Stolen: F2MVMCYKJCLJ

Discussion in 'Stolen or Lost Database' started by Tsumabukis, Mar 30, 2019.

1. Tsumabukis

Tsumabukis New Member

White 64GB iPhone X

Fell out from my pocket in a Grab car last Jan 4.
    Did not realize it until around 3 hours later after getting off.
    From this, you would think that my thread prefix should be “Lost.”
    But NO.
    My friend tried to make my phone ring to get the attention of the driver and/or his passenger.
    The phone has apparently been switched off and was unreachable.
    When my friend and I tried to contact the driver, he was unresponsive.
    Even when we asked Grab’s CS to contact him and make him call us back, his simple reply (at the literal end of the day) was that my phone was not in his car.
    Next day, my friend tried again and we were surprised that to have heard a ring.
    Unfortunately, whoever had my phone wasn’t picking up.
    And to make matters worse, 2 hours later, I received notifications on my iPad that my various email addresses were being hacked.

2. Aargh

Aargh Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear this. Have you reported it stolen to Apple already. That’s the most you can do now. It will be very difficult for the person who have your phone to use it. It’s basically a paper weight.

3. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

Wipe clean your device via Find My iPhone. You have no choice now unless you want the perp to continue using it, including your email accounts.

4. ronjet

ronjet PhilMUG Addict Member

Yes. Put it in Lost Mode immediately.

5. p.pipster

p.pipster PhilMUG Addict Member

Your best friend in this case is Grab. Escalate this within their ranks so Grab can deal with the driver or apply pressure as applicable.

You need not converse with the driver. Let Grab handle it.

6. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...question: the iPhone Face ID or 6- digit code was compromised? How is that remotely possible? That is only the only way to access the email accounts or any content can contained in the iPhone X. If the 10 failed attempt then erase setting was activated, the iPhone X should have automatically erased the content without intervention from the real owner. To guess the 6-digit passcode, you only have 10 chances out of 1,000,000 possible combinations (if my math is correct). Those are astronomical odds. Face ID is also computed at 1 out of 1,000,000 (according to Apple ‘s white paper on Face ID) and only fails in the case of identical twins.

7. Tsumabukis

Tsumabukis New Member

Thanks.
    At first I didn’t consider reporting it to Apple because I was so confident that the thief/hacker would not be able to get in to my iPhone.
    That was also why I was initially optimistic that whoever found my phone would have no choice but to return it.
    UNFORTUNATELY, either the one who found my phone was a hacker, or my phone was brought to a hacker.
    Like I said, I started receiving notifications that I have changed my password in my yahoo and gmail accounts the following day.
    :eek:
    And UNFORTUNATELY, the thief/hacker was able to get in to my Find My Device/iPhone from icloud.com and remove my iPhone, allowing the thief/hacker to now use my device...
    :cry:
    (Details in other responses to other posts below)

8. Tsumabukis

Tsumabukis New Member

Thank you for the advice.
    I’ve thought of that, but I was still hopeful at the time that my phone would be returned to me, especially since it was only dropped inside a Grab vehicle...

9. Tsumabukis

Tsumabukis New Member

Yes, my friend did that for me and made the official complaint about the driver.
    Unfortunately, with no other proof, that seems to be the extent of what we could do...

10. Tsumabukis

Tsumabukis New Member

GOOD question.
    And this is why I am sharing my experience.
    The thief/hacker did something which I have never previously considered.
    (S)He didn’t ujse brute force to get in to my phone.
    It seems like (s)he knows about Apple security pretty well.
    Because what he actually did was remove my still active sim at the time and moved it to another iPhone.
    THEN, (s)he hacked into my gmail and yahoo accounts by using my mobile number to login and pretend that I have forgotten my password.
    Obviously, what gmail and yahoo did was send an OTP to my number, and so the thief/hacker was able to log in.

(S)He then started changing my passwords.
    Good thing that I was receiving the updates real-time on my iPad.
    The moment I saw the update notifications, I knew I was being hacked.
    IT was such a new experience for me that I did not initially have the good sense to have my sim deactivated.
    I changed my password from my iPad because I had access to the backup email address even though the thief/hacker had access to my backup mobile number.
    I thought that would deter him/her.
    Instead, I received an iMessage from the thief/hacker: “Aahhh...”, as if he was challenged by my futile efforts.

