external hard drive question!

Discussion in 'Other hardware discussions' started by soulspain013, Nov 29, 2009.

1. soulspain013

soulspain013 Member

Hi guys! i just bought recently a Seagate Freeagent GO, my problem was, i was not able to examine it and after i got home, discover it was formatted to windows (pc), may know if there is a remedy so that i would able to use it on my mac as a backup only and not for time machine. i read something over the net that there is an apps that can be used so that mac osx can write on the NTFS file, is there any?. thanks!

#1 soulspain013, Nov 29, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  2. modsupremo

modsupremo Member

Most branded external HD (WD, Lacie, Iomega ect.) being cross-platform should work with both mac & windows straightaway.

You can format your external hard drive for mac if you want to by following the following instructions:
    1. Step 1
      Open the system drive, usually titled "Macintosh HD." Open Applications, then Utilities and double click the "Disk Utility" program to open it. A window will open giving a list of all the drives currently mounted on the computer.
    2. Step 2
      Select the disk that needs to be formatted on the left. It is not possible to format the startup disk unless the system has booted from the Install Disk. It is important to note that formatting the startup disk will permanently erase the data stored on the disk. If you are planning on erasing the startup disk, back up all important files and applications.
    3. Step 3
      Click on the "Erase" tab to the right of the list of drives. The window will now display the options for erasing the hard drive and formatting it to work on the Macintosh computer.
    4. Step 4
      Select the Volume Format from the pop-up list. In most cases it's best to leave it at "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" as this is the default. This setting is the best option for running Mac OS X. If there are other requirements for the disk, then select the format that best suits your needs. If you have questions about the formats, refer to the Apple user's manual.
    5. Step 5
      Name the hard drive. Type a name for the disk in the field where it asks for the name. This name will always appear when the disk is mounted on a Macintosh computer.
    6. Step 6
      Click the erase button. A window will open asking to verify the erase procedure. Click the erase button in this window to start the process of erasing the disk. Once the process is complete, the drive will appear with the name it was given on the left side of the window with the list of drives and on the desktop of the Macintosh computer.
    Taken from: http://www.ehow.com/how_2063795_format-hard-drive-mac-os.html

#2 modsupremo, Nov 29, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  3. soulspain013

soulspain013 Member

thanks! it is very very clear! what if if i plug it to a pc to copy some files and transfer it to my mac or vice versa, would pc able to read it? i will use it as my primary storage for my files (as of know) for pc and mac.

4. modsupremo

modsupremo Member

I typically format in FAT32.

If you have the need to be sharing Mac to PC then format in FAT32...

Apple’s Disk Utility program (in the /Applications/Utilities/ folder of all Macs) will allow you to format FAT32.

5. modsupremo

modsupremo Member

The only time I had to format an external HD to a different volume format-NTFS was when I had to archive a file which was more that 4GB. FAT32 will not write files more than 4GB...

6. soulspain013

soulspain013 Member

would it be not a problem? i read on your post that FAT32 would not able to write more 4gb. what if i need to transfer a 6gb file from pc to mac? so it would not be copied?

7. ste@lth

[email protected] Well-Known Member

hi soulspain013, i believe you'll be limited to a maximum of 4GB per file, if you have a file greater than this why not perform file archiving using winzip, winrar, etc... you could compress the file to maximum compression algorithm possible or if in case the compressed file is still too large you could opt to split files into multiple archives... good luck!

8. soulspain013

soulspain013 Member

i see! that's a brilliant idea! thanks! so, for the record, i want to use my HD as backup for both my mac and pc, which will i choose FAT32 (osx format) or NTFS (pc default)?

9. modsupremo

modsupremo Member

There are third party software that will enable you to read and write on NTFS Windows Partition on Mac OS X that is if you choose to use NTFS as your volume format and being able to save files of large size is of importance to you…

10. modsupremo

modsupremo Member

11. zirkwander

zirkwander Member

12. crhymes

crhymes Member

Format it in Mac Journaled if it's basically for mac then insatall macdrive on your windows machine, I've used fuse in OSX it performs really slow.

MacDrive does quite well for Bootcamp or even external mac formatted drives.

13. soulspain013

soulspain013 Member

@all

thanks guys! i know what i'll do. maybe i'll just stick on formatting it under macosx fat32. thanks!

14. modsupremo

modsupremo Member

FAT32 is for me the way to go!

15. modsupremo

modsupremo Member

16. soulspain013

soulspain013 Member

thanks! wait, for the last record, you've mention that there is a 4gb max limit on fat32, is this limit applicable on pc to HD or mac to HD or both? i mean, does this restriction apply if i copy, for example a 6gb to a fat32 HD under pc or even under mac?

17. soulspain013

soulspain013 Member

i'm still under leopard. still waiting for my SL this december, hope it will arrive. anyways, thanks for the info! :cool:

18. modsupremo

modsupremo Member

As far as I know, both soul...

19. soulspain013

soulspain013 Member

ok. thanks! its working well! thanks!

20. IronMan

IronMan Member

Be careful with this. Read the comments.

I've been using NTFS-3G on SL 10.6.2 and never had problems. Just use the latest version. It's quite speedy compared to earlier versions.