Do you use a case to protect your MacbookPro M1?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by OwlAlpha26, Apr 28, 2021.

1. OwlAlpha26

OwlAlpha26 Active Member

I'm just curios as I'm thinking should I buy a case or not.

2. Invisigoth

Invisigoth Active Member

Some case materials are insulators so may trap heat being expelled by your Mac.

Thus defeating its design and prematurely trotting your Mac. You spent $400 extra for a heat sink fan... so why buy an accessory to make it work harder?

OwlAlpha26 likes this.
  3. kenobiz

kenobiz Active Member

I'm not a fan of cases. For me, just a sleeve to protect when not in use and cleaning materials like microfiber cloth, air blower or hand vacuum to clean your mac.

4. DenzDaniel

DenzDaniel Active Member

putting a case surely protects the our devices like the M1 Macs. But certainly will somehow affects the ability of the M1 to sustain speed because of the case hindering with the cooling of the Mac when in use! Specially when in heavy use! ex. Rendering, editing or gaming.

If you don't do those heavy liftings then go for the a nice case! Good Luck!

5. Godfather Actual

Godfather Actual New Member

6. ZeroCool

ZeroCool Active Member

Been using Incase Hardshell since day 1.. my MBP 2017 still looks brand new because of this case.

[​IMG]

7. shifty_md

shifty_md PhilMUG Addict Member

No. I only have a sleeve, in which I put the Mac when it's not in use. To prevent fingerprint marks from making a permanent stain on the screen when the lid is closed (which is a perennial problem among Macbooks), I use a microfiber cloth tailored to the cover the keys for them not to make contact with the screen.

8. piedad

piedad Well-Known Member

Am very happy with this case as it allows me to carry it around anywhere and not worry about it getting scratched or slipping from my fingers. Being able to raise it an an angle is very useful for heat dissipation and ergonomics as well. I ended up getting the same case for my wife and kids's MacBook Air M1s.
    https://www.lazada.com.ph/products/...st.309.331d572e6KRrFy&search=1&freeshipping=1

I also love using this USB-C external monitor with it:
    https://www.lazada.com.ph/products/...mp=1&spm=spm=a2o4l.order_details.item_title.1

9. jayparalejas

jayparalejas Well-Known Member

10. Daughter of Pismo

Daughter of Pismo New Member

I think what is more important is the quality of your sleeve or carrying case then a clip on case that may scratch your laptop.

11. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

why do you want/need a case?

My Sr. HS (now incoming freshman) daughter wanted to put stickers on her Macbook, my compromise was to use a clear case so that she can easily remove the case if she wants a clean looking laptop in the future.

The case we bought was not cheap, but it came with a screen protector. it can protect the macbook from daily use scratches and sticker glue but it wont offer any protection if the macbook gets dropped.

Why did I install the screen protector on a non-touchscreen device? I noticed that her friends love pointing at something on the screen (y)

12. macsurge730

macsurge730 PhilMUG Addict Member

Using a UAG Plyo Case for my MBP M1
    EF1A9DD1-06EC-441B-A0B8-7B8ABF77CDED.jpeg

13. jayar04

jayar04 Active Member

I also use a thin shell case

63B49707-8134-4C78-ABD7-03410665312A.jpeg

14. makinao

makinao Active Member

I never used a shell case for any of my macs. Just a sleeve. My daughter used a shell case, and it ran very hot. I finally convinced her to take it off, and the heating problems disappeared.

OwlAlpha26 likes this.
  15. Boddhisatva

Boddhisatva Galactic Emperor
    Supporter

No, my 14" MBP M1 is thick enough as it is...

16. jpbl1976

jpbl1976 New Member

Just sharing this so you get another perspective on cases. I didn't use cases before. I hate the way they look and believe that they trap heat.

That said, earlier this year, I was holding one of my phones and got distracted and it slipped from my hand. I tried to catch it but instead, what happened was I wound up slamming it on the edge of my M1 MacBook Pro, nicking it slightly. If I'd had a case, it's likely my 13" MBP wouldn't have that tiny nick. I take good care of my stuff so it drives me crazy that there's a tiny nick on it and it completely lessened my enjoyment when using it. I especially notice it when I'm not busy and just using my MBP to websurf, etc..

So, long story shot: I got a case for my MacBook Air and also got one for my new 14" (the small nick on my 13" Pro was a contributing factor in my decision to get the 14" Pro; I probably wouldn't have gotten one otherwise). If you are anything like how I've described, you may want to get a case. Save yourself the mental anguish :eek: