duplicating disk not enough space??

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by Tecson, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Tecson

Tecson Member

Hi Muggers,

I need help on this matter,

I have a data DVD which i need to back up/duplicate, but when creating a disk image through disk utility and tried to burn it in a blank DVD, it warns me of not enough space, i already tried it several ways compressed/read only and CD/DVD master but still it would not fit, funny thing is it DOES fit in the original DVD,showing only 4.4GB but the disk image i created went up to 4.8GB!,and 4.4GB when compressed but it too shown not enough space when Burning, one more thing is when i click on get info on the blank disc it shows 8KB!?

does anybody encountered same situation or not, i have wasted enough time to figure this out but still finds no answer, times like this my VAIO really beats my Mac in integration on this simple burning processes.

i was begining to think is this another protective DRM stuff apple is trying to pull or what, and im only burning misc application stuff i downloaded, im just worried what if i have to duplicate dvd's or collections up ahead and this problem shows up again.

im not a heavy user of burning CD's and does this occationally so its not advisable for me to purchase toast or any other paid burning program, usually Disk utility suffices, but this is confusing.

is there another way to simply just duplicate 1 disc and make a clone copy??

#1 Tecson, Apr 7, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  2. Tecson

Tecson Member

It seems there are quite a number of people encountered it with their MB aluminum in the states,and a few of them trying to dup installation disc for back ups, no Muggers here have same situation??

3. viral_variance

hey tecson, can you outline here step by step what you were trying to do? i can't replicate your issue from my macbook (not an MBP, but i assume they should be the same)

4. dryxzzz

dryxzzz Active Member

@ Tecson
    Try to use a Double Layer DVD disc to burn that disk image.