DJI Osmo Pocket

Discussion in 'Videographers' started by jcsantamarina, Dec 13, 2018.

1. imart

imart PhilMUG Addict Member

^mayat ser!

pinoyslinger likes this.
  2. Ejaxene

Ejaxene Well-Known Member

The Osmo Pocket is surprisingly tiny. Thought it would be at least the same height as my XS Max

3. leninmac

leninmac PhilMUG Addict Member

Hmm. It’s a little disappointing that’s it’s not wireless. You have to buy the wireless module to connect to your device wireless. Also planning to buy that accessory mount so that I can use a tripod for motion timelapse.

4. suavecito

suavecito PhilMUG Addict Member

Pretty sure V2 would have built-in wifi. That's why im not an early adopter.

5. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...whoah...panning of this gadget is very jerky. And I thought this would be the perfect replacement for my Zhiyun Smooth Q smartphone gimbal (very good value for money). I love the very small form factor though.

6. suavecito

suavecito PhilMUG Addict Member

Really sir? You mean panning using the controller?

7. raypin

Mm...yes. Mechanical. Say, from a fixed position, you want to do a 360 or a panorama. You use the motor to do its thing.

Watch 1:59....

And the screen is so tiny, making it difficult to frame your shots...meaning you pair it with your iPhone.....meaning you might as well use your iPhone (attached to a ten dollar selfie stick or a gimbal for a polished product)...meaning, what’s the value proposition for 500 bucks? Who is this for? What does it replace? I don’t get this product.....yet.

#27 raypin, Dec 14, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
    leninmac likes this.
  8. leninmac

Biggest selling point I think is it’s size. It’s a unique device. Not as rugged / tough as a GoPro but with better image stabilization. This is basically the Mavic Air’s camera with [email protected] video. With the wireless module, it’s a suitable replacement for those phones with a gimbal. Which is strange because DJI does have the Osmo Mobile line up.

raypin likes this.
  9. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

Gotta go run errands, so run-and-gun post.

The Pocket is best for run-and-gun use. Power up and shoot. Minimum set-up. Think GoPro (no screen, little controls), but less action-oriented, more daily, common folk usage scenarios.

People are people. They can learn to adapt. Refer to my post about turning radius, which I realised from my first day of Pocket use. It isn't as smooth as a smartphone gimbal, so the user has to learn to compensate.

Expectations should match the price range. I have a smartphone gimbal, but do not want to carry that on a daily basis. The Pocket will be in "my EDC " (everyday carry).

Too many moments, too little set-up time. :)

loudsound and raypin like this.
  10. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

Shot this video below with my iPhone, either handheld or with a smartphone gimbal.

Two-second clip every day X 30 days = 60-second monthly diary.

That's what I'll use my Pocket for. Quick daily shoots, with little fuss. Append daily to the month's timeline. :) I may not do it monthly, but if there's an interesting arc, why not?

And, of course, the Pocket will be ready for longer scenes, if and when the need arises. Then my Blackmagic Pocket Cinema and/or Lumix GH cameras for "feeling pro" videos. ;)

11. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

+1 on price points. You get what you pay for. If you find it lacking, it's not meant for you.

Aside from having more features than GoPro, it's features are targeted at Average Joes who wants to document a trip and not necessarily need the ruggedness that GoPro has to offer.

Strongly in my consideration list. FWIW, it looks like dedicated cameras are making a comeback, of course with features that are not physically available to the iPhone. You save the battery life of your iPhone.

loudsound likes this.
  12. raypin

Mm...yeah, at usd130.00 for the Osmo Mobile 2, significantly smaller than my Zhiyun gimbal, and, oh yeah, its usd130.00 only, that is more in my wheelhouse. Thinking of getting rid of my Smooth Q, get the Osmo Mobile and Pocket :LOL: the difference.

Thanks for mentioning the Mobile 2. Didn’t know it existed.

Am not the target market for the Pocket.

leninmac likes this.
  13. pinoyslinger

pinoyslinger Active Member

I went to the coral beach and caught this beautiful sunset with my Osmo Pocket.
    What a wonderful world :)

raze19 and raypin like this.
  14. leninmac

Hmm. I’ve had the Osmo Mobile 2 for quite sometime now. I’ve found it very useful. The only gripe I have is it takes time to set it up. You have to connect the phone wirelessly and then of course the biggest letdown- balancing the phone to the gimbal. I’m also wary about my iPhones battery life because I use it not just on the Osmo but also on my drone’s remote control and my insta360 camera. Yeah I know you can use the Osmo Mobile 2 as a portable charger but you won’t be able to charge while using your phone with the Osmo Mobile 2.

Apart from the Osmo Pocket’s minute size, it also just takes 5 seconds to turn it on and you’re good to go. No need to worry about connecting to a device though you have limited control. That wireless module will come in handy.

loudsound, rbenzon and raypin like this.
  15. leninmac

Regarding the ND Filters. I’m hoping that the ND filters I use for my Mavic Air will work with this. Their cameras looks very similar. Will try It out once I go back to SG.

16. leninmac

My first crack at Motion Lapse. ;):)

potpot2 likes this.
  17. loudsound

loudsound Well-Known Member

I'm eyeing this device as well when I saw some of it's reviews in YouTube. I've been traveling a little lately as well so this will be a good companion for shooting stills and videos. I was in Singapore last week but late did I realize that it's availability is on December 15. Hopefully I can get this device soon. :)

18. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

Hopped on a bus, clamped my Pocket onto a pole, recorded this video in one take, then hopped off the bus.

Hoppy Holidays! :)

(Cordoba Mini acoustic-electric guitar plugged directly into a Zoom H4n recorder)

19. pinoyslinger

pinoyslinger Active Member

IMG_20181222_080622.jpg IMG_20181222_080601.jpg For my more intensive videography chores, I have this set-up while waiting for my pgytech bracket set gimbal stand. The rubber band is to "slightly" secure the osmo from detaching. Maybe a velcro belt with some base support is better. That I have to figure. :)

20. jcsantamarina

jcsantamarina Buzz Ambassador
    Staff Member

Nice! I'm waiting for that pgytech holder too. Where were you able to order it? Any news on BTB stocks of the pocket?