Do you have a stock of Masks right now?

Discussion in 'General OT' started by ice, Mar 25, 2020 at 11:16 AM.

?

Do you have a stock of at least 10 masks at right now?

1. Yes, N95

8 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. Yes, Surgical

17 vote(s)
    60.7%
  3. Yes, Cloth/Foam (re-usable for pollution)

10 vote(s)
    35.7%
  4. No, I'm healthy

4 vote(s)
    14.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

Locally, masks have been short even before the Covid-19, thanks to Taal.

Authorities are saying Masks are not required if a person is healthy, but we still see people use them.

For this thread... Do you have a stock of at least 10 masks at right now?

2. amg99

amg99 Active Member

DIY Only.

Materials used:

1. Cloth string
    2. Clean socks for cover
    3. Cut-out from a C2 bottle (bottle cap with holes)
    4. Tissue serves as filter ( rolled and placed on the mouth of the bottle. Replaced every use)

We have a senior citizen that undergoes dialysis twice a week. Surgical masks purchased before are reserved for her. We ran out of it long ago.

I think its necessary to have protection even if one is healthy.

What do you think?

IMG_2077.JPG

Sunil_K and hitme64 like this.
  3. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

The only time we use our masks at home, well I and my wife, are when we sleep at night. Mahirap na pag harapan matulog hehe.

Other than that, no. Outside, it’s a policy to wear one while walking, jogging, biking. No face mask, no entry.

Before we both went on self-isolation (from the rest of the world outside, of course), my wife brought a box of 50 pieces surgical masks given by WHO to be used for her self-containment. We have around 12 pieces N95 masks on hold from the Taal ash fall but I use a cloth face mask with built-in pockets for absorbent pads that can be washed.

Without a mask or if I forget to bring one when I go on a grocery or drugstore run, I use a shemagh which I think is better suited against dust, sand, smoke or the coronavirus. Much admiration to Bedouins for using this and not succumbing to the desert elements.

4. ice

I try to purchase a box (surgical)... When I have only 1 box left

Purchased 1 box last Jan for Manila (Taal) at S$10/50pcs - situation stabilized so kept the mask here
    2nd purchase was last Feb at Phuket (long story) - Bhat 500/50pcs

Just purchase another box now at S$40/50 pcs - ouch!

Should have bought reusable ones earlier when they were still available.

Face masks compulsory on all trains | Bangkok Post

5. porkypork

porkypork Active Member

Limited and running out very fast. Prices now are insane, 1.5-1.8k/box of 50s! Can you imagine?! But we might just get some at that crazy price because my mom needs them once she starts her chemo sessions. I hope production worldwide ramps up to bring the prices to reasonable levels.

Imagine you being billed PhP 1,000/ medical staff attending to you for their PPE. That's the norm now in private hospitals, so a day in the hospital adds up to 10-15k easily.

This COVID-19 crisis in the Philippines is starting to become the battle of the fittest and the richest, sadly.

6. ice

^even my relatives who are nurses can't send masks now...

You can ask for any medicine/vitamins/even sunglasses (Oakley and RayBan only)... But masks are heavily monitored.

7. guwapito

guwapito Well-Known Member

No, coz I can’t find one ;(

8. ginomatic

ginomatic Member

Is 850 a box of 50's expensive? For surgical masks.

9. ice

As posted by @porkypork... present price for 3 ply surgical masks right now is 1.5-1.8K

10. ginomatic

ginomatic Member

Thanks, the 850 we got is a quote from a supplier from China, we are planning to source masks, but the MOQ is also high. 4000 boxes

11. ice

In our field, since business in/with China and Europe cannot be avoided... Our instruction to Purchasers is buy as long as they can ship the items to us on time... Gown, IR Thermometer and N95 masks and sanitizers are crazy expensive now.

porkypork likes this.
  12. fcdiesta

fcdiesta PhilMUG Addict Member

I actually bought surgical masks a few weeks before the Covid-19 outbreak started since my son was feeling sick at the time. While the virus was beginning to wreak havoc in Wuhan, I decided to buy some N95, Pitta G and washable masks. And when it started to reach our shores, I bought a few more packs of surgical masks. Somebody also gave us homemade washable masks which you can put filters on. Hopefully they last long enough to weather the full extent of the outbreak...

Theus likes this.
  13. porkypork

porkypork Active Member

Please be careful of using pitta/reusable/cloth masks as it doesn't protect you from the virus, if anything, it MIGHT increase your risk of exposure through handling and sanitizing of the said masks. Not trying to burst your bubble here, just trying to warn you. I'm actually worried about the false sense of security that it gives the people, especially the frontliners that are'nt in the hospital setting (groceries etc.)

14. Theus

Theus PhilMUG Addict Member

when Taal erupted, we got 4pcs N99 masks with 6 replaceable filters each, 10pcs 3M N95 masks and a box of 100 pcs masks. Never got to use the latter 2.

when WHO declared the outbreak, we got another box of 100pcs and 10pcs 3M N95 among other supplies.
    when the Pandemic was declared, we have since given to family members almost 100 masks, alcohol, vitamins, etc due to lack of supply. The rest we’re keeping for our family of 5.

together with @raypin , I was one of those who decided to act early. even made fun of by others here, alluded to as being OA, “it’s all in your mind”, etc.

I wonder where they are now, I have masks to spare, made in China if preferred :whistle::whistle::whistle:

ronjet, raypin and Cmmig like this.
  15. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...bought 40 N95s (around 70 php each) while I was in HK January (for Taal eruption). After lockdown in Wuhan last January 23 , I purchased more N95s from US and Canada thru eBay and Amazon (around 100 pcs at 500 each). Most arrived and have distributed them with just a small stock left for emergency use. I am using them judiciously by spraying N 95 with lysol after each use. Extended usage is not recommended but I have to.

I am in the subset of the population that is immunocompromised (high mortality risk group).

Also, stocked up on essentials long before ECQ. Enough to last a couple of months without fresh supplies.

But, I am already on Plan B. Just a few more things to finally put all my affairs in order (something fully under my control, unlike this virus). Liberating experience. The rest is up to God.

#15 raypin, Mar 28, 2020 at 9:32 PM
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2020 at 1:56 AM
    Sunil_K, ronjet, Theus and 1 other person like this.
  16. ice

17. pels_17

pels_17 Well-Known Member

We have 50 pcs of KF94 mask (N95 version of Korea) and a box of surgical mask.

18. Ejaxene

Ejaxene Well-Known Member

I want to vote “no” but I cannot ultimately say I’m healthy enough that I don’t need it.

Is that what the no vote meant?

I want to say no but I want some—just can’t stand the price a box of masks is being sold for where I’m at.

19. ice

No means no mask :)

Wanted to put a smiley after but my track pad isn't working properly...

ronjet and hitme64 like this.
  20. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

^If you are staying at home then a mask is not necessary. Everyone here has their own room, everyone eats and cooks their meals, and everyone does the dishes and laundry. Doing these things doesn’t need a face mask. Since we have been prevented from going out, except to the garage to start up our cars or do some stretching, and whilst without any interaction with anyone else, a mask isn’t necessary. We have food supply to last 2 weeks tops and drinking water for a week or so, hence no outside trips for now to use our masks. Besides, Crame requires strict adherence to quarantine protocols right now. So what we have in stock is adequate and could last until maybe end of April or first of May.