Early 2021 iMac M1

Discussion in 'iMac' started by yoh_hectic, Oct 28, 2020.

1. yoh_hectic

yoh_hectic PhilMUG Addict Member

Report: Apple Silicon iMac Featuring Desktop Class 'A14T' Chip Coming First Half of 2021
    Tuesday October 27, 2020 4:14 am PDT by Tim Hardwick
    The first iMac powered by Apple Silicon is set to arrive in the first half of next year and will feature a desktop class "A14T" chip, according to Chinese-language newspaper The China Times.

[​IMG]
    Codenamed "Mt. Jade," Apple's first custom-made desktop processor will be twinned with its first self-developed GPU, codenamed "Lifuka," both of which are being produced using TSMC's 5-nanometer process, claims the report.

In addition to the first Apple Silicon processor A14X for the MacBook, which is already in volume production using TSMC's 5-nanometer technology, according to Apple's supply chain, Apple will launch its first self-developed GPU under the research and development code name Lifuka next year, and its first desktop processor A14T under the research and development code name Mt.Jade, both produced using TSMC's 5-nanometer process.

Today's story is based on the development timeline of Apple's new A14 processors, which recently debuted in the iPhone 12 series and the new fourth-generation iPad Air, and builds on a similar report that arrived in September from the same source. It also brings forward the previously claimed launch roadmap of the first Apple Silicon iMac, and reiterates previous claims that Apple's first Arm-based Mac will be a MacBook powered by an A14X processor, codenamed "Tonga," which is already in mass production and will launch by the end of 2020. That MacBook is said to revive the 12-inch form factor in a new super-lightweight design.

Apple announced at its WWDC developer conference in June that its Macs will transition from Intel x86-based CPUs to its self-designed Arm-based ‌‌Apple Silicon‌‌ processors over the next two years. Bloomberg has said that Apple is currently developing at least three Mac processors that are based on the 5-nanometer A14 chip.

[​IMG]
    Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has predicted that the first Mac models to adopt Arm-based chips will be a 13.3-inch MacBook Pro and a 24-inch iMac with a redesigned form factor, with Apple planning to launch the new models in the fourth quarter of 2020 or early in 2021 at the earliest. Prior to the launch of its Arm-based ‌‌iMac‌‌, Apple is expected to refresh the existing Intel ‌‌iMac‌‌.

Today's report also claims that Apple has already started working on an A15 series chip using TSMC's 5nm enhanced (N5P) process. The A15 will feature in next year's "iPhone 13," and like the A14 series, modified versions identified as A15X and A15T will provide the foundation for the second generation of Apple Silicon MacBooks and iMacs, with chip production beginning in the third quarter of 2021.

Apple has said it will debut the first Arm-based Mac by the end of the year, and a November event is rumored to take place on November 17.

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/10/27/apple-silicon-imac-coming-1h-2021-a14t/

2. Hero33

Hero33 PhilMUG Addict Member

getting excited for this to replace my 5k Retina. At the M1's pace, itll probably be amazing.

3. lamski

lamski PhilMUG Addict Member

I hope they make a 27 inch version as well.

Theus likes this.
  4. yoh_hectic

2021 iMac out!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pricing and Availability
    • The new 24-inch iMac is available to order beginning Friday, April 30, on apple.com and in the Apple Store app. It will begin arriving to customers and be available in select Apple Store locations and through Apple Authorized Resellers beginning in the second half of May.
    • iMac with 7-core GPU starts at $1,299 (~₱70,365.65 VAT inc) and $1,249 (~₱67,657.19 VAT inc) for education, and is available in green, pink, blue, and silver. It features an 8-core CPU, 8GB of unified memory, 256GB SSD, two Thunderbolt ports, Magic Keyboard, and Magic Mouse.
    • iMac with 8-core GPU starts at $1,499 (~₱81,199.46 VAT inc) and $1,399 (~₱75,782.55 VAT inc) for education, and is available in green, yellow, orange, pink, purple, blue, and silver. It features an 8-core CPU, 8GB of unified memory, 256GB SSD, two Thunderbolt ports, two additional USB 3 ports, Magic Keyboard with Touch ID, Magic Mouse, and Ethernet.
    Press release: https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2021...ibrant-colors-m1-chip-and-45k-retina-display/

#4 yoh_hectic, Apr 21, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
  5. warmgreentea

warmgreentea PhilMUG Addict Member

Liking all the new things about the new iMac, but that chin is still large. I'm pretty sure it'll be nicer in person. Nice new features for the magic keyboard tho!

6. Silentwill

Silentwill Active Member

Looks as thin as iPad. I don't really mind the chin but they do look like easy to tumble over accidentally.

