Emoji

Discussion in 'iOS & iOS Apps' started by Pooh-C, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Pooh-C

Pooh-C Guest

Has anyone been able to make use of this? I've tried to include an emoji over a comment on facebook and an sms to a friend but they were all getting a japanese symbol :(

1st Gen iPhone user since April, 2008
    Current Version: 2.2

2. jabba

jabba New Member

Emoji is only popular in Japan. You can only send emoji to another person who is using an iphone with firmware version 2.2 or an emoji compatible japanese cell phone. The rest will just get japanese characters. It is different from the emoticons we normally use.

3. makingdots

makingdots Member

i read before that you can only use emoji feature if you are Softbank subscriber...
    where softbank = network carrier in japan

#3 makingdots, Jan 21, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  4. doblezeta

doblezeta Well-Known Member

For non-jailbroken iPhones, you can enable Emoji sending on your firmware 2.2 iPhone for the low low price of $4.99 using Touch Dial Emoji from the Appstore. I haven't tried this myself thou (P250 for Emoji???), but it looks pretty straightforward. :)

Any takers? :p

Instructions from Touch Dial Emoji app info:
    [​IMG]

5. Pooh-C

Pooh-C Guest

Emoji is pretty cool having 400 plus icons, too bad the feature's generally useless in our country. Do we have a similar feature in iPhone that contains the normal icons we use?

6. Rain Man

Rain Man Member

am using emoji but that cannot be discussed here coz the app is only available for jailbroken units. check out applei.ph

7. doblezeta

I found a cheaper way to enable Emoji on Non-jailbroken iPhones. Just buy this app from the AppStore. It's only $.99 so its $4 cheaper than that app i mentioned above. :)

8. kaloyster

kaloyster Member

the thing i don't like about this is other phone unit doesn't support emoji. so if you send them SMS with an emojicon, it doesn't show up correctly.

9. blkmini

blkmini Member

While most of the people enable Japanese emoji [​IMG] letters by modifying system files, here is a solution that lets you to use it without jailbreak or modifying any files. It uses the technique to import 27 address book contacts in iPhone, and recall it using the Japanese keyboard. Note this will make 27 new contacts to the iPhone. You may want to create a new group for that.

Step 1. Download the vcard.vcf here.
    Step 2. Import it to your address book program. If you are using Windows, you may want to do it on iPhone directly. Send the vcard.vcf file to yourself. Open in on iPhone’s Email.app, click the vcf file and import all the contacts.
    Step 3. Go into “Settings” > “General” > “Keyboard” > “Japanese Keyboard”. Enable the QWERTY keyboard.
    Step 4. In notes or any other program you want. Type “emojia”, “emojii” or “emojiu” to select those [​IMG] icons.
    Step 5. Happy Emoji!

via: http://www.winandmac.com/mobile/how-to-enable-japanese-emoji-icons-without-jailbreak/

Have not tried this method though as my phone is jailbroken.

10. witch_md

witch_md Active Member

From iPhone Alley:

Update #2: We've received word from jedimacfan of a free alternative for enabling Emoji. Spell Number [App Store] now includes an easter egg which enables Emoji if you type in 9876543.2. Once you do that, simply turn on Emoji and you're set!

They're so fun to look at on my Calendar. Reminds me of my old Palm's PIM.

#10 witch_md, Feb 10, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  11. jei_go_chan

jei_go_chan Guest

the correct number is 9876543.21 and it works for NON-jailbroken 2.2 and 2.2.1 units. after inputting, exit and go to SETTINGS, GENERAL, KEYBOARD, INTERNATIONAL, JAPANESE and there will be an option for EMOJI

http://www.waterworld.com.hk/spell_number_easter_egg

12. jaytrixz

jaytrixz Active Member

There's a new free app that does enable emoji on legit non-jailbroken iPhones. It's called EmotiFun!. Just install the app, tap it, press home, go to settings, general, keyboard, international keyboards, japanese and toggle Emoji.

It's a lot simpler than Spell Number. :D

13. ssowy

ssowy Member

Emotifun! just got pulled from the Appstore.

14. kili-kili power

for those using spellnumber, do the emoji icons come out to sms you send on iphone 2.2? or does its only work with those who have emoji activated? what about posting here in philumug? :)

15. antski

antski Well-Known Member

it comes out on other iphones with 2.2 even if they don't have emoji enabled.

16. doblezeta

The Emoji will appear on any iPhone / iPod Touch running firmware 2.2.x, regardless of whether or not that device has had Emoji activated. Of course he can only reply in Emoji if his Emoji is activated.

It depends on the website / application if the Emoji icons will appear. Some sites support Emoji icons, same with some twitter apps (Twinkle for example). I don't think the vbulletin forum software that PhilMUG is using currently supports Emoji icons. It will probably appear as squares.

17. rage30

rage30 Member

Does this work on firmware 3.0?

18. rowmann1223

rowmann1223 Member

yes it works on firmware 3.0

19. majesta24

majesta24 Member

nice find... another reason why not to JB my iphone... ^_^

20. rage30

rage30 Member

I got it!!! I just don't know if the recipients will be able to see this even if they are using nokia and other branded phones.