Does anyone use BasiliskII here?

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by crisgee, Dec 30, 2007.

1. crisgee

crisgee Member

I just installed it yesterday so that i could play the legendary game SimCity 2000 (which is now freeware btw). I needed to an emulator for the Classic environment since Intel Macs no longer support it. I used BasiliskII to install MacOS 7.5.3 follwing the instructions here. It was a success and so I proceeded to play SimCity 2000 like a 12 year old boy.

Not long after i ran the program, i started hearing a whirring sound near the Superdrive. I thought it was just the fans kicking in since I have been using the computer for such a long time already prior to playing. After the 2nd hour the whirring sound worsened into something like a barber's electric shaver. I quit BasiliskII, restarted the computer and as soon as the apple logo appeared, the electric shaver sound came back and i shut it down again. I decided to just let it rest and check it out again the next day.

Now here i am with my MBP running for 2 and a half hours already and not a sound has emanated from the SuperDrive. I tested it with a few CDs and DVDs and it's working just fine. I ran BasiliskII and launched SimCity 2000. Sure enough, i hear the whirring sound. I quit BasiliskII and after a minute the sound went away.

What's happening here?