The series of password changes went a couple of times, until I finally had the good sense to think of removing my lost mobile as a backup number.
    That was when the thief/hacker was finally stopped, but not before he was able to log in to icloud using my hacked yahoo email (which I was using as my iCloud account at the time) and remove my iPhone in my list of tracked iOS devices.

MORAL OF THE STORY: Do not use your own mobile number as the backup number for your email accounts. Better yet, turn that off. Instead use 2-Factor Authentication and use an “authorization”(?) app like Google Auth or Authy.

catalysmic, hitme64 and raypin like this.
  11. raypin

Mm...pin code for your active SIM card....that is what you forgot. Activate it.

Tsumabukis likes this.
  12. Tsumabukis

Tsumabukis New Member

That’s actually a good suggestion.
    Thanks!
    (y)
    I’ve actually forgotten this feature after not having had to use it for 10years now...

raze19 likes this.
  13. raypin

Mm....also, for increased security, disable message preview (under settings - notifications - hide preview). Do this for all your iOS devices.

And don’t forget to keep safe your sim card PUK specially for prePaid numbers,

raze19 and Theus like this.
  14. Theus

Theus PhilMUG Addict Member

this. learned this the hard way when wife's iPhone was stolen a few years back. we were supposed to meet, she was running late so i texted her. 'her' reply? "what's my PIN again?" stupid me never got wind of it & replied with her PIN! :mad:

"what's my PIN again?" what the EF!!! :ROFLMAO:

Ejaxene, raypin and Tsumabukis like this.
  15. Tsumabukis

Tsumabukis New Member

:unsure:
    The thing is, without Message Preview, how will you be able to provide the person who found your phone with your alternative contact details?
    I used to have that switched off.
    But having “lost” a lot of phones in my previous life :)p), I decided to remain positive and believe in the innate goodness of people and that thy would want to return an iPhone that they would have difficulty penetrating.
    That is how the thief/hacker was able to respond with that mocking message after (s)he realized I was aware of what (s)he was doing...

raypin likes this.
  16. raypin

Mm...in lost mode, a notification should appear with your message...like you got my gdamn phone. Return it or I will hunt you down in this life and in the afterlife. Signed, chuck norris.

Tsumabukis likes this.
  17. raypin

Mm...am using that system. Postpaid sim cards can be illegally obtained. Thief pretending to be you and presents spurious ID to get a sim replacement. So, the solution is to use a prepaid number in a secondary phone (I use an old phone) and kept safely. This number which I do not use but regularly load serves as my two-factor phone authenticator for accounts. That is its only purpose. What if the prepaid sim malfunctions or becomes lost? That is where an authenticator app comes in handy (installed in a separate device kept safely) or I can use the unique, one-time codes that Google provides for each Gmail accounts. Same with Microsoft email accounts. The one-time codes are stored safely (not on any of my digital devices).

catalysmic and Theus like this.
  18. OwlAlpha26

OwlAlpha26 Active Member

1. Put your phone to lost mode ASAP when u know to yourself you lost it
    2. Have a PIN on your SIM car(I see now why eSIM should be the mainstream already). This is to prevent the evil from spoof OTP-ing your device

Got it.

Anything else to remember?

19. raypin

Mm...after activating lost mode, you have the option to remotely erase your device’s content from Find my iPhone/iPad app (will do so once your stolen iOS device becomes online). But do not delete the device from your Find my iPhone list of active devices. Deleting the device will remove the Activation Lock (thus allowing anyone to use your stolen property).

Assuming you’ve fixed all your security loopholes by auditing it (yes, run through all your accounts).....

Regarding one time passcodes that gmail provides, you can use it when you have no choice and have to access your email from a public computer (hotel computer, university lobrary, internet shop or office computer). Of course, don’t forget to log off.

There’s the usual: never access your accounts when connected to public wifi. Full-time VPN works best.

Going all these hoops is really a pain in the bum but that is the reality of current digital life. Lots of bad people out there and it is up to you to keep your digital life safely secured.