Electric Cars

Discussion in 'General OT' started by Juice, Jun 1, 2018.

1. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

Questions and opinions for anyone who will potentially buy an electric car if it becomes available.

If let's say, one major gasoline station puts up super chargers in all of their stations across the nation would that be enough reason for you to buy an all electric car?

Do you prefer hybrid over all electric?

What would be on your wishlist for electric cars if it becomes available locally?

2. yoh_hectic

yoh_hectic PhilMUG Addict Member

It really depends on how you travel. If the places you visit have a charging station along your route then I see it as a no brainer.

Just my humble opinion but a plug-in hybrid vehicle may be more appropriate for the Philippines during a transition from gasoline/diesel.

Moving to electric may be appropriate by the year 2038 or 2048 when charging stations are hopefully equal or surpass gasoline station.

Unless of course you own your own solar panel array and you can repower using your own supply. :)

https://businessmirror.com.ph/petron-to-put-up-charging-hubs-for-electric-vehicles/

Juice and hitme64 like this.
  3. Aargh

Aargh Well-Known Member

without a hard push from the government, electric cars wouldn't be popular here in the Philippines. Just imagine the lobbying the giant petroleum corporations would do if our government suddenly decided to support electric cars.

hitme64 and kyubi like this.
  4. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

posted this at Tsikot earlier... It's last year episode from Bandila where Tesla owners cannot register their electric cars.

Has LTO updated their rules on electric cars?

I once watched a documentary on how to live with one...

It's not like petrol/diesel engines where you will look for a station to have your car charged.

BUT, you charge your car when you reach a friend/relatives house, mall or restaurant.

hitme64 likes this.
  5. Aargh

Aargh Well-Known Member

^
    Don't we have public electric vehicles already avaiable? And is it not that the governemnt is pushing for the jeepney modernization, which aside from the euro 4 engine compliance also include electric engine as an option? So I'm guessing it is now possible to register electric cars. Maybe we can get an answer from electric car owners themselves. So calling all Telsa owners here! hehehehe

hitme64 likes this.
  6. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

I was told that electric stations are to be put up in Clark and Subic this year to accommodate Toyota Priuses which were granted for use by the police courtesy of the Japanese government. It’s only in those places where the Priuses will be operational for the PNP.

I actually drove a Prius in New York and rode in one here from QC to Clark. Other than being gearless, its basically the same old car configuration with Alexa/Siri on board to tell you how fast, how much energy, or how long the trip has been...

Same old, same old.

raypin likes this.
  7. Ejaxene

Ejaxene Well-Known Member

You don't need a charging station... these cars come with adapters that you can plug into your own home.

I live outside the Philippines and the option of acquiring an electric car here has been getting more attractive as petrol prices increase---now at $2.29 per litre. I also live in a country where there is massive demand for Japanese import cars so we have access to lots of cars the Japanese don't want anymore and that includes electric cars.

We also have a lot of free fast charging stations in supermarkets, libraries, petrol stations, etc. They're everywhere. I've been told a single charge for a Nissan Leaf Gen 1 (very popular here) can give you mileage up to 120 km (more than enough-- work to house, back and forth),... and if you charged at home a full charge would cost about $7.00, longer charging times.. could be plugged in while you're sleeping.

My partner's car repayments is $200 something per fortnight... and petrol is about $120 per fortnight (used to be around $100)... it's getting expensive. If we were to get an electric car loan repayments would be just about the same but we won't have to pay for petrol anymore.

That's just about the extent of my research... haven't factored in what could happen in years when the cars' batteries degrade etc etc. But it's just easy to sell it off to the car yard anyway and move on to the next one...

Here's info about the Nissan Leaf I found on the internet: https://samholford.github.io/leafguide/

Not too worried about my car because I only drive a cheap car with a small engine.

We’re still thinking about it as it’s really nice to have long drives/road trips where we’re living and with an electric car one day drive will extend to more days... not all cities have fast chargers and you really have to plan your route.

#7 Ejaxene, Jun 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
    greta87 and Aargh like this.
  8. Aargh

Aargh Well-Known Member

One of the biggest benefit of electric cars is that it produce 0 direct emissions. Electric car is the future of automobile. It's just a matter of when.

greta87 likes this.
  9. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

If I were asked, I would prefer EVs over hybrid. Though obviously, there are advantages and disadvantages on either designs, I just prefer the plug-in EV simply because it's not using an internal-combustion engine (ICE).

But frankly, it's hard to see the mass transition to EVs happening in our lifetime... at least here in the PH. 1st world countries should be generally ok with it. But here, where we can't even phase-out 2-stroke engines, let alone banning ICE, it's going to be an uphill battle to 'electrify... both politically and economically. Maybe 20 years pa, minimum.

Super Chargers means they're for Teslas. PH is price-sensitive and I think that before Tesla could even darken our doorway, we'll see Chinese/Asian-made plug-in EVs going mainstream first.

Another issue is safety. EVs, with their highly-volatile Lithium power packs are a ticking incendiary time bomb. We've seen in the news what happens to a Tesla if the pack is damaged in an accident. And even though the accident itself was humanly survivable, the battery fire that ensues prevents 1st aid and EMT responders from saving the occupants. That's Tesla na. I don't imagine the Chinese would be able to even approach Tesla's safety, quality or reputation.

10. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...Manny Pangilinan brought in a Tesla a couple of years ago but in the absence of government regulations, the LTO refused registration. Hence, the Tesla can only be used within the Meralco compound. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I’d love to use an EV but I don’t think the support infra and regulations will be in place within my lifetime.

11. ice

If I'm not mistaken (I'm not based there)

LTO allows electric vehicles with a speed limit of 60km/h... I believe it was also mentioned in the video I posted .

12. Juice

Supporter

I am told that it is now a reality. Which means, there will be charging stations all around the country, starting with Metro Manila. Of course, these are not confirmed.

13. Juice

Supporter

Shell is also putting up their own charging stations. Sorry no source.

14. ice

This makes a lot of sense for developing countries...

I don't think our office buildings/malls will update their parking to accommodate charging stations... ever :)

Honda will use electric bikes to test swappable batteries | Engadget

15. Juice

Supporter

That's true. But, I would guess Ayala Malls, would be the first to adopt such arrangements when the situation calls for it.

16. ice

I agree, Ayala might go first...

But here's my personal take since we're talking about PHL setting...

You go to a mall/office and park your car to charge...
    4 hours later, car is fully charged. Will you go leave your spot to find a normal parking space (and the next EV owner can also charge)
    OR you just unplug your car and keep the slot - its hard to look for another parking slot.

With removable battery packs (maybe cars can use a trolley :) )
    You can park your vehicle anywhere then have the battery charged at the office. (or maybe malls can have battery deposit counters where they keep and charge the battery for you)

17. Juice

Supporter

I can picture it now. Aside from car wash boys, there’s also charging boys.
    I did watch a documentary where they suggested batteries bein replaced by charged ones. However the texh of plugging is already in place.

There will most likely be more announcements later in the year. Let’s hope the public EV transpo will open up for the private EV as well.

18. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

there's a good chance that the Chinese will dominate this industry and will flood our country with their EVs

19. leninmac

leninmac PhilMUG Addict Member

236BE3F7-E158-4858-A380-7B7E5C8C98EA.png
    Well there’s already a Chinese car manufacturer that sells Hybrid cars in the Philippines. It’s BYD. Their hybrid cars can actually run on electric power for 80kms. The BYD cars here in Singapore are 100% electric primarily used by Grab and UBER operators.

greta87 likes this.
  20. ice

greta87 likes this.