Durable Earphones

Discussion in 'Musicians and DJs' started by ice, Jul 29, 2013.

1. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

Please recommend a Strong/Sturdy/Durable model of Earphones.

My 12 year old daughter uses her earphones like crazy and I know nothing lasts forever but she has been through 4 earphones in 1.5 years!

Her older earphones were from Monster (Harajuku) and it was replaced 3 times before we finished the 1 year warranty.

Apple Earphones (iPhone 4) lasted for 6 months before finally giving up...

She basically uses the Earphones during her commute to school and while doing her homework. Headphones is not an option since she needs something compact.

2. kaebee

kaebee Member

what are the past problems with the earphones? the connection breaks, or it breaks from the wire, etc? have you tried flat cables? like Beats?

3. ice

There are no physical damages... but one side will start to loose sound...

The Monster Harajuku earphones did have a flat cable.

4. kaebee

kaebee Member

hmmm.. just a guess, I'm inclined to think your daughter yanks the earphone out of her ears, and/or bag? loosing sound would might mean that there is a loose wire inside, which tends to happen when the cable is pulled. in this case, proper earphone maintenance might be what is needed. like maybe a pouch, or a dedicated pocket inside her bag for the earphone.

5. kaebee

kaebee Member

unless of course, sound lost is due to the earphone getting wet. either through sweat, rain, moisture (from water inside the bag where the earphone is stored). then what you need might be some sports ear phones, that is more water resistant.

6. fink

fink Member

I have a pair of Urbanears Bagis, and so far, they're the only pair of earphones/in-ears that lasted more than a year of daily use/abuse

7. sbuckspodium

sbuckspodium Member

Was going to suggest cheapie earphones from cdrking for commutes and use original earphones at home but seeing that you're located in Singapore, there are $10 jvc and Sony earphones at challenger which are the cheapest I found to be "disposable" last year.

8. ice

will be getting her cheap ($10-20) earphones temporarily... Hope they last until end of the year... just in time for her phone's re-contract.

sadly, most "sports" earphones available are just water/sweat resistant...

9. isaak

isaak Active Member

We have similar experience. No earphones last more than 6 months with my kids. One of the culprits is the earphones hitting hard surfaces i.e. table, floor when being pulled from the ear. Would there be any earphones with some kind of protection around the body that will somehow cushion the impact?

10. jepoy22

jepoy22 Member

Best for me is senheisser IE8. The cable is really tough. And mine has fell to the floor a few times. And I usually just stuff it in my bag. Sometimes I do put it in a hard case. It's been with me for a few yrs already. It's quite pricy tho. But with great sq, it's totally worth it. (Although I did get mine preloved so it's cheaper)

11. shootertwist

shootertwist PhilMUG Addict Member

^i was about to suggest the same thing, i just figured it might be too much for a kid, but if budget permits, the ie8 can surely withstand lots of abuse. i'm not sure if an ie8 is still available since sennheiser has replaced them with the slightly upgraded ie80.

12. Alrainier

Alrainier Member

I would suggest philips o'neill earphones. The earphones is covered with a metal frame and the cable looks pretty strong. Saw this at Listening Room selling around 2.2k if I remember correctly.

13. ice

I'm leaning towards the cheap and disposable option.

My problem with branded ones is that if something goes wrong, I'll be forced to send it back to the service center (based on my experience, they are not located in convenient places)

Will bring my daughter to the mall later and check which "disposable" earphone will she choose.

#13 ice, Jul 31, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  14. xthine

xthine PhilMUG Addict Member

^ Good luck on the hunt :). Let us know what you find.

I'm also trying to find a pair of durable earbuds that are tangle-free for my daughter. I think she needs one thats Kevlar covered at the rate she's going. Looked at a few on Amazon and was excited about the Zipbuds but reviews weren't so good. Alpatronix-Performance-Tangle-Free looks like it might be better.

15. ice

Just bought one last night (31 July 2013) :)

Alpex Shoelace Earphones

[​IMG]
    SGD 24.90 (other colors are sold at SGD 29), crossing my fingers that this lasts for more than 6 months.

16. yehey9

yehey9 PhilMUG Addict Member