Dragon Age Origins on the Mac.

Discussion in 'Third party hardware, software and accessories' started by Salaryman Ryan, Jan 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

2. kenok

kenok Member

I'd better warn you that the current DLCs won't be available for the Mac version. No news about their plans with it.

3. alistair

alistair Member

Seriously about the DLCs? Suxx0rz.

Anyway—before you rush out and buy this game for the Mac, make sure you're not using a MacBook with integrated GMA-series video cards:

That comes straight from here.

So, if you're (un)lucky like me, you'll have to wait till you upgrade to MacBook Pro, or content yourself with the PS3 version.

4. Salaryman Ryan

5. raprafrap

raprafrap Member

can i play this using my air 2.13ghz?

6. Salaryman Ryan

From what I hear from the net, If it has a 9400 GPU it should work with medium or low settings. As for the Air, I'm afraid you might need to give it periodical breaks as the game might really heat up your Mac.

7. raprafrap

raprafrap Member

ok! i kinda like this game. playing this using my pc desktop!:)

8. suavegabe

suavegabe Member

has anyone tried buying this game online since i think it's only released as a download version? direct2drive has it but it says it's only available for US and Canada?

9. Salaryman Ryan

Hi Suavegabe,

I purchased my copy in http://www.gamersgate.com/

They accept international credit cards. Just downloaded DAO. It installed and worked flawlessly.

10. suavegabe

suavegabe Member

@Salaryman Ryan
    thanks for the info! which one did you buy? the standard or the deluxe edition?

update: now downloading from gamersgate.com and it's actually Mac Week right now on that site so i got DA:O for 52.95 instead of 64.95! thanks for pointing out the site ryan! :)

#10 suavegabe, Feb 21, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  11. Salaryman Ryan

I purchased the Deluxe edition. Too many content missing on the standard edition. You don't get the Shale and all the extra quests!

Glad to be of help! DAO is a great game, I'm almost halfway through the game (I know but I can only play two hours a day.) and love the story, personality of the characters and the battle system. I'm not really keen in buying Windows 7 and using up hard disk space just to play games so I'm glad the game came out for the Mac. :)

Wow suavegabe, you're really lucky! I got mine full price. :(

12. kenok

kenok Member

Shale DLC is worth it. Fun to have erm... *baka spoiler* around.

Really? 2hrs a day ain't enough with this game... it's so much fun.

Does the mac version have "other campaigns" in the menu? Maybe you could manually install the custom mods/campaigns, if you're up to it.

13. Salaryman Ryan

Yes, I agree 2 hours is indeed "bitin" but I'm a busy busy Dwarf in real life. I'm probably going to finish my very first play through in a month or so. :D

I believe the Mac Deluxe version has Shale, the Blood Armor, Soilder's Peak and a few others. As for the Mods, I believe I stumbled upon a Mac converter tool somewhere in this site, sorry I forgot to bookmark it so I suggest you search for it:

http://www.dragonagenexus.com/

Haven't used the tool itself, since I have yet to finish the original campaign first of course.

PS: I used to play rouges/assassins a lot in NeverWinterNights and I'm please to discover how powerful they are in DragonQuest age!

14. suavegabe

suavegabe Member

i'm currently at Denerim at the moment and trying to complete all the side quests. this game is so addicting that I haven't gotten much sleep lately! :D I also like the combat/rules better than the D&D/AD&D games that came out before (NWN, Baldur's Gate, etc.)

15. azelbumagat

azelbumagat Guest

hi guys! pwede makahingi ng serial? cant play the game.. its my first time. i downloaded it kaso walang serial. please help. thanks!

16. Salaryman Ryan

I assume that you download your copy from a torrent site. Friend, this is considered piracy which is not encouraged in the forums.

17. dasaint

dasaint PhilMUG Addict Member

This is not allowed asking for serials . Please read the the rules and regulation of the forum specially since this is your 1st post.

18. suavegabe

suavegabe Member

i'm now on my third character and still no RTO for the mac version, not even an announcement if it's going to be available. this is really disappointing considering PC and xbox version already have the Awakenings expansion while the mac version is still stuck at version 1.01.

i'm now wondering if i should have just bought the PC version and run it in Bootcamp which I read actually performs better than the mac version. this just sucks.

19. gosu_boji

gosu_boji Member

has anyone tried dragon age on the new macbook pros with GT 330M GPUs? DAO does not run natively in OS X (uses Cider) so you can't really trust its system requirements.

20. Salaryman Ryan

It should be able to run. I tried it on my friend's older unibody 15 inch Macbook Pro and it worked okay with medium settings across the board. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.