Do You Still Have a Scanner at Home?

Discussion in 'Third-party Accessories' started by ice, Nov 19, 2018.

?

Scanner at Home?

1. Yes

21 vote(s)
    80.8%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    19.2%
  1. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

We're looking at a new printer yesterday.

I prefer those 3-in-1 machines... Then my wife saw a very small dedicated printer.

The very small printer looks good, but that will mean I will not have a scanner/copier at home.

Wife's point is we've never used our scanner at home.
    100% of the time, scanning was made using our mobile phones.

So do you think it still makes sense to have a scanner at home?

2. Qin Zhi

Qin Zhi Well-Known Member

I regularly use one. Apart from the occasional work-related documents, I have the OCD habit of making high-quality scans of important personal documents, such as passports, birth certificates, IDs and other certificates, which I then upload to iCloud and are therefore easily accessible on my iPhone if needed.

3. penmanila

penmanila The Pinoy Penman
    Staff Member

Yes, a 12-year-old Canon that still works ;) Its driver hasn’t even changed.

4. gaol

gaol PhilMUG Addict Member

The scanner in our multifunction printer at home has several main uses:
    - producing high quality e-copies (PDF) of legal documents such as IDs, passports, signed contracts, etc.,
    - producing hardcopy photocopies of those same documents and others requiring photocopies.
    - rarely now, scanning pics or images or objects, the jpegs of which are to be used for digital scrapbooking etc.

For the occasional proof of payment, billing, etc., I take a photo of the deposit slip, statement, etc.

5. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

Canon Color Scanner. Old but still working, churning out scanning and copying tasks in a mind-blazing rate of 1 page per minute...

6. jayparalejas

jayparalejas Active Member

Canon G3000, Wifi 3 in 1 Printer. I can Print from iPhone. But nothing beats scanning on the flatbed. no creases and distortion.

For document requirements I use the scanner, for simple transactions with proof of billing etc, I use my iphone.

Most used function is the copier. really fast, rather than fumbling with your phone.

7. gravija_flare

gravija_flare Well-Known Member

8. SE20

SE20 PhilMUG Addict Member

We have a multi-function printer with a scanner... which I don't use... because I've found that the scanner app on my iPad and iPhone can do that work quite well.

9. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

I have a Canon Pixma 3-in-1. The scanner/copy function might only be useful far in-between, but when you do need it, they're an absolute convenience.

About a 6 months ago, I started digitizing all my old album pictures using the scanner. Most of the pictures taken during the 70s and 80s (my childhood) were already turning into a reddish tint. Through post-processing, I was able to restore the colors back to near-original. It was painful but these pictures are my treasure and I simply can't entrust them to an external service.

ronjet, penmanila and Qin Zhi like this.
  10. cybersniper

cybersniper Well-Known Member

phone scan is for OTG - i.e. makeshift / less important stuff... but if I want a "formal" scanned copy, the real thing is the way to go. But that's just me.

ronjet likes this.
  11. Aargh

Aargh Well-Known Member

I have a 3 in 1 printer which I honestly seldom use. But it's one of those things that is nice to have when you need it. They are relatively cheap anyway.

12. ronjet

ronjet PhilMUG Addict Member

Yes. In a 3-in-1 printer (flatbed type scanner). I mostly use it to scan important docs and pictures but the most used is the copier.

13. catalysmic

catalysmic Active Member

Yes.. AIO + Wifi ready too.. for scanning docs & vital files... Xerox machine in a pinch din =)

14. Adarna

Adarna Active Member

You should have one depending on your use case.

I got one to scan film negatives and prints.

15. ishg

ishg I'm female!
    Staff Member

We have the HP DeskJet Ink Advantage F4675. It's a printer, scanner, copier and fax machine. I like that it has an automatic document feeder, which is great for scanning multi-page documents.

16. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

yes, I still have an old one from HP but I haven't used it in years; not even sure if it still works... I use Scanner Pro in my iPhone/iPad. good enough for my needs.

17. fcdiesta

fcdiesta PhilMUG Addict Member

Still using two all-in-ones. One is hard-wired to my PC and the other one is wifi-enabled for mobile scanning. They're both pretty useful when making digital copies of important documents and for preparing exam reviewers for my son.

18. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

Suffice to say, if this is going to be the only printer in your home, it makes sense to choose a multi-function printer. They don't cost too much and doesn't take any more space than an ordinary printer. Doing a sub-minute photocopy of anything from passports, driver's license, to capturing the palm print of my child (paper cut-out to be used in a class activity), a scanner still proves to be useful.

Qin Zhi likes this.
  19. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

^the small printer I mentioned above is almost the size of a tissue box... really tempting (thanks to its size)

I did a quick review based on the posts mentioned... 1 thing I did not mention is that I have a scanner in the office... So 100% of my documents are scanned there.

I guess the only reason why I'll need a scanner at home is if I need to copy/scan something after office hours that's urgently needed on the next day... hmmm.

20. joethemobile01

joethemobile01 Active Member

I have the all-in-one printer scanner for printing Lazada airway bills, scan documents for cc applications and others that needs to be digitized.