Electric Cars

Discussion in 'General OT' started by Juice, Jun 1, 2018.

1. VicB

VicB PhilMUG Addict Member

There should be government incentives for the car companies to sell their hybrid vehicles (lower import taxes for hybrids, etc.). EVs may be the final goal but it will take time to build charging station networks. The hybrids can fill the gap in the meantime.

Juice likes this.
  2. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

3. ice

Subaru plans to sell only electric cars by the middle of the 2030s | Engadget

4. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

There's an article by Philippine Star about Electric Vehicles. I have no information to what Nissan has with the government, but I do hope they're successful.

In Jame's Deakin's post, there was a Tesla model X spotted in Rockwell.

raypin likes this.
  5. warmgreentea

warmgreentea PhilMUG Addict Member

If it is color white, it's probably that model X which I always see parked around Tomas Morato. Sometimes I also see it roaming around when I leave for work.

Probably a neighbor of mine in the Scout area. :ROFLMAO:

TOBACCO likes this.
  6. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

mm...the news article reads like a nissan advertorial. And it failed to touch on the most important point: price of the nissan leaf once nissan introduces it to the ph market. 46% of filipinos are considering an ev but how many can actually afford it?

7. Juice

Supporter

It's a black Model X.

8. warmgreentea

Oh, seems like there are model Xes now roaming our streets.

Come to think of it, an ex-boss of mine drives a Model 3 to work around Makati area. It's a red one, and I see him posting about it in his instagram feed. :)

Juice likes this.
  9. Juice

Supporter

I'm pretty sure it is a Nissan advert. I think they should market EVs as a performer and not like an environmentalists vehicle. I only like the EV because it has so much torque :LOL:. So, I'm considering getting an EV by that standard. If it launches like golf cart, then forget about it. There's a big market for people who wants a car, that's an environmentally friendly mini road rocket.

raypin likes this.
  10. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

I heard on the grapevine a very, very rich Senator has ordered the Tesla Cybertruck, which may end up as a very, very expensive sculpture instead since its electric hub has to be installed with it, and it doesn’t come cheap, too.

Juice likes this.
  11. ice

It is! "Sponsored Article"

I'm also looking forward to electric cars locally, although I still cannot find figures on how long will the batteries last while on standstill traffic with the A/C on

As for my excitement with the Leaf... Nissan's e-pedal sounds smart and practical

Juice likes this.
  12. VicB

VicB PhilMUG Addict Member

Good point about how long the batteries would last with the A/C always on. EVs are driven mostly in Western countries where A/C is not a must. Not sure how Chinese EVs batteries last with A/C in China where it does get as hot there as it is here during their summers.

13. Juice

Supporter

I researched online, and it seems the Tesla has a compressor similar to a fridge, maybe 1 to 2 horsepower and the compressor wouldn't stay on all the time.

14. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

Honda E is out in the US and EU. 210km range is a bummer but looks like a good daily driver if you don't go out of town much.

15. ice

Yup... was able to read about this earlier when I was researching about Zelectric

After all my digging... I found an electric A/C system for cars... But can't find the number of hours it will run on battery power alone.

If you think about it... If electric A/C for cars were easily accessible... Then that same system can be used in our houses during emergency (powered by generators)

16. Juice

Supporter

I used to play with compressors to use for computers, and had the same thought. I asked an AC technician and he said, the compressor for cars is too small and would need to fill the bigger evaporator and condenser to be effective. Small components, will not be enough to cool a large area.

17. ice

^let's wait and see... until electric cars are locally available (or maybe BYD e6 owners here?)

I have long been dreaming of waiting for my wife in the parking lot with my A/C and TV on... (I used to do this when petrol as 11 pesos per liter :) )

Juice likes this.
  18. warmgreentea

I encountered two Tesla Model X(es) just hours apart while walking around BGC today. I saw a white one when I went out to buy lunch, and a gray one when I was leaving for a meeting around 3pm. Both had no plate #s. Is there a secret Tesla dealership around pinas? :ROFLMAO:

raypin likes this.
  19. marky2115

marky2115 Active Member

Saw a white Tesla earlier this week along Esperanza street (road between Greenbelt 2 and Residences). Not sure which model as I saw it driving away but looks like a sedan. So might be S or 3. I wonder how long pure EVs are going to last here in the metro. These Tesla owners in PH might really be filthy rich to afford shipping it here.

raypin likes this.
  20. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...it will take a very long time. Too expensive. Near zero EV charging stations (some Unioil stations etc.) outside home so those EVs are limited to milk runs in Metro Manila.

The brightest light? EVs for public transport.