eReader/s: Kindle, etc. [Merged]

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by rsa, Mar 18, 2010.

1. rsa

rsa Member

Kindle for Mac now available

For all the kindle owners, kindle for mac now available for download at the amazon website.

2. antski

antski Well-Known Member

Re: Kindle for Mac now available

a lot of classics free for download.

3. dominiquejames

dominiquejames Active Member

eReader/s

Amazon.com just announced the immediate availability (free download) of the beta Kindle for Mac. Anyone tried using this yet? What do you guys think? How does it compare to the eReader, B&N's eReader, and the other eReaders on the Mac, on the iPhone?

Macworld.com has this story on the Kindle for Mac:

Amazon brings Kindle app to the Mac
    Posted on Mar 18, 2010 1:16 am by Scott McNulty, Macworld.com

After months of anticipation, Amazon on Wednesday night released a beta of Kindle for Mac, software that lets you read Kindle e-books without the need for any special hardware (say, a Kindle). The free app for OS X 10.5 or later is available now in more than 100 countries, and joins the ranks of Kindle for iPhone, Kindle for PC, and Kindle for Blackberry.

As with other Kindle products, the Kindle for Mac app uses Amazon’s Whispersync technology to synchronize your bookmarks and current place in your book across all supported devices. However, Kindle for Mac is in beta, and at the moment it doesn’t support full text search, highlighting, or creating and editing notes (though it will display notes and highlighting you’ve already made in your e-book elsewhere). Amazon promises these features in a future update.

Interestingly, in the official press release, Amazon says people will soon be able to read Kindle books on iPads. Of course Kindle for iPhone should be able to run on the iPad, but it sounds like Amazon’s hinting that an optimized Kindle for iPad is in the works.

4. jbfirefly

jbfirefly Active Member

This is good news. Thanks for the update.

5. ricocamus

ricocamus Member

thanks! been waiting for this for some time now.

6. lunasoleil

lunasoleil Member

How do i get to sync my kindle books from my mac to my iphone? any idea?
    Please please... Thanks!

7. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Check out Amazon.com: Using Kindle for iPhone. Basically, you don't transfer your ebooks from the Mac to the iPhone, you download them directly to the iPhone from Amazon.

8. lunasoleil

lunasoleil Member

ok thanks!

9. VicB

VicB PhilMUG Addict Member

Re: eReader/s

I have a Kindle & once tried to download one of my books via Whispersync. Amazon charged me USD 1.99!! It seems that thedownload via Whispersync is free only if you are in the USA. I did this middle of last year & have not done it since.

Has anyone tried Whispersync since then?

10. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Re: eReader/s

I have a notice on my Kindle titled "Important Reminder About International Delivery Fees."

This is the reason I never bothered using Whispernet to download items to my Kindle, I always do it via my Mac.

11. bmarie

bmarie Member

hi! my 1-mo old kindle has lines across the screen! has anybody else experienced this? I think amazon can replace but it would be a big hassle sending it back to the US!

12. tiffitotz

tiffitotz Active Member

Anyone here who uses either Kobo or Nook readers? I'm thinking of getting one so that my mobile can breathe a function primarily as a phone and not an eReader. Torn between the Kobo Glo/Aura and Nook GlowLight because of their expandable storage and .epub-readiness. Kindle apparently can't read .epubs and it's a hassle to convert and be limited by the storage space so I'm not including it on my list.

13. extreme16199

extreme16199 Member

I use a kobo glo and i am happy with it. Like you, i prefer a separate device to do my reading and this fit the bill. Easier on the eyes and great battery life. I can also sync articles saved in Pocket to read. Page flipping is not great, but to be expected from e-readers. Pdf foles can also be loaded but fair warning, the experience is clunky - could be useful in a pinch, though. I moved up from a kobo touch thinking the backlight would come in handy, but i've used it only a handful of times. It's a nice feature to have just in case. The kobo aura is tempting, but i'm sticking with the glo for now.

14. tiffitotz

tiffitotz Active Member

^ thanks for this. Leaning towards the Kobo now. :) although I recently found out that Samsung's Galaxy Tab Lite is even cheaper than Kobo Glo or Aura. Now I'm even more confused because comparing the prices makes me feel that getting a dedicated eReader is much more impractical than getting a tablet, even if reading is all what I'll probably be doing with it.

Still leaning towards the eReader though because of the e-Ink.

ETA: why is this in the OS X thread? :p

15. eag

eag PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

If all that you'll use it for is reading, the e-ink readers are much much better. It's much easier on the eyes. I could finish a book on a kindle easily as opposed to reading on backlit tablets which give me eyestrain after a fairly short while. No experience with the kobo reader though. I use a kindlePW

16. Adel

Adel Moderator
    Staff Member

I use a Kindle Paperwhite.

I can use it all day and not have any problems with it. In fact, I carry it with me everywhere and I'm on it all the time.

I recharge it every two or three weeks, and I can use it the whole day, everyday. I keep the light off, usually, and just turn it back on when I need it. The minuscule use of power (only to turn the page, or keep the light on) makes it run for weeks on just one charge.

It's unlike using my iPad with the backlighting and the eyestrain after just a couple of hours. Not to mention the weight.

E-Ink readers are really perfect if you like to read a lot.

17. Kiko

Kiko Well-Known Member

When I bought my kindle, there is no paperwhite version yet. Attaching a light is kinda weird for me and I always seem to lose those clip on lights. What I do now is use the kindle non paperwhite when the light is on and just use my iPad mini when the lights are out. Turning on the wifi on both devices magically syncs to the page being read. of course, most of you guys know this already.

18. qt_arvin

qt_arvin Fore!
    Staff Member

I do the same, i use my Nook simple touch (E ink) reader during the day and switch to my Kindle Fire HD at night.

19. tiffitotz

tiffitotz Active Member

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! Decided on getting the eReader instead, particularly the Kobo Aura. Would gladly go for the Kindle if only it has an external storage and can read .epub files. Now to save some money for it. ;)

20. Kiko

Kiko Well-Known Member

Are the kobo readers still available at national bookstore?