External Hard Drives (questions, problems, discussions)

Discussion in 'Other hardware discussions' started by eugene3ph, Aug 2, 2006.

1. eugene3ph

eugene3ph Member

i have a maxtor 250 onetouch II external hardrive that i've use before with window. last june ive purchase my first brand new macbook. i tried transfering file from my macbook to my maxtor and it wont allow me to do so. i keep on getting a message that my "maxtor' cannot be modified. plus i tried deleting files sending it my maxtor to trash (osx) and i get message that i don't have sufficient privileges. any tips?

thanks in advance.....
    eugene

#1 eugene3ph, Aug 2, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2010
  2. AthanWylde

AthanWylde Active Member

Re: Help with external hard drive

...most likely read-only lang yung maxtor mo. i think you're gonna have to reformat your drive so that both your windows machine and macbook can read it... format it as MS-DOS sa disk utility na lang...

3. daxdigital

daxdigital Guest

Is your HDD formatted as NTFS? If it is, then that's the culprit. Macs allows reading of NTFS disks, but not write (or modifications). Check your HDD if it's formatted as such.

Check your permissions as well.

4. eugene3ph

eugene3ph Member

how do i check if my HD is NTFS in OSX. if im going to reformat it how do i do it in OSX? im also worried about my file from my Maxtor HD should i just transfer it to my macbook's HD?

thanks again

eugene

5. daxdigital

daxdigital Guest

If you have a two-button mouse (like some of us) simply right click (or click-press control on keyboard for single-button users) on the drive and click Get Info. On the window you'll see the Format field specifying what type of disk volume you have.

If it is NTFS, it will specify as "Windows NT Filesystem."

You can copy files from an NTFS partition.

To format, go to Applications>Utilities>Disk Utilities. You'll see your drive as a disk with the USB icon (or FireWire icon, if it's firewire). Check its Help section on how to partition your disk.

Warning: Erase and Partition destroys the files so BACK UP! Also, If you're using the drive with a Windows PC, Select MS-DOS Filesystem. Drawback is that you can't save a file bigger than 2GB. You can format it as a MacOS Partition, but the drive will be inaccessible to a Windows PC.

6. marvinp

marvinp Active Member

Do a Get Info (Apple-I) on the hard disk. In the General drop down, it should say NTFS as the Format. After backing up your files, you can use Disk Utility in Applications > Utilities to reformat the drive.

7. MacRon

MacRon Member

I've encountered that kind of problem too

8. coolpix32

coolpix32 Active Member

Hi guys! I'm posting my problem on this thread as it is a similar problem.

I cannot write to my external HDD. The funny thing is that since I migrated from Window to Mac about seven months ago, I have been using the same external HDD. In other words, I am able to read and write on my Mac despite the formatted setting of NTFS.

This morning as I was about to back-up a file, it won't allow it. Has anyone had a similar experience?

Help please! :(

9. Shinrai

Shinrai Guest

Just reinstall MacFuse to get back the functionality. You can google for it if you don't have it.

10. NeilJohn

NeilJohn Active Member

To write to an NTFS formatted drive, you should have MACfuse and NTFS-3g. Both are free ware, you can just google to point you where to download. It will also allow you to format your drive in NTFS.

Cheers.

11. coolpix32

coolpix32 Active Member

@Shinrai & NeilJohn

Thanks guys! It worked! Most helpful. :cool:

12. matoy

matoy New Member

external drive

hi, newbie ere, Im having problem with my external hard drive. I wanted to transfer some photos and documents but it wont accept the transfer. It says that my external hard drive cannot be modified. And after looking at the info bar under sharing and permission it says that You can only read. How can i transfer file to my external drive. My external drive is just generic one and 80gb.
    Thanks

13. kyapjoco

kyapjoco Member

Re: external drive

Quick question. What is the file system / format of the drive?

14. matoy

matoy New Member

the format of the drive is NTFS

15. rafaelc378

rafaelc378 Active Member

@matoy: The computer that you are transferring from, is it a Mac? Any external media in NTFS format will be Read-Only for a Mac. You either need to reformat the drive into HFS+ or download software that will let NTFS be read by the Mac.

16. matoy

matoy New Member

yes its a mac, how can i reformat the drive and what particular software do i need to download.

17. arjaysalting

arjaysalting Member

Just use the Disk Utility of your Mac.

18. enshong

enshong Well-Known Member

You don't need the software to read files from the NTFS-formatted drive on your Mac.. You just need a software to write into NTFS with your Mac. :) Clarification lang po.

And remember na mawawala ang lahat ng files sa drive mo when you reformat it.. :) A better format would be FAT so that it'll be readable and writable on both Mac and Windows systems.. :)

19. matoy

matoy New Member

thanks guys for the infos, now i can transfer files. One more thing, now that i've reformat to mac os extended, can i still use this drive to windows base pc?

20. enshong

enshong Well-Known Member

@matoy: unfortunately, no. You need to install a software in Windows pa.. That's why FAT is the only file system of choice if you're going to read&write on an external drive on both OSes.