Don't quite get iPhoto

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by Finnn, May 1, 2008.

1. Finnn

Finnn Member

I don't quite get iPhoto. I am a BreezeBrowser user on PCs. Just got my MBP. What is the workflow with iPhoto? I am finding that I am regularly wanting to move photos around to merge with other 'events' and iPhoto does not make this ease at all?? What's with its single document interface once you open an 'event'. I can't drag and drop individual or groups of selected photos between events.

Ya the import auto puts them into events and can auto separate by date but no native pane to simply select source to target. Could someone please run my through how they use iPhoto in a typical sitting?

I have been through the online tutorial.

2. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Maybe you want to create an album instead. Albums are like playlists in iTunes. A photo can be copied to multiple albums but only 1 copy of the photo is actually stored, saving on space.

I use iPhoto for family or life events, not usually random photos. So I'd import photos from my digicam then just edit the title of the events after iPhoto is done importing. If an event takes place over several days (e.g. "2008-05-01 to 05-05 Trip to Baguio"), I just merge them into one event.

3. rafaelc378

rafaelc378 Active Member

@Finnn,

If you want a more profressional style Photography application, perhaps you should download & try out Aperture 2 on the Apple Site.

I don't use the events interface at all, since I'm used to the older iPhoto (on my old iMac that's stuck abroad with my dad now) that didn't use Events. I just use the Photos interface to work. And I create albums instead of events. I might fool around with Events to see how it works when I have the time.

4. NoisyCricket

NoisyCricket Active Member

hehehe i also don't get the iPhoto interface so much. I like knowing which files are in which folders, and like working and editing from the folders themselves.

I only use iPhoto for making calendars, quicktime movie slideshows of pics... :)

5. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 PhilMUG Addict Member

Hmmm...I think you're workflow is sort of based to how Picassa works? Think of it this way, WinAmp is to iTunes and Picassa is to iPhoto. Picassa leaves your folder structures as is (or can restructure them) but you can still access your photos outside of Picassa. It's a two-dimensional workflow. You can't build albums or events from that.

With iPhoto, it manages your photos in a database (you can still keep your photo folder structure by using un-managed/referenced photo library) that allows you to create albums with several instance of your photo across albums but keep only a copy of it (as PatrickGarlean mentioned). That is multi-dimensional since it takes advantage of database-like archiving/organization functions.

Events is a different way of looking at your photos, entirely unrelated to Albums. Events group photos by date (can be a day, a series of days, a week, etc).

Albums group your photos according to how you want to group them (e.g. Favorites, Weddings, portraits...sky is the limit). I think you can also create Smart Albums where you filter your whole library according to certain metadata like specific tags/keywords on a photo.

And one other thing...since you've been to the online tutorial, I guess practice and practice will help you understanding it more. :)

6. pael

pael Well-Known Member

iphoto -- it uses its own database and it makes the decision for you on how to store your photos in your hard drive.

What if you are now running low on disk space, how would you archive older photos (while still retaining the events structure you created or any tags that you have applied) so that you can accomodate new photos?

I'm also interested on how you can do this in Aperture. TIA.

7. rafaelc378

rafaelc378 Active Member

I've spent the last hour or so fooling around with the Events in iPhoto. From what I've been able to do, I think that you can group any grouping of photos regardless of the date into events. On the main events page, it just lists the date range from when the 1st shot was taken (2001) upto the most recent (Last week).