Early 2021 iMac M1

Discussion in 'iMac' started by yoh_hectic, Oct 28, 2020.

1. Daughter of Pismo

Daughter of Pismo New Member

I noticed this too! I think I might get my first vesa arm soon with my iMac!

I'm looking forward to get an orange one! I remember when I was a kid, my dad bought me an orange iBook! I always loved the color!

Salaryman Ryan likes this.
  2. warmgreentea

warmgreentea PhilMUG Addict Member

I have this nagging feeling that someone in our government has ordered yellow, blue, and red iMacs for their offices. :censored:

Given how I'm so used to the 27inch 5k screen, I'm curious how noticeable the less .5 pixels will these new iMacs look like. Kind of scared that if a 30inch iMac Pro with 5k/8k screen comes out, that might cost 4k USD base price and all. (n)

3. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

Yeah, I share the same worry. Considering you can't upgrade RAM or storage yourself, we will be forced to buy Apple's inflated upgrade prices.

Daughter of Pismo likes this.
  4. yoh_hectic

yoh_hectic PhilMUG Addict Member

5. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

Seriously attracted to the purple one.

Although, when you install the iMac against the wall, that lovely purple at the back (or even that amazing teal) won't matter anymore, as all you'll see is the lighter shade of that color.

6. warmgreentea

Among all the colors, I really like the green one, then the blue one. They are all so aesthetically nice, but as many reviewers said, the chin is still something I need to unsee. What I'm surprised about is the overall volume of the device, I mean it really does look light! Some reviewer even said that it feels like it is just an iPad with a stand and they all just lifting it around with just one arm. Superb engineering for its power, especially this is an all in one.

If there wasn't a pandemic right now, I wouldn't be surprised if some people would bring one in coffee shops to work with.

7. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

Yeah, almost all reviewers mentioned that chin but wasn't a deal breaker for most of them. iJustine was so effusive and cloyingly excited about the 7 colors that she unboxed in her video. She did say that she may keep three of the colors sent to her.

At this point, the M1 isn't the issue anymore as it has proven itself many times over since it came out, and I guess there isn't any point in rehashing the Geekbench and Cinebench tests in single- or multi-core parameters. I mean, c’mon, the fans don't even activate throughout the tests. I have the base MBA M1 (8/7 cores) and the temp stayed at 8°C throughout Cinebench.

My one concern is the TBW of the 256gb SSD I have, that's why I keep the Activity Monitor running all the time to check the swapping (if any) that's going on. The figures are very low, leading me to believe the 8Gb RAM is sufficient for my needs. The biggest memory hogging app I had is Roon, and I changed that to Audirvana (bonus: single payment, not monthly sub) that’s also the front end of my Tidal subscription.

8. warmgreentea

Sigh, my work will eat 256gb really fast, so I need at least 512gb with an attached (at least) 1tb SSD drive. Bummer that it doesn't use M.4 SSDs, which could have been an easy solution. The two lowest needs for me are an instant +20k for the spec bumps: 512gb ssd and 16gb ram, which is discouraging. I guess I'll hold on to my 2017 27incher a little more longer.

9. Chito Limson

Chito Limson Unfrozen…
    Staff Member

Instead of spending on the bloated prices (Apple tax) for internal SSD upgrades, I would go the route of getting an outboard SSD connected via an OWC Thunderbolt 3 dock.

Seven Leaves and jayparalejas like this.
  10. jayparalejas

jayparalejas Well-Known Member

This is great advice, for the price of the internal ssd upgrade you can buy a TB3/USB4 Dock and SSD. And down the line you can upgrade to an M1X and use the same accessories. TB3/USB4 Is here to stay.

11. warmgreentea

Oh! I totally forgot about this thing. It is indeed a good upgrade with all the ports it supports. Thunderbolt sure is a powerful port to supply power and accept all those inputs all at once.

Zoey, Seven Leaves and Chito Limson like this.
  12. Seven Leaves

Seven Leaves Active Member

Good news fellas. You can now purchase the new iMac on Apple’s PH website.

Daughter of Pismo likes this.
  13. Daughter of Pismo

Daughter of Pismo New Member

I ordered na the blue one! Can't wait!

14. Salaryman Ryan

So excited! I already ordered 3 units to replace my old white iMacs in my office! BTOed the RAM to 16GB and added an ethernet to the power brick. Hopefully this will last another 14 years. Hahah

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. esquire15

esquire15 New Member

Ordered a blue one with upgraded RAM and SSD. Due to arrive at the end of July to early August so it’s going to be a bit of a wait. Whew.

Salaryman Ryan and Theus like this.
  16. yoh_hectic

yoh_hectic PhilMUG Addict Member

RGB: Red, Green & Blue

Seven Leaves and Salaryman Ryan like this.
  17. Hero33

Hero33 PhilMUG Addict Member

plan to get some when the release the 30” could you ask if apple allows the official receipt to be under a company name so we can get reimbursed ?

18. rabby

rabby Well-Known Member

I also ordered recently from Apple PH online (not iMac) but mine's been sitting at the DHL warehouse for 2 days, when I checked the apple website it will arrive in the next 2 weeks pa, probably due to logistics (queue), it looks like they will really hold it there. kung nasa pinas lang yan ako na kukuha :D

19. Salaryman Ryan

During the pandemic I ordered 2 Macbook Airs and a MacBook Pro through Apple Online PH and had similar experiences (items being held for days etc). However, all of them were still delivered earlier than expected. Usually a week earlier! So hopefully it will happen to you as well. :)

Heck even the delivery dates of the iMacs I have currently on order were bumped up a few days earlier (from July 13-21 to July 6-7)!

[​IMG]