Dropped iPad, Display now has green lines

Discussion in 'iPad, iPhone, iPod touch and Apple Watch' started by Nixxi, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Nixxi

Nixxi New Member

It's an iPad 1 and Apple says I'm still covered by the warranty. No AppleCare though.

Anyway, I dropped it on the floor and now there's all sorts of green lines on the device. And upon boot, where there's supposed to be a silver Apple logo on black background, now there's the usual Apple logo but the background is green. :(

The screen isn't cracked and is still responsive. Accelerometer and wifi still work too. I did a restore hoping to high heavens but no such luck.

If I bring this to the service center, how much will this cost me? I did some research and found this. It also has a tutorial on how to reconnect the display cable but I don't want to DIY this.

2. weirdohenrico

weirdohenrico Member

What do you mean by "still covered by the warranty. No AppleCare though." -- Do you mean because you told them you dropped it they wont fix it through your warranty?

3. Nixxi

Nixxi New Member

I think its a limited warranty. I checked here, keyed in my serial number and it gave me this.

[​IMG]

I havent gone to the service center yet.

4. 650h2

650h2 Active Member

I guess you mean that the original 1 year apple warranty still applies

if there is a telltale sign that it's been dropped (like a dent), it is enough for apple not to honor the warranty.
    Best if you post a picture of your current screen so the more experienced ones here can say if it is a damaged LCD display. Top to bottom stripes usually mean damaged display

5. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

Sadly the limited warranty does not cover drops or any form of accidents. I agree with 650h2, if the the service center finds out that you dropped it, it will void your warranty. :(

6. Nixxi

Nixxi New Member

Lock Screen:

[​IMG]

Home Screen:

[​IMG]

Reading on Stanza:

[​IMG]

Boot Screen:

[​IMG]

No dents. It pretty much landed on its back. Scratches on the back here and there but its just due to normal use.

7. Beowulf

Beowulf Member

hmm, video control chip? or maybe the connectors...

given that your warranty is voided due to dropping,

the best course is to have it fixed by somebody who can

aside from apple. or DIY...

8. PaidApps

PaidApps New Member

The Apple Resellers Won't know the reason why it happens to your stuff, unless your saying it.

9. Nixxi

Nixxi New Member

Alright. I guess I'd just have to try my luck at the service center.

Thanks guys.

10. weirdohenrico

weirdohenrico Member

Yes, your unit is still under warranty (1 year). Bring it to the service center and it is up to you how you answer their questions.
    Hope you sort it out.

11. 650h2

650h2 Active Member

I agree with beowolf on the trouble, it isn't the LCD but the gpu or cable leading to the LCD. most probably the cable as GPU is surface mounted and just can't be dislocated by mere dropping

But try the apple service centers first. if they dishonor the warranty, then DIY,
    if your unit has no dent, I dont see why the service center would deny you service

I'm not aware of any g-shock sensor on apple products,. I know they have liquid spill indicators which turn pink when it comes into contact with liquid

12. Jess

Jess PhilMUG Addict Member

i hope you sort it out and give us a feedback. :)

13. ll_esquivias

ll_esquivias Well-Known Member

amongst all the Service Center we had here, the most "considerate" is Senco. Try going at their Makati Service Center. Sa PowerMac puro yabang frontliners kala mo magagaling talaga.

14. daney_waney

daney_waney Active Member

I agree. Senco and digital hub are the good service centers here. As for powermac, they'll give you one of the worst service you can ever experience.

15. Nixxi

Nixxi New Member

Crap. I'm in Davao. :(

16. lsalapare

lsalapare Well-Known Member

If your going here in Manila, just give DH or Senco a visit.. :D have it repaired at PMC? uuhmmm.. no comment..!haha :p here in PhilMug, we had mixed experience when it comes to PMC's service.

17. bad_boy

bad_boy Watching Your Language
    Staff Member

Try Microwarehouse there (I think) or Digital Hub in CDO :cool:

18. elbert

elbert Active Member

If there are no signs that it has been dropped, and if indeed it's still covered by warranty (AppleCare), you can simply drop by any Authorized Service Provider like Senco, PowerMac Center or Digital Hub. They will replace that unit free of charge, for sure.

If there are obvious telltale signs it's been dropped (i.e. a major dent in the corner), you can be certain the ASP will reject it as a warranty claim. If that's the case, bring it to DJGT at the 2nd floor of Theater Mall Greenhills and have DeCode find you a solution. He's the best there is when it comes to repairing iOS devices, even iPods.

EDIT: I back read and saw your post saying there are no dents. Go and claim warranty on it. DO NOT ever mention that it had been dropped. Play innocent.

19. motoflux

motoflux Lemon Pepper Fan

Yes its true, be might as well out-smart those staff people.

I like this.

20. Nixxi

Nixxi New Member

Update on my iPad fiasco:

Well, I went to all the Apple stores here in Davao and got shot down by all of them. One offered to replace the unit for 18k. Insane. I argued that there were no dents, nothing. I totally acted innocent, smiled and unleashed my feminine wiles to the male staff but no bacon.

So I went to a shop that repairs gadgets and they said they could fix it for 2k. I watched the guy like a hawk for an hour and a half just to make sure they wouldnt take any of the parts inside. My iPad now has toolmarks on the side since they didnt have the proper equipment for opening iPads. It was painful to watch.

After a while, he cracked it open and reconnected something inside. That guide I posted earlier was spot on. The connector thingie was tilted to the side and the guy snapped it back into place.

iPad now has a full sleeve plus a rubber Paul Frank case.