Do you have the time (Watches and Whatnot) Part 2

Discussion in 'General OT' started by blebla, Nov 12, 2009.

1. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

Naunahan ka na ng mga anak ko. Hahaha! :LOL:

Since 2005, when the maxi case was first introduced, it split the fanboys. It made modern sports Rolexes look square thanks to those fat lugs. Some love it, some absolutely hate it. I dare say that latter group was a major factor on why "vintage" and those pre-maxi case Rolexes became in such high demand since 2005 upto now. The ceramic Pepsi GMT Master II from 2018 already introduced slimmer lugs, so Rolex has been on this design direction for a while now.

Me personally, I liked both the maxi case and the old sexy case. This new Submariner is just at that golidlocks spot and I think it looks perfect now. The brewing debate now is whether which green watch looks better, the Hulk or the new Ceramic Kermit (Cermit, or as some call it, Shrek).

Based on early reviews, the new 41mm looks and feels just slightly larger than the 40mm. Slimmer lugs, but slightly bigger diameter, I expect it wears just about the same as its predecessor.

ronjet, Sunil_K and Roman like this.
  2. eag

eag PhilMUG Addict Member

3. eag

eag PhilMUG Addict Member

4. Nightskye

Nightskye Member

Ganda!!

5. ransom

ransom PhilMUG Addict Member

6. Godfather

Roman, SE20 and gaol like this.
  7. gaol

gaol PhilMUG Addict Member

... And the time Kim Kardashian tried to appropriate and trademark the Japanese word, Kimono...

Roman and Godfather like this.
  8. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

Roman likes this.
  9. Godfather

He's an idiot and his lawyers are geniuses.

Probably charged him $1,000 per hour working 25 hour days and 8 day weeks, on what is to be the most frivolous of lawsuits. Hmm, maybe it's the same law firm as Rudy Giuliani's. :LOL:

greta87, bowser and Roman like this.
  10. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

but then again, it's "free" publicity too.

Godfather likes this.
  11. jlconferido

jlconferido Active Member

greta87 likes this.
  12. Godfather

For more than three years, I was on the fence about the SARY055. I love the pearlescent white sunburst dial, the blued hands and the kanji date wheel, but was worried that its 41 to 42mm case size would wear too big. Wasn't crazy either about the wide 22mm bracelet that hardly tapered to 20mm.

I always wanted one, but took so long to buy it that by the time I decided on getting one, it was discontinued last year.

Luckily, I found this mint condition being sold for a fair price, and so I immediately snatched it up. All the Youtube reviews were right, although it is on the big side, it melts into your wrist (mine is 6-3/4"). You really have to wear it to appreciate it. Wish I hadn't waited this long to get this incredible beautiful piece. This one's a keeper.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

wulf, greta87 and gaol like this.
  13. king64

king64 Active Member

14. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

sorry if this has been answered earlier.

How's local (2021) local prices of Rolex?

Or would you recommend I just purchase from HK/SG?

15. Godfather

Rolex AD (authorized distributor/dealers)? The SRP is the same as every other country. Of course they don't have stock of any stainless sport models (Submariner, GMT Master II, Sea Dweller, etc). They have lots of Day-Dates and Datejusts. I heard even the new pastel colors of the 41mm 2020 Oyster Perpetual are rare now locally, so they're being sold at a high premium among grey sellers.

It's an open secret that the ADs here don't sell sports models at their stores in malls. Hence they are not displayed. They have a perfect excuse too, they keep the desirable sports models for only their "preferred" or "repeat" customers. Same as the ADs in other countries.

Then they sell it backdoor to their grey market agents, who sell them at upto 100% mark up, then they split the profit.

From the ADs, I've only bought one brand new Submariner locally, the black one 116610LN here, bought at SRP by pure chance three years ago :
    [​IMG]

In local grey markets, like in the FB Marketplaces and Rolex Groups, the new model 41mm 126610 LN Submariner is being sold locally at around 650k, or around 200k over retail.

The new 41mm 126610 LV (nicknamed Ceramic Kermit or Starbucks) is being sold at around 980k or 500k over retail.

The 126710 BLRO GMT Master II, pepsi ceramic is being sold at around 970k, or you guessed it, around 100% mark up.

#3795 Godfather, Feb 8, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
  16. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

Thanks, I'm actually only looking at Datejusts, can you also negotiate the price with authorized distributor/dealers?

17. Godfather

No. I was looking at a particular 41mm Datejust last year. They didn't have the combination I wanted, but was told that even if they had it in stock, all of their Rolexes no discount, strictly SRP plus tax.

I've heard though that if you personally know the boss of one of the ADs Lucerne or Washington, then maybe they can give you a special discount.

18. Godfather

https://www.melbournewatch.com.au/collections/burnley

The Melbourne Burnley is a beautiful sports/casual dress watch. It punches several belts above its weight class, and the build quality and attention to detail is at par with any AP Royal Oak or PP Nautilus.

I've only had it for a week, but I have to say I have been very impressed with it. Some may call it an IWC Ingenieur homage, and they would be right. If I had to nitpick, the only qualm I have about it is the size which is 42mm around the case (39mm around the bezel), and it does wear slightly larger than a dress watch should. had the case size been 40mm or 39mm, this watch would have been perfect. BUT, on my 170mm (6-3/4") wrist, it looks just right.

It has a Miyota Cal. 9015 movement, and that's technically high beat. The smooth sweep of the seconds hand is really nice.

Only AUD499 (US$380) so it's a great deal. I got the teal blue one for US$340 last year during one of their sales. The teal blue one is currently sold out as the site says. My second choice is the white/silver one, still available.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sunil_K likes this.
  19. sabsar

sabsar Well-Known Member

Two Rolex boutiques (locally) have been stripped of their Rolex names/signage. Saw this in SM Aura a few weeks ago.

20. Godfather

I wonder if it's part of Rolex mothership cracking down on Lucerne and Washington. It's common practice among authorized distributors to sell their most desirable stainless and sports watches through their back door grey market dealers who sell them at 100-200% profit.

This practice was exposed a couple of months ago by disgruntled employees of ADs in Europe, and one of the cases was taken to court. The whole thing was incredibly hushed up in the media though, which is amazing media control on the part of Rolex. On Rolex forums, it was like a taboo subject that was forbidden to be discussed. Threads about the matter were closed as soon as they were started. Which is no wonder, because discussion sites like rolexforums.com rely heavily on grey market trades.

I was at the Rockwell Powerplant Rolex AD last week and they didn't have any stainless watches on display. All precious metals or two-tones. I left my number for a couple of pieces I'm looking for, a Milgauss Z-Blue and a Pepsi GMT, but it felt like a fool's errand. The sales manager was nice about it though.

Sunil_K likes this.