7. warmgreentea

warmgreentea PhilMUG Addict Member

8. yoh_hectic

I like
    • Redesign arrived 12 months earlier than I was expecting
    • I love the diversity of color but that adds to cost in a world where desktops make up 1 out of 4 computers sold.
    • Now uses Apple Silicon
    • Uses far less materials than previous iMac
    • In terms of volume it is said to be 50% less than the last iMac's design
    I dislike
    • This does not perform better than a Nvidia GeForce RTX 3090 or AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT
    • M1 chip from 2020? Really?
    • USB-C ports are not all Thunderbolt
    • Bezle is rather thick for 2021
    • Webcam isn't using the back camera of the iPhone 12
    • Good bye memory card slot
    • Good bye USB-A and Ethernet port for ₱73,990 base model. It's there for the ₱85,990 & up model
    • 8GB of RAM at that price... really?
    • Power brick... really?
    • Ethernet port on the Power brick.... really?
    • Magsafe for the iMac... really? The MagSafe we want is on the Macbook! Not the iPhone or iMac!!
    • I'm on a 27" and want the 32" 6K model with a beefier Apple Silicon chip
    • No more Apple logo at the center chin... how can I remind myself I spent more for less?

[​IMG]

#8 yoh_hectic, Apr 21, 2021
  9. Silentwill

Silentwill Active Member

I didn't catch how the ethernet to power works. Will have to re-watch.

10. cybersniper

cybersniper PhilMUG Addict Member

so gay! how about the 27" version?

The company needs to bring back Jony Ive.

11. yoh_hectic

I suspect the larger than 27" version will be called the iMac Pro and will come in black and or silver/white.

It will ship to the Philippines probably December 2021 due to the chip shortage.

This iMac's power adapter is 143W. I suspect the peak power consumption to be 115W to drive a higher clocked M1 chip.

I should've slept at 8 and wake up after 4.

#11 yoh_hectic, Apr 21, 2021
    sandybridge_guy and cybersniper like this.
  12. sandybridge_guy

sandybridge_guy PhilMUG Addict Member

What I suspect as well, as there’s a lot of people whispering about a Fall release of M1X 27” iMac Pro in Slate, Silver and White.

I know I can hold my breath until Fall while I type this to a 2011 11” MBA.

Sunil_K likes this.
  13. Shinahashirome

Shinahashirome Active Member

The redesign is fine, what I don't understand is that they didn't redesign the magic mouse charging port location. Ugghhh

14. yoh_hectic

I'm replying to you on my 2012 iMac 27" that Apple quoted a trade-in value of $240 only.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

sandybridge_guy likes this.
  15. Theus

Theus PhilMUG Addict Member

where's the good ol' boring space grey? I understand how it could be more expensive but I wouldn't mind. having said that, I'll still get one of these, the silver, or red, any color just not the purple. this would be a justified purchase as it replaces our trusty 2013 iMac. besides, any self respecting MBA M1 owner shouldn't be deprived of a matching iMac M1 ;)

16. yoh_hectic

17. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...because the usual placement of the ethernet port is at the back of the computer. For cleaner cable management, ethernet is now on the power brick which you can place on the floor. Out of sight. So, the power cable is the only cable you connect to the computer and it provides both power and wired connectivity to the internet.

gaol and Silentwill like this.
  18. Silentwill

Silentwill Active Member

Yup saw it when I watched the replay. I think it's a brilliant idea, less port yet no need for dongle just for ethernet like in Macbooks.

raypin likes this.
  19. yoh_hectic

Globally the ratio of desktops vs laptops is between 1:3 & 2:3. Philippines its more 3:2 pre-pandemic and now 2:3 today.

That is why I am amazed that Apple gave so much colors of a low volume product.

I would wager that the Macbook Pro 16" sells more units than all iMacs combined and yet the colors are fairly limited.

You can tell how much volume an Apple product has based on color options and price points.

Here's the power brick of the higher-end iMac. For the lower-end iMac you'll need to use a USB-C dongle to get an Ethernet port.

If they can incorproate that idea into a Macbook for Ethernet, HDMI and USB-A then that would be awesome. Heck... pack in a 20,000mAh batter then the better. This would make the power brick into a USB-C dongle, multi-port charger and powerbank.

What I dislike about this design for the iMac is that creates clutter on the floor or table rather than just a cable.

[​IMG]

20. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm…use velcro to attach the power brick to the backplate of your computer desk so you will never see it ever again. Also run the power cable along the back legs of the computer desk using cable clips. Easy to hide them.

Cable management

Chito Limson and Silentwill like this.