" is for... It's basically almost useless. We Pinoys love FB Messenger, but as an alternative to SMS...

6. Sir iAco

Sir iAco Well-Known Member

Facebook wants to solve its privacy issues with a new camera

players.brightcove.net

October 8, 2018

Facebook just announced its first piece of hardware, but the response wasn’t entirely enthusiastic. The Portal is a smart display with a motion-tracking camera, allowing people to make hands-free video calls. For many users of the social media site, however, this was just the latest blunder for a company that has a bad history when it comes to privacy.

#6 Sir iAco, Oct 9, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  7. Roman

Roman Let's hug it out!
    Staff Member

Yep, I merged your Facebook thread with another Facebook Portal thread, not the detox thread.

8. Ghibli

Ghibli Well-Known Member

9. tomangelo

tomangelo Member

I don't really see the point in using Facebook anymore. It's cluttered and some information are fake news. It's like a modern version of 9gag. I kept messenger just to communicate with friends.

10. ice

Facebook hacker accessed personal details for 29 million accounts | The Verge

How to see if your data was accessed in the Facebook hack | The Verge

#10 ice, Oct 13, 2018 at 9:57 AM
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2018 at 11:56 AM
  11. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

Hands up those who have had enough of FB...

Two hands up...there, and I'm not even bothered at all about losing "Friends"...

Juice and bacchus_3 like this.
  12. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...You are still protected by enabling two-factor authentication and by keeping your most private details off Facebook. So, even if they managed to access your account details, damage will be very minimal. It is part of the devil’s bargain. Access and take advantage of the social aspect of Facebook and keep in touch with your loved ones both here and in the most remote part of the world in exchange for giving up some of your private details. Curate (or alter) your info and you will be fine.

I m not losing sleep over this.

greta87 and lsalapare like this.
  13. Mykolant

Mykolant PhilMUG Addict Member

Curating your FB feed is the way to go.

Avoid clicking on the "fake" news and they will gradually not make it to your timeline anymore.

Ensure that your privacy settings are deliberate and specific to the various levels of friends that you have.

Treat the content as a form of entertainment and not too seriously to minimize stress.

greta87 and potpot2 like this.
  14. ice

It turns out that Facebook could in fact use data collected from its Portal in-home video device to target you with ads | Recode

15. suavecito

suavecito PhilMUG Addict Member

Newly rolled-out 3D photo is FB's killer feature. Cant get enough posting 3D pics, kakaadik!

greta87 likes this.
  16. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...ads are part of the bargain with social media. Just as ads are part of Philmug. We are not paying anything to FaceBook. It is free. In exchange for the free membership, you will be targeted with ads. They will track your browsing habits and send tailor-made targeted ads based on their analysis. So, what is wrong with that? The alternative is a pay for play subscription model for social media. Pay monthly, zero ads, no invasion of privacy. How much are you willing to pay? I bet you none of us want that.

I favor free social media and if they want pictures of my dog, they are most welcome to access albums of my dog. No permission needed.

lsalapare and shifty_md like this.