External Hard Drives (questions, problems, discussions)

Discussion in 'Other hardware discussions' started by eugene3ph, Aug 2, 2006.

1. mark_17

mark_17 Active Member

if you try to have your data recovered, you risk the warranty of your external harddrive be voided... always have multiple back-ups.

2. Superman102175

Durian and Pomelo Capital Of The Philippines
    Hi! I am OK w/ voiding warranty. Files are really imporant...

3. kenshinx

kenshinx Active Member

HD spinning normally? if yes, HD is powering up but is not connecting, try using another USB cable. It its still doesn't connect, use "disk utility" (go-utilities-disk utility) to mount it. If you don't see it on the left pane of the disk utility then you may have to trasplant that HD to another USB-HDD case but maybe, just maybe the seller can do that for you (if it still under warranty).

4. Superman102175

Durian and Pomelo Capital Of The Philippines
    Thanks Renato! :)

5. angml

angml Member

Hi All,

Need help, I bought a 1TB LaCie external drive that I didn't get to use for several months. Now that I need to access some old files stored in there, it gets into this super slow mode - and there's a lot of noise in the external drive as if the disc was not rotating properly.

Does anyone know where I can get this fixed?

6. hiromi_777a

hiromi_777a Member

Hi guys, need advice on how to write protect a NTFS formatted external HD on my Mac. Something like the "get info -> sharing and persmissions -> set to read" on a Mac OS formatted hard drive.

My goal is that when I plug my external HD on my friend's windows laptop I won't be able to get any viruses from his laptop, if there's any. Currently using Paragon NTFS on my Mac so I'm able to read and write on OS X.

Thanks so much PhilMuggers! :)

7. wisewag

wisewag New Member

What external HD can I use on our samsung tv? We only have HDs that doesn't have any power adapter except for the usb plug. Any recommendations?

8. MacSonic 779

MacSonic 779 Member

Hi Wisewag. You can check out Western Digital Ext HD or Seagate Ext HDs Western Digital offers a model called WD Media HD for storing movies and music files usually used by home theater owners. Buffalo is also becoming to be a popular brand. I have used Ext HDs like Seagate, WD, Maxtor, G-Drive and MacAlly HDs and all worked fine. A Mac tech guy told me to avoid moving the HDs too much so as to prolong its life but no guarantees. I tried avoiding Lacie drives as I read too many negative feedbacks on it breaking down and also consulted a technician and told me they get complains about Lacie HDs. But this is just my input and maybe Lacie is fine.

9. Dipp

Dipp Active Member

this maybe a case to case scenario-
    - your friend is an administrator locally for sure so he gets to read and write-

10. sybcruz

sybcruz Member

having problem with my toshiba hard drive it suddenly cant be recognize on my mac.help! i think its the loose connection on the cable and the hd itself.what remedy can i do?

11. mark_17

mark_17 Active Member

diagnose it, if it fails the test then replace it...

12. sybcruz

sybcruz Member

how to diagnose? it cant be detected.

13. mark_17

mark_17 Active Member

then its obviously a dead drive... you don't need to diagnose to know its already defective.

14. sybcruz

sybcruz Member

how do i know if it just the cable or just the connection between th drive and end of cable

15. mark_17

mark_17 Active Member

this is basic troubleshooting:
    1. use you external hard drive on another computer
    2. use another usb cable

if your drive is still not detected:
    3. if your external hard drive have expired warranty, you can open it then remove the hard drive and transfer it on another usb enclosure.
    4. if your drive is still under store warranty, have it replaced.

16. kenshinx

kenshinx Active Member

Plug it to USB, observed if it lights up (LED), If it doesn't light up, it could be the case (or USB cable). If it lights up but doesn't mount then there's something wrong with the HDD.

17. jonathanvital

jonathanvital Active Member

Need help guys, my buffalo 1tb's usb port port got loose and lost some contact metals, so i removed the drive and connected it to 2 different working enclosure, the other is even ac powered, disk utility can detect it but the first thing that appears is that it cant be read.

Are there cases in which the sata bridge is exclusive with the drive and you have to reformat it if you transfer the drive to another enclosure? Already tried diskwarrior but no luck. Can a hard drive docking station help?

18. cookies

cookies Member

yes some sata enclosure dont detect other hdd

19. ManongPishbol

ManongPishbol New Member

hi guys.. just wondering... I'm a new mac user. and I'm having problems on how to use my external hard drive that has been my back up since birth. i mean it has all my files in it. now the problem is this... i used to be a windows user so as expected the drive is NTFS formatted. and upon reading the first comments in this thread looks like theres no other way but to have it reformatted to FAT32 for mac to be able to write in it. this is really a pain in my arse... i don't know where the hole am i gonna transfer my 500+gb of files while i reformat my hdd to fat32..

is there really no other way for my mac to save on a NTFS formatted external hdd?

I'm on a macbook running 10.9.2 (hoping mavericks already has a trick on this)

Thanks guys!

20. kenshinx

kenshinx Active Member

Borrow a PC to transfer all your files to a new external hdd - it's easier :)