Early 2021 iMac M1

Discussion in 'iMac' started by yoh_hectic, Oct 28, 2020.

1. Flipbizkit

Flipbizkit Member

Looks like a cheap Acer knockoff of an iMac. I hope the next design for the 27 inch will be better.

2. yoh_hectic

yoh_hectic PhilMUG Addict Member

The 27" or larger iMac will probably make its debut exactly 7 weeks from today at WWDC 2021 in June or by December 2021 when the Mac Pro and iMac Pro traditionally ships.

Acer has a number of AIO SKUs that in no way looks like the new iMac.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#22 yoh_hectic, Apr 21, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
    Daughter of Pismo likes this.
  3. yoh_hectic

Trabajo na naman. :ROFLMAO:

To be fair Apple this may lower down the cost of manufacture, design and possibly after sales servicing.

How often does the iMac's PSU break down? When it breaks then swap out the part easily.

This 2021 iMac 24" separate PSU outputs a max of 143W. This is in contrast to the highest-end 2019 iMac 21.5" internal PSU output of 205W.

An over 30% reduction in power consumption without considering the increase screen size of this iMac and yet performance per watt improvement.

The iMac Pro's PSU is 500W and iMac 27" PSU is 310W. Will the late 2021 iMac 32" power supply be 214-345W? The XDR display's max power consumption is 105W.

A disappointment of mine with the iMac's Touch ID is that they did not impment it on the power button at the back of the iMac.

Would it not be cheaper to do it that way?

With the pandemic if I wish I had Touch ID instead of Face ID especially when I go to banks and I need to unlock my iPhone. Being so exposed I feel vulnerable and it does not help when I have to remove my face mask to get into my banking app.

#23 yoh_hectic, Apr 21, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
  4. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

mm…beta version of iOS and Watch OS already allows iPhone unlock of face ID using the Watch with mask on. It works.

I think you can still unlock the new iMac with password if touch ID on the keyboard malfunctions or gets lost.

5. yoh_hectic

To be honest they should have done that watchOS unlock as early as 12 months ago.

As for Touch ID on a wireless keyboard it adds needless complexity and cost when a more cost effective solution that has worked with all Macbooks with Touch ID is to implement it on the power button itself.

Face ID's a nice gimmick to differentiate once's self from the herd but this pandemic proves that TouchID is a better solution when one wears a mask.

If you're like me and waiting for a larger screen replacement of the iMac 27" then be willing to wait as early as 7 weeks from today or by December 2021 for the announcement.

I fully expect to receive my purchase by Q1 2022 due to global chip shortage.

Man, I hope the wait does not mean I'll be buying a M1 chip iMac months from now. From supply chain point of view it makes sense but if you want POOOOOWWEERRRRRRR it just sucks.

I was expecting this iMac 24" to have a 5nm discreet GPU approaching the performance of a Nvidia GeForce RTX 3090 or AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT

raypin likes this.
  6. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...it is not just chips that are in critical shortage (billions in lost revenues for most automakers) but the latest tsismis is there is a run on SSDs and nVME flash storage because the Chinese are buying those storage devices in bulk at whatever price because of a certain new cryptocurrency that relies on storage as a means of mining said crypto, unlike Bitcoin which relies on GPUs. In HK, SSD prices have increased by HKD 200 because of this buying spree ( source: South China Morning Post).

So, those who are planning to upgrade to SSD or nVME better buy now while there are still supplies.

7. yoh_hectic

Thanks for the insight.

This is the iMac 24" in VESA mount form.
    [​IMG]

• Width: 21.5 inches (54.7 cm)
    • Without stand depth: 0.45 inches (1.14 cm)
    • Without stand height: 14.37 inches (36.5 cm)
    If you want to travel with it rather than say a Macbook then it may be a viable check-in item.

What I would have wanted from this iMac is the bezels being less than 6mm and the chin being removed entirely.

I do not mind a thicker iMac beyond 1.14cm to say less than 2cm to accommodate an internal power supply.

8. Silentwill

Silentwill Active Member

A45A9E91-A241-4911-A766-EEC2039A0645.jpeg
    2D21A12E-5AB8-42CF-AB9A-275EE62D1EB9.jpeg
    Someone posted these mock ups on what he thinks the new iMac should have looked like. Look much better yes, but knowing where the internals are, this would not have worked. They'll need to make it thicker to achieve the no chin look. That would not be too bad though if they're a little thicker.

9. Cmmig

Cmmig PhilMUG Addict Member

10. warmgreentea

warmgreentea PhilMUG Addict Member

It seems that more of my lady/girl friends are really digging the new iMac and reposting it as a thing that they want, but many of us dudes aren't really sold on how it looks as we're really bothered by the chin and white bezels, even if my many of my friends are designers and content creators. We agree that this is an engineering feat though.

