double bad news for the click wheel iPod

Discussion in 'iPod, Apple TV and other Apple-branded entertainm' started by crony, Aug 13, 2009.

1. jaijin

jaijin Well-Known Member

Maybe a single iPod model between the sizes of the classic and the nano could save the iPod line. It will be like the time they moved the MB Unibody up and named it the 13" MBP and left consumers with a White MB going solo.

2. enuhski

enuhski Active Member

it's saddening that the iPod classic might be the first to go, and with it, the iconic look of the iPod we've all come to love.

the size and form factor of the nano helps it retain, for me, a considerable part of the market. it's the perfect gift for younger kids, teens, and even people who just want a music player. as for the camera + nano, i really don't understand why that is even necessary. :/

the shuffle i think is still popular with joggers and fitness enthusiasts.

i can imagine the iPod touch increasing in storage capacity and providing more and more features short of besting the iPhone. it will cannibalize its other counterparts, and soon, apple might come out with a mac tablet too.

i just hope apple comes out with a new distinctive look. the laptops and iPods/iPhones are starting to look homogeneous and generic. hehe

3. NoisyCricket

NoisyCricket Active Member

Evolution :) We didn't want to get stuck in the WalkMan age, or the DiscMan age... so it is now time to move on :D

4. koppee1

koppee1 Active Member

oh oh...i actually can't stand the iphone/ipod touch as an mp3 player
    I like putting my ipod in my pocket where i can still control the click wheel through my pants. I can't really do that with a touch screen... :/

5. ll_esquivias

ll_esquivias Well-Known Member

we may have a transition and totally phase out Ipod Classic. As long as the Ipod Touch does not have an improvements that will make them last for at least 2 yrs, buyers might think twice of supporting their new direction. Im a proud owner of Ipod Video and Ipod Touch but I enjoy the former for its performance. Ipod Touch's Home Button and Touchscreen are things they might consider innovating because these are faulty part of my Ipod Touch. I'm not into Apps. Songs and Movies are relax me after 12 hrs of work.

6. shutterstarr

shutterstarr Member

Personally, I don't like the iPod controls on the iPhone/iPod Touch... Especially the volume control! I've always loved the click-wheel. This is too sad. :(

#7 shutterstarr, Aug 15, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2009
  7. xepheryfc

xepheryfc Member

ipod classic, simple, elegant, down-to-earth
    i would take care of my ipod,
    for after some months this kind of ipod would be nothing but a history
    :(

8. RC

RC Active Member

When this eventually comes to fact in the near future... I just hope that my aged 20GB click wheel serves at least another 2 years until i need to buy a new battery for it.... Hopefully the new battery i get will only cost less than P500 by that time hehehe...

Sought a bluetooth adapter and it works great on the 'lil bugger =j

9. crony

crony New Member

OT: so you probably get a lot of " is that an ipod in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?"
    :D

10. jsg123

jsg123 Active Member

The iPod classic will only die when flash storage used by the iPod touch and Nano is cheap enough to replace the hard drive, meaning that it will still take a while to have a cheap 160GB iPod touch.

11. Hero33

Hero33 PhilMUG Addict Member

I doubt they'll get rid of Classic-like iPods.

Some people just want music/video players with simple interfaces.

12. FlyLO

FlyLO Member

plenty of music at that! 30gb for me is simply too small.

13. tinggle

tinggle Member

i dont think they will ever kill the click wheel. after all, the ipod converted a lot of people to macintosh. it's already an icon

14. ap07

ap07 New Member

The iPod classic still rocks--loads of storage for pretty cheap, so I doubt it'll be killed off any time soon :)

15. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

^ i'm with you guys on the sentimental & practical value of the classic but Apple clearly has some other plans. I noticed recently that every iTunes upgrade is really more geared for the iPod Touch & iPhone. in fact, my old ipod w/ photo died because of an itunes upgrade (version 8, i think) & now my ipod w/ video (circa 2005) is having problems too when being synced w/ itunes 9. I still have an ipod touch and a classic ipod 120GB w/c are stlll working fine but I wouldnt be surprised if sooner or later, my classic will start acting funny too w/ every itunes upgrade.

16. thescud

thescud Member

how much does it cost to replace a battery for an ipod classic?

17. Dekra

Dekra PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

I can't even get silicon cases for my 4th gen U2 edition. :(

18. iphoneuser

iphoneuser Member

My Ipod 5th generation still works great. I had it since 2007. The much newer version is just slimmer than the other one and at the same time it has 160 gb of hard disk space. I still prefer to keep my old ipod rather than buy a new one.