Dual Screen support for MacBooks with M1?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by primo1, Feb 8, 2021.

1. primo1

primo1 Member

I've been researching about this since the release of M1 MacBooks since last year. And based from my understanding, you need to have an external and compatible adapter/hub to make this happen. And usually they're very pricey with $200 and up price tag. E.g.: https://www.caldigit.com/ts3-plus/ And none of which are available in the Philippines (AFAIK).

So the question is, who have done this here in the Philippines? Where did you buy a compatible hub? Any Lazada or mall sources?

Thank you!

2. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

Any USB-C to HDMI/VGA should work

3. primo1

primo1 Member

Well it would work for 1 external monitor only. With Intel Macs this is no problem. But with M1, you could only connect up to 1 external display unless you have a 3rd party hub mentioned above.

Sorry if it wasn't clear. But the title should say dual external monitor support. Which would make it 3 screens total including the MBP.

4. Silentwill

Silentwill Active Member

Maybe wait for software updates first. I read somewhere they'll "fix" issues with using external monitors but the article was a bit confusing what exactly they'll fix. They were discussing about the dual monitor support but the link they sighted mentions only about resolution. I read as well you'd need to install 3rd party drivers which may no longer work when there is an OS update so it may be too much of a hassle than waiting for Apple to officially support dual monitor use, assuming they do. Maybe in M2. Oh well.

#4 Silentwill, Feb 9, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
    primo1 likes this.
  5. jayar04

jayar04 Active Member

im planning to buy this

https://s.lazada.com.ph/s.1FMnl

since this is assessed by thunderboltlaptop.com as well.. was planning to buy a Caldigit - but not planning on spending that much - i'd rather invest in an NVME SSD + cheaper hub setup..

i had other options in mind but basically, i'm not planning on using dual/triple displays yet.. just want a hub station for my in-home setup to manage cables etc, and another portable hub for when I travel (just using a ugreen 7in1 hub)