dying hard drive?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air, MacBook & MacBook Pro' started by sawtooth, Mar 16, 2009.

1. sawtooth

sawtooth Member

hey guys im hearing some wierd clicking/blipping/churning sounds on the hard drive section on my macbook pro..does this mean its about to die out on me? it keeps repeating evry once in a while:eek:

2. acnugteel

acnugteel Member

Do the backup thing.

3. johannes

johannes PhilMUG Chairman
    Staff Member Chairman

Probably. Those are classic symptoms.

1. Launch Disk Utility. Select your hard drive and check S.M.A.R.T. status (bottom section of Disk Utility). It should say "verified". If it says "failing", don't waste a single minute. Backup your files.

2. Backup your files. (yes, I repeated this intentionally)

3. If the disconcerting sounds persist, I suggest you pay your suking Apple service center a visit.

4. sawtooth

sawtooth Member

the sound has stopped, but i do remember at that time i checked my istat pro the diode temp was at 72 and heatsink was 64,could it be caused by the overheating?

5. essay

essay Active Member

that clicking sound is scary.

even if the sound has stopped, I will still do a backup of all my files, or clone it using either carbon copy cloner or super duper.

that is really a symptom of a dying HD.

I did not know it before. I had intermittent clicking sound and did not do anything... I lost 4 months worth of documents when the HD finally died.

backup.

now.

:)

6. jaijin

jaijin Well-Known Member

Try finding the other threads about this. I believe the titles are "doomed" and "symptoms of a dying HD". not sure though if those titles are correct.;)