Maybe because there's no black or space gray that didn't satisfy the desires of men for iMacs that's why many of us are a bit disappointed on the aesthetics side. :ROFLMAO:

11. warmgreentea

warmgreentea PhilMUG Addict Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Whew, these render concepts are (y)

sandybridge_guy likes this.
  12. yoh_hectic

They should put a Lenovo ThinkCentre logo on that and no one would be the wiser.

13. sandybridge_guy

sandybridge_guy PhilMUG Addict Member

Make this 27” and this is a Day 1 Preorder thing for me.

Sunil_K likes this.
  14. Escritor

Escritor Member

overall it is nice, something new.

I believe the ladies and the kids would love it

but personally, hard pass.

I'll sit this one out, probably I'll get a more affordable 2019 iMac (I still prefer the old design vs. the new/early 2021 Colors) since we expect price drop/good deals in the upcoming weeks.

for M1 , I am decided to go for a 2020 MBP instead of the Colors (we will also expect good deals for this in the upcoming months)

15. yoh_hectic

I've been looking around for a large monitor for a Thinkpad that can charge it via 75W USB PD and found this low pixel per inch 32" ThinkVision T32h-20.

It's equivalent to 2.5K resolution of the 2012 iMac 27" and is half the resolution of the 5K iMac 27" and 41.67% of the 32" 6K XDR display.

It is in black with top, left and right bezels measuring 2mm. It's chin is around 10mm?

Do you prefer a front design like this? That appears to answer the wanted design of the iMac M1

The red plastic at the base of the stand is smartphone holder. That's a feature I'd love to see on the iMac 32".

Size Unpacked w/o Stand (head only) (D x H x W)

ThinkVision T32h-20: 23.5 x 42.6 x 71.46cm

iMac 27" 20.3 x 51.6 x 65cm

[​IMG]

#35 yoh_hectic, Apr 24, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2021
  16. Hero33

Hero33 PhilMUG Addict Member

Meh.

I’m gonna pass till the 30 inch comes out.

can’t go smaller than 27 for my iMac na.

17. cybersniper

cybersniper PhilMUG Addict Member

@yoh_hectic

I have its little brother - the 24" version... which serves as a secondary monitor for my 2015 iMac. Build Quality is so... so... but performance-wise, it's ok and serves the purpose. However, even calibrated with Spyder Calibration Tool, it's really hard and cannot replicate the colors of Macs. - just letting you know, in case this is important to you. But for having just a larger external screen, it could definitely do the job.

18. yoh_hectic

So as not make this out of topic I was referencing the ThinkVision's industrial design aesthetic towards those who want a black/space grey iMac 24" with minimal bezels and a less pronounce chin.

ThinkVision allows for less materials to be used in terms of width and height and more desk space savings but it isn't as a design stand out. It does not draw out an emotional reaction. Its physical depth makes its total volume higher than those of the iMac 24".

No doubt that any Mac will have a superior image quality screen that has higher Nits of brightness, increased pixel density and color completeness/accuracy but if the application is MS Excel then one would want to readily focus on column A to Y and Rows 1 to 55 at the same time without a magnifying glass or need for scrolling. :)

Which brings me to the ThinkVision T27h-2L that got released this week by Lenovo Philippines for a surprisingly low price of 15,499 or $321 compared to other nation's pricing. I am deciding on the 32" or 27" to assign to Thinkpads that now enjoy the same charging/video/audio/data through 1 USB-C cable like us MacBook users have enjoyed for over a decade.

[​IMG]

#38 yoh_hectic, Apr 25, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
  19. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

Yeah, I was hoping the design would have been a little more innovative.

With that said, It should look better in the metal. Can't wait to see them in person!

I'm planning to replace 3 of my ancient 2007 white iMacs at the office soon. Hopefully, Apple Store PH will permit orders at the end of the month. Will be getting the entry-level red, blue, and green. Hehe. I know everyone is complaining about the white bezels but boy I do love them because it reminds me so much of my old bondi blue, Sunflower G4, and white intel iMacs.

The super thin and light form factor will make this a perfect pair for a VESA arm. From a logistics and shipping point of view, the iMac's lithe body might be Apple's clever way to save a bit on shipping cost too.

#39 Salaryman Ryan, May 14, 2021
    Last edited: May 14, 2021
  20. Seven Leaves

Seven Leaves Active Member

I like the design. Might get the orange with 16gb of RAM and 1tb of storage. Basically a little cheaper than my last Mac desktop which was a Core 2 Duo 24 inch White iMac (with a glorious maximum ram capacity of 4GB) I bought for 2,800 USD.