External HDD Help

Discussion in 'Third-party Accessories' started by imart, Jun 7, 2018.

1. imart

imart Active Member

Hi Folks,

I've been using this Seagate Backup Plus Portable Drive 4TB for over a year, which contains mostly RAW+jpeg photos. Very recently, I have been noticing the intermittent unmounting and usually get "Disk Not Ejected Properly" minutes after plugging to USB3 on 15" MBP 2015 running on Sierra. The slow/no response when viewing the photos using Finder has become more obvious.

Yesterday, I tried running Disk Utility > First aid and failed to get it fixed during the first attempt. See attached.

Later in the day, I tried the First Aid again and got a sigh of relief after declaring that it's repaired. I'm listing down the details, hoping that somebody is familiar or has experienced the same thing.

Repairing file system.
    Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.
    Checking extents overflow file.
    Checking catalog file.
    Incorrect block count for file tmp.spotlight.state
    (It should be 1 instead of 0)
    Checking multi-linked files.
    Checking catalog hierarchy.
    Checking extended attributes file.
    Checking multi-linked directories.
    Checking volume bitmap.
    Volume bitmap needs minor repair for orphaned blocks
    Volume bitmap needs repair for under-allocation
    Checking volume information.
    Repairing volume.
    Rechecking volume.
    Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume.
    Checking extents overflow file.
    Checking catalog file.
    Checking multi-linked files.
    Checking catalog hierarchy.
    Checking extended attributes file.
    Checking multi-linked directories.
    Checking volume bitmap.
    Checking volume information.
    The volume iMart4TBslim was repaired successfully.
    File system check exit code is 0.
    Updating boot support partitions for the volume as required.
    Operation successful.​

The challenge is, even after repair, the intermittent unmounting still happens with a blinking light on the device that i've noticed while writing this. The nice thing about this is that when it's mounted by sheer luck, i still can see all my files without issues. I have no clue what's going on.

Thanks for helping :)

Attached Files:

2. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

Do you encounter the same issue with other hard drives? Or only this one?

3. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

Before you try and figure out what's wrong with the drive, back it up ASAP if the files are important. I can't stress that enough. We don't know if your drive is starting to fail. It could be nothing, but it could also mean it's about to fail.

Sunil_K and King like this.
  4. imart

imart Active Member

so far, i only got this sole active device at the moment, sir. this now prompts me to plug and check the other seldom-used WD 2TB. Will verify soon.

5. imart

imart Active Member

Agree, Sir. For some reason, I kept telling myself to get a spare 4/5TB during the 2 recent IT shows here. Each went on sale for P6.2k / P7.8k. Wish there are portable storage for rent for this temporary setback.

6. gogetit

gogetit Member

Could be a defective USB cable. Try other cables and see if the problem persists.

imart likes this.
  7. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

I think I also have the same issue as yours with my hard disks... I no longer notice it as I just remove my hard disks with my iMac is off.

Since it contains a lot of important files (Family Photos and Videos) I back it up regularly on another hard disk and all photos/videos are also backed-up on Google Photos.

8. King

King Active Member

Don't rent.

Buy brand new if the files are that important to you.

Then have the defective Seagate RMA'd. You cannot replicate past family videos and photos.

9. Qin Zhi

Qin Zhi Well-Known Member

I strongly urge you to buy a new one asap. Based on your description, it can either be:
    • a mere defective USB cable, as pointed out by @gogetit, and I've experienced the same symptom myself sometime late last year where the external drive would suddenly unmount; OR
    • worse, it can be a sign of a failing drive, and I've also experienced more or less the same symptoms (mainly slow response) about 2-3 days before the drive totally died (i.e. totally unmountable).
    Either way, you should buy a new one--or two--as the case may be. External drives do fail, and if you're backing-up important files, redundancy matters. It's best to back-up your files in at least two hard drives for your local backups (and, preferably, an additional cloud backup). Don't scrimp on your backup drives, as the files you store there are usually many times more expensive than the drives themselves; more so when the files are photographs, which generally you can't put a price tag on.

Thus, if it's just a defective USB cable, buy one new 4TB drive, which will contain a duplicate of your present drive. If your drive's dying, then buy two new 4TB drives to replace the old one. Redundancy is key in backups.

imart likes this.
  10. imart

imart Active Member

Hi Folks, glad to have resolved the issue after finding out that the short, thin OEM USB cable is already faulty. I tried using a thick, longer cable from another external drive and it now brought things back to normal. Thank you for your tips and will invest on another spare external drive when the next IT show comes. I wish a 4/5TB external SSD is as cheap as a 2.5" HDD. :D