External Hard Drives (questions, problems, discussions)

Discussion in 'Other hardware discussions' started by eugene3ph, Aug 2, 2006.

1. alanis_junkie

alanis_junkie Well-Known Member

google paragon NTFS for mac

2. lmd052300

lmd052300 Member

Paragon or tuxera for mac will solve your problem

3. poleng

poleng Member

where to buy g-tech g-drive here in manila?

4. maaarz

maaarz Member

i'm planning to buy an external HD for my MBA soon. regarding that, i have several questions:

1) is it advisable to partition the external HD? i'm planning to have one partition for time machine back-ups and one for media/big files. if so, what set-up would you recommend: both HFS+, or HFS+ and FAT32 for the media partition?
    2) what brand would you recommend? i'm looking for a USB 3.0 HD, don't need thunderbolt since i don't really need the faster throughput it provides compared to USB 3.0.

thanks! :D

5. sandybridge_guy

sandybridge_guy PhilMUG Addict Member

A friend who works in a tech store repairs PC components on a daily basis. He told me to stay away from G-tech drives from the Apple Store as they are very prone to crashing and failing. Not to mention data is very hard to recover when the drives crashed.
    Most g-tech drives he had repaired have those desktop hard drives inside.

I was about to buy a G-tech drive in my nearest Apple Store but its good that I heeded an advice first.

It's just sad that there's no other alternative to the beauty of the G-tech drives in the market just yet. If there's any, I haven't looked hard enough.

Buy extended warranty if you really wanna push through with this.

6. Skint

Skint Well-Known Member

Guys can you partition a 4TB Desktop external HD seagate back up plus into 2? One 2TB partition is for Time machine back up and the other one formatted into exfat is this possible to do? I read in some forums that 4TB external HD won't partitioned though this happened in Mountain Lion. I don't know if you can partition a 4TB in Mavericks without any trouble now does anyone here done a partition like I mentioned 4TB HD desktop external partitioned into two 2TB one 2TB is for Time machine and the other one guid partition format into exfat.
    Kindly educate me and give me the pros and cons if I do this kind of set up. Thanks in advance - Alvin :)

7. loudsound

loudsound Well-Known Member

This should be possible Skint. I partitioned an old Buffalo external HD into 3. One was used as a bootable OS X drive, other one was used as a Windows backup for my Bootcamp then the 3rd partition as an ordinary storage. I recently removed it though and brought it back up to 1 so that I can maximize the storage since I don't use the other 2 partitions anymore. You can use Disk Utility to perform this. Tutorials are available online. ;)

8. Skint

Skint Well-Known Member

Thanks bro for confirmation though at first, I'm at a lost doing the partition forgot to format it on Mac Journaled volume because of this I'm getting a partition failed invalid request. Now, I already had 3 partitions instead 2 TM backups one for Mac Mini at 2TB,500GB for Macbook Air and 1.50 exfat for back up storage for other multi media files and data. :)

9. rdy2014

rdy2014 Member

Is there a free software that will allow me to write on an NTFS drive on Yosemite?

10. pael

pael Well-Known Member

is there already an external enclosure for 2.5" SATA3 with a thunderbolt interface?

11. cybersniper

cybersniper Well-Known Member

12. teamjm

teamjm Well-Known Member

Hi guys, planning to buy a 500gb external drive as backup for my files. What's best out there?
    Had bad experiences already with western digital. What about seagate? Samsung? or other brands you can recommend?

Thanks!

13. gogetit

gogetit Active Member

Have read good reviews on a Seagate Backup Plus Slim. 1 Terabyte costs something like P 3,200 in the shops in Vmall, Greenhills.

14. dilbert_8800

dilbert_8800 Member

Had a good experience with WD recently - just as I thought that my 1 year warranty had expired - I checked my portable drive serial in their website and discovered that my drive is still covered by their warranty. Bought my unit in 2013. I followed their directions to ship my defective unit (to their Makati address), and in less than 14 days I have my unit back, with 1 year warranty. So now I have an extra unit!

15. louie_gudboy

louie_gudboy Member

16. mark_17

mark_17 Active Member

^ best place to look is at gilmore..

17. louie_gudboy

louie_gudboy Member

Thank you, will try and look there!

18. OwwwwMg

OwwwwMg Member

Anyone knows where to buy this? Sayang 500gb ko [emoji24] this is seagate by the way
    [​IMG]

19. mark_17

mark_17 Active Member

i have them Seagate USM connectors at P300 each, PM me if interested.

[​IMG]

20. Mykolant

Mykolant PhilMUG Addict Member

I've got a 1TB WD My Book Studio purchased a couple of years ago. The funny thing is, the power supply seems to be missing!! I thought all the while that the power supply was neatly kept inside the box it came in. What I've been using for it is the power supply of another My Book Studio that's why I didn't really notice until we moved houses and when i checked the box it wasn't there.

Anyone know where I can buy just the power supply for this?

TIA!