do you use swiftkey with tagalog support or the default keyboard?

Discussion in 'General iOS' started by cHad, Oct 12, 2019.

1. cHad

cHad Member

I've been wanting to reduce my third party apps but I find it hard to switch away from swiftkey. It can predict tagalog words whilst the 'filipino' keyboard in ios 13 doesn't.

so what do you use? if you use the english keyboard; doesn't the red dotted underlines on tagalog words irritate you?

2. cdrubio

cdrubio New Member

I prefer using Swiftkey. I also like that it can predict Filipino words. The red dotted underlines don't bother me too much.

3. gaol

gaol PhilMUG Addict Member

Swiftkey has been my default keyboard for years now, even as I switch back and forth between IOS and Android every few years.

It allows me to have both English and Filipino languages active for word predictions, and over the years, it has learned a good number of words and phrases that I commonly use, tailoring its predictions to my usage.

4. caffelatte

caffelatte Member

im using google's gboard. english/filipino/tagalog supported - swiping/gliding and voice, online and offline :)

5. rabby

rabby Well-Known Member

I use the iOS Keyboard to swipe, give it time to learn

6. cHad

cHad Member

can you swipe for both tagalog and english words without switching apple keyboards?

7. mree

mree Active Member

Just the native iOS keyboard. I use it to swipe and it easily predicts my Filipino words. Even the slangs are predicted correctly..

8. jologs

jologs Active Member

I haven’t used Swiftkey since my last android phone which was ages ago. Got curious because of this thread so i installed it on my iPhone.

I must say I'm impressed. Swiftkey has come a long way. It’s almost as fast as the native keyboard and transitioning between english and Filipino is seamless without having to switch keyboard languages. I think I'm going to use it for a while and see how it goes.

gaol likes this.
  9. rabby

rabby Well-Known Member

yup! as long as you keep on using repetitive words, you're training the OS to give you the best output as you use it overtime :)

as an example since I do car pool I can swipe "Magallanes" "Ayala" "Skyway" "Cavitex"

10. cHad

cHad Member

one feature i love about swiftkey vs stock is the ability to easily input common symbols by just holding the "." and dragging left or right to enter "?, !, %" etc. its three taps on the stock (switch+tap ?+switch back)

speed is ok; but one little hassle is that iOS will always switch back to the native keyboard when entering text in password fields.

11. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

The default keyboard learns your Pinoy words and provides suggestions also in Pinoy when necessary although it takes quite a while for it to learn.
    What I do hate is the presence of the period near space bar which almost always end up being typed into the phrases and sentences. Of course, I have short thumbs that’s why.