does your firefox choke?

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by penmanila, Dec 11, 2006.

1. penmanila

penmanila The Pinoy Penman
    Staff Member

i've been using firefox for maybe a couple of years now (since it first came out, anyway) and lately it's been "choking" on me a lot--i mean a partial freeze where i can't input anything (say, in the google search box, or anything that involves writing text), although the refresh, stop, and back buttons still work.

has this happened to you? my only solution has been to close the window, and then to open a new one. by the way, my firefox automatically opens to about six favorite tabs, so it takes a while to load. my powerbook has 1.25 gig of RAM so it should be able to handle this easily.

i'm using safari in the same mode right now and so far so good, no choking--and i'd forgotten how fast safari has become.

2. bittersweet

bittersweet Member

It happens to me, too. Haven't used any other method except for what you suggested (open a new window).

3. ultratramp

ultratramp Active Member

ive experienced weird behavior with firefox doing just that. but even weirder behavior with safari whenever i go to an aa hotspot, where it just shuts down. my workaround is to open another browser (firefox) to log in. its after loggin in that i experience the firefox shutting down while the safari stays open and works without hiccup once logged on. any ideas on what gives?

4. lamski

lamski PhilMUG Addict Member

I used to experience page freezeups on certain sites I visit and the culprit is a very slow/non existent embedded advertisment that could be easily remedied by the firefox ad block plugin. You can check what embedded ads are causing the page to freeze by opening the activities window in Safari or the tools/error console in firefox.

This problem is more pronounced these days as there was a denial-of-service attack on akamai servers. Akamai serves a lot of ads so if their sites go down, a lot of pages will slow to a crawl.

5. kimir

kimir Member

Happens to me too, what I do is I click on an empty space in the desktop and then click back to the firefox window, works for me :)

6. johnj2803

johnj2803 Active Member

same here... :(

hopefully guys at firefox will tweek this... i have multiple homepages like you sir penmanila
    and this is what i particularly like about firefox :D

7. dementia

dementia Member

same thing happens to the firefox in my powermac. I suspect that my system needs reformatting.

8. penmanila

Staff Member

i think it's firefox, not our systems. my powerbook's maintained as well as could be, both on the hardware and software side, and the lock-ups still happen :(

9. johnj2803

johnj2803 Active Member

10. jnjqn

jnjqn Member

johnj2803 beat me to prescribing bonecho. i've been using it for quite some time and have not experienced any freeze-ups. it's fast, reliable, and optimized for macs. and it doesn't hog memory like safari does.

11. penmanila

Staff Member

well, i've been trying out both bonecho and safari, and safari's really, really fast. i've found a way of opening safari with multiple tabs--a freeware program called forgetmenot (look for it on versiontracker.com). it inserts a "bookmarks" option in your homepage preferences that translates to whatever tabs you left open the last time you logged out.

12. PaoSison

PaoSison Member

Any comment on using Camino? It's also claiming Mozilla's engine...

13. michaelkenji

michaelkenji Active Member

i've experienced this too.. relaunching the app solves the problem.. hopefully this "bug" will be fixed soon..

14. johnj2803

johnj2803 Active Member

thanks penmanila :D

will try this :D

15. manolop10

manolop10 Active Member

You know what, now that you've mentioned it, i too experience this "choke" from firefox once in a while. Its nothing serious though it's quite annoying. Guess its just a bug.

16. mitchtb

mitchtb Active Member

i hope they come out with a solution really quick!

17. koppee1

koppee1 Active Member

that usually happens if you click on a pdf file....it loads for a long time...before showing the pdf.... but i dont remember firefox chocking on other instances....

18. rosea

rosea Member

Mine's been choking since last month, but seems to happen a lot more recently. I'm okay with pdf's but what happens when I click something is that it sort of "hangs". I don't know if it's because of my erratic internet connection recently. (Newbie here, BTW). What I do is force quit and restart the application, which is faster than waiting for it to resolve by itself (sometimes it doesn't). Will try bonecho, and sir penmanila's forgetmenot on safari. :)

19. penmanila

Staff Member

i've been usinmg safari almost exclusively since firefox started choking on me and i'm very pleased with it. it's not quite as good as firefox in dealing with permanent tabs, but forgetmenot makes things just a little easier. i hope they fix firefox soon--am willing to go back, but please, no more stuck screens and force quits!

20. johnj2803

johnj2803 Active Member

the thing that really annoys me with safari is how it handles its bookmarks... it has to be opened in one tabbed window, unlike firefox whch has a drop down kind of bookmark.

is there a workaround with this?