Do MBPs need a cooling pad?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by milyonaryo, Mar 11, 2019.

1. milyonaryo

milyonaryo New Member

Does a MacBook Pro needs a cooling pad? I own a 2015 model.
    Thanks for the replies sirs and ma'am.

2. makintosh

makintosh Active Member

Alternative to cooling pads, I use apps like Macs Fan Control or Temperature Gauge Pro. The former is free. They kick the fans faster when certain temperatures are reached. Used coolings pad before when gaming or video editing but observe they don’t cool the unit as fast as using the said apps or if in an airconditioned room. For light use I see no need for them as long as the fans kick in normally.

3. porkypork

porkypork Active Member

Why the question? Are you a heavy user? Cooling pads that blows from underneath doesn't help that much, I noticed that it's better to use a small table top fan to blow air via the keyboard to help vent out hot air since there are gaps there from which the fans suck air from before blowing hot air out of the rear vents.

4. porkypork

porkypork Active Member

Can I ride on this topic, since we're talking about heat, anybody have issues while using their notebooks in powering external display in clamshell mode? Kinda worried that heat will accumulate in the keyboard/LCD area. I'm re-organizing my desk and is planning to use a vertical mount for my rMBP to save table space while it's in clamshell mode.

5. jayparalejas

jayparalejas Well-Known Member

I have my MBP 2018 on a vertical aluminum stand, powering 3 external displays. 1 4K, and 2 1080p displays via razer core x thunderbolt 3. What I did was set macs fan control to increase fan speed at 50c and max at 67c. One reminder is to choose the positioning of your vertical setup to prevent it from being accidentally toppled over. Other than that your built in fan can handle the load on clam-shell mode.

porkypork likes this.
  6. porkypork

porkypork Active Member

WOW! Do you put it vent up or vent down? I've been reading about this last night, people suggested to place it vent up just to help in dissipating heat.

jayparalejas likes this.
  7. max_Moon

max_Moon Well-Known Member

I have a Twelve South stand for my MBP, and I use it with the vent-up while connected to an external 2560x1440 144hz monitor via DisplayPort. Since the 2017 MBP 13" NTB only has a single fan, I think the other vent can function as the intake in clamshell mode.
    The only time I can hear the fans spin-up is when I open a lot of tabs in my browser in quick succession.

8. Don Pao

Don Pao Well-Known Member

Base on my experience for the past few years of using Macbook Pros/Air No need for cooling fan just make sure your unit is on a Flat Surface :) btw i use my machine Minimum 6-10Hrs a day continuously (work) :) oh and we have the same machine 2015 13 MBP

9. jayparalejas

Vent up! Hot air rises. Here's my setup;

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ZeroCool and porkypork like this.
  10. shootertwist

shootertwist PhilMUG Addict Member

where did you get your dock bro?

jayparalejas likes this.
  11. porkypork

porkypork Active Member

jayparalejas likes this.
  12. jayparalejas

13. ZeroCool

ZeroCool Active Member

Hi. Is it a DBrand skin? Thinking of buying the matte black version for my MBP 13 2017.

Did they deliver it directly in your address?

14. jayparalejas

Its slickwraps, Leather skin for the top panel then matte black on the bottom. yes direct via FedEx.

Same thing with dBrand, have bought from them. if you want door to door choose dhl/fedex. 20-24usd. but for free shipping you have to drop by your local post office if you have been sent a notice for pickup and pay 112pesos.

15. caffelatte

caffelatte Active Member

not a direct answer. but 2015 mbp 13". i made 1-2 threads about it.

in my case yes but didn't bother getting one. it throttles all the time to the point it is barely usable. i thought of replacing the thermal paste but didn't - busy. service center, downtime.

my load: tons of tabs on chrome, terminals, email clients, skype, slack, zoom viber, spotify... spread across 4 virtual desktops. generally these. add 24" dell monitor via hdmi... slows it down fast. tried using the fan control apps, didn't help.

not as bad as how i described it in airconditioned room / office. hindi naman super mainit sa room. sakto lang.

my colleague's same model, not as bad as what i experienced pero slows down din...

16. makintosh

makintosh Active Member

Maybe you’re better with a desktop with that kind of load. The 13” MBP, with its measly thermal system, ain’t designed for that kind of workload. No fan control app or external cooler will help cool it down enough to prevent damage in the long run.

I used a specced up 15” MBP for video editing with cooler and fan control app and still complained about the heat. So I always used it in an airconditioned room whenever possible, knowing the excess and prolonged heat will eventually damage its components. When I had it retired for light computing, I got myself a 13” for casual work and light editing, a workhorse desktop (non mac hardware running macOS which I’m not allowed to further discuss here :D) and a new iPad for almost the same price of a modern equivalent of the 15” MBP I used to have.[/QUOTE]

17. caffelatte

caffelatte Active Member

^ weird though it didn't happen when i was in windows at the same time... toshiba z series i5, etc. almost same specs in CPU, memory, storage... probably the toshiba can sustain temp/throttle than "mb pro". plus the fact that my colleague runs vagrant/virtualbox and yun resolution smaller fonts, bigger workspace... anyway, i just shared my experience it my 2015 13"... or probably talaga something is wrong with my unit :(

18. makintosh

makintosh Active Member

^ Guess that's what happens when Apple insists on making their products more and more thinner. The 13" variant, although having the pro label, is not really a machine for serious computing purposes. It's powerful as advertised but can't seem to handle itself when subjected to some heavy computing due to its limited thermal dissipation. Kind of like me in the gym... starting out turbo strong with the routine but ending up burning out mid way (panting and gasping for air like a dehydrated dog and getting lactic acid build up all over) :D.