eero - Mesh WiFi networking

Discussion in 'OS X Server / Xserve / Networking' started by PatrickGaerlan, Feb 16, 2015.

1. chluna

chluna New Member

I bought 2 refurbished first-gen eeros from Amazon when they became available. Placed the gateway at the second floor, while the other node is directly below in the second floor. I just disabled the WLAN of the the PLDT-supplied ONU and plugged the gateway on LAN1. Setup was unbelievably quick and problem-free.

My family has always complained about the internet connection getting unreliable and slow (due to the number of devices connected to it), but now, I don't hear anything at all since it was installed a few weeks ago. Also, the whole house has been covered with wireless, which was not even possible with our previous setup of PLDT modem/router + repeater! I even thought of asking PLDT to bridge the ONU just to obtain a P2P-compatible NAT type for the Switch, but it looks like I don't need to do that.

I definitely recommend it.

2. Longfellow

Longfellow New Member

How's your Eero up to date usage? I have a similar set up as yours, it's a headache and the repeater seems to be retarded and keeps disconnecting.

3. chluna

chluna New Member

I have no issues with it. I did have a TP-Link repeater in my previous setup that worked pretty okay, but not as great as the eero. I have also tried bridging the modem by requesting it through PLDT, but it slowed the downlink and caused a loss of connection after a hard reboot of the modem. It was a good thing I was able to reset the modem to the default settings and brought it back to route mode.

Longfellow likes this.
  4. Longfellow

Longfellow New Member

Okay. That sounds like a great improvement. Is the new setup PLDT Modem then Eero?

How do you deal with needing more ports? Would it be PLDT Modem then 1 Eero then a Linksys router with 4 ports then 2 extra Eero (not beam) with each port possible?

5. chluna

chluna New Member

Yes, that is my setup. It is double NAT, unfortunately. I only have a Raspberry Pi that I use as Pi-hole which is connected via Ethernet, so there are no ports available on the gateway eero. If I had a need for more ports, I would rather buy a cheap, dumb switch connected to any eero.

I am not sure completely understand your network topology, but is it like this?

modem
    >gateway eero
    >Linksys router (via Ethernet)
    >leaf eero 1 (via mesh)
    >leaf eero 2 (via mesh)

6. Longfellow

Longfellow New Member

Is it complicated to do the raspberry pi?

My current setup is:

Modem
    >Linksys router via ethernet
    >PLDT Repeater

My question was:

Scenario 1:
    Modem
    >gateway Eero #1 (via ethernet)
    >Linksys Router (via ethernet)
    >Eero #2 (not the beacon)(mesh)
    >Eero #3 (not beacon) (mesh)

Scenario 2:
    Modem
    >Linksys Router (via ethernet)
    >Eero #1 (not the beacon)(via ethernet)
    >Eero #2 (not the beacon)(mesh)
    >Eero #3 (not the beacon)(mesh)

I hope this clarifies it. I’m not sure if there’s a difference between the 2 scenarios or if there’s a diminishing return.

7. chluna

chluna New Member

Both would be fine, I think. Your main issue would be NAT, so I suggest that you bridge your Linksys router if possible. Again, it would be much simpler to buy a dumb switch if you just need more Ethernet ports for your setup. You could just connect it to any eero.