DJI Osmo Pocket

Discussion in 'Videographers' started by jcsantamarina, Dec 13, 2018.

1. jcsantamarina

jcsantamarina Buzz Ambassador
    Staff Member

Hey guys!

Since the Osmo Pocket is still in a class of it's own, let's start this new thread just for it and maybe later change it for some other "similar" products that may come in the market.

I can't wait to get my hands on my "prize" and take it out for a spin.

Anyone here who has one already? Any links to your sample shots and any comments / feedback on your use of it so far?

I've been using the Osmo Mobile 2 for some time and during my recent trip. I find it just a tad bit hassle to initialize and lug around, but the footage after is all worth it. Been using it with an iPhone X and so far so good.. till I got a chance to get this.. well... soon to get it.

Thanks and let's get this thread goin!

2. imart

imart PhilMUG Addict Member

If it might help, SRP sold by SLR Revo (SG) is S$519 (P19,799.85 @ today's forex PHP38.15/sgd).

3. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

Digging the Osmo Pocket as well. iJustine over at YouTube did justice on demoing the device.I Especially liked the face/animal tracking. This might give GoPro a run for it's money.

4. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

Preliminary testing. Panoramic shots in the office.

photo_20181213141854_6553620_0.JPG
    photo_20181213142930_6553626_0.JPG
    photo_20181213144138_6553642_0.JPG

5. jcsantamarina

Staff Member

Nice! Are those on auto settings? From the videos and photos I've seen on Youtube, I noticed that color is a bit washed out and highlights are blown out. I'm considering tweaking the settings on my phone to balance that out. However, when the ND Filters come out later, I'm sure to get those. What accessories are you guys planning on getting once they're available? Here's my list:
    1.) ND Filters
    2.) Controller Wheel.

What I'd like to test it on too is hooking it up with my iPad Pro.. and in anticipation for this I've downloaded the MIMO app already, sad to say it's only a "ported" version of the Phone app that you can zoom in to maximize on screen.

leninmac likes this.
  6. chris2x

chris2x Active Member

looking forward to seeing more real-world samples and feedback!

7. jcsantamarina

Staff Member

Planning a checklist for when I get mine. Anything else to add?
    1. Pocket stand alone vs Pocket with iPhone app / iPad app
    2. Comparison of Pocket and Mobile 2 with iPhone
    3. Comparison of Pocket with Mimo vs iPhone with Filmic Pro

8. shootertwist

shootertwist PhilMUG Addict Member

also interested in this one, just not sure i'd use it a lot just like the gopro hero 7 hehe :) curious when its attached on the iphone, can you just hold the iphone and not the osmo pocket or you really need two hands to hold both phone and osmo pocket?

9. jcsantamarina

Staff Member

Based on the videos I saw, they just held the iPhone and the Pocket was light enough to support itself via the Lightning / USB C Port. Which is why, I already prepped by getting the Manfrotto Smartphone Mount. Will use that to attach the phone to a tripod and be a steady mount as well for the Pocket.

10. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

For now, ho-hum. Two limitations that became apparent:
    1) The camera head cannot rotate freely because the base of the iPad will get in the way; and
    2) The Mimo app has no native support for a screen size bigger than an iPhone. You can 2x the app to scale to fit an iPad, but that's just not the same as native resolution.

However, it is still useful for transferring files from the Pocket to the iPad Pro, where photo/video editing is better suited.

11. jcsantamarina

Staff Member

If that's the case, that'll work for me. How does the Pocket transfer files to the iPhone/iPad? Through lightning in-app? So no need for an additional card reader for that micro SD card!

12. shootertwist

shootertwist PhilMUG Addict Member

^sir can you use the pocket attached to the iPhone and just hold the phone and not the pocket? is the lightning adapter enough to hold it? thanks in advance :)

13. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

yes. the pocket is light enough for that use case. however, one cannot set both on a flat surface, since their bottoms are not at the same level.

personally, i prefer to use my pocket on its own. it's more in line with the run-and-gun ethos of its design. turn the camera on and shoot away. of course, if you have the luxury of preparation and set-shots, holding the iphone may be worth considering—but not when i'm shooting over the ledge, as i did in the second photo i posted above.

the accessories that i will most likely use: pocket mount, and maybe the wireless base. can't wait to shoot time lapses this weekend! :)

14. chris2x

chris2x Active Member

off the top of my head...
    - low light comparisons
    - focus performance
    - "rolling shutter" or juttering effect due to high shutter speed in bright light (which the ND filter would resolve hopefully)
    - fit with a case on the phone (haven't seen videos with a cased-up iphone connected to the pocket so thought to ask this)

#14 chris2x, Dec 13, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  15. chris2x

chris2x Active Member

that's how it works for my Osmo X3 (via wifi), so i would assume the same case here (only this time via the lightning port).

16. leninmac

leninmac PhilMUG Addict Member

Got mine from Changi Airport. SGD485. Roughly PHP 18600. Can’t wait to try this out.
    9FBD97D9-0CB7-46AD-905B-3CA2E141572D.jpeg

17. pinoyslinger

pinoyslinger Active Member

Sharing one of my first videos. I intentionally did not edit the video just so you can see and hear the quality. I am not good at editing anyway hehe I hope you can forgive my videography skills too. Settings: super fine 1920X1080 @ 30fps ISO Auto shutter speed 1/120. Thanks for watching :)

#17 pinoyslinger, Dec 13, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
    macjobber and chris2x like this.
  18. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

^Good first video!

Am no video professional, but I've shot videos using three different motorised gimbals (DSLR, smartphone, and Pocket), as well as drones. Personally, I do not like remote controlling the camera to pan or tilt—the result is jerky, mechanical and unnatural.

The math and science of levers is fairly simple: The shorter the lever (radius from the pivot point), the faster the angular velocity. That's why ice skaters tuck their arms, to spin faster. The same applies to gimbals and drones. Camera heads are so small, pivoting the head creates an abrupt motion, resulting in a jerky video. So for a smoother video pan, it is better to extend the hand (increase the radius) as the camera operator pivots the body towards the direction of the subject. Similarly, in drones, the video is smoother if one pivots the drone, which has a bigger turning radius, than panning the camera head, which has a tiny turning radius, thereby producing an abrupt jerky video.

Tips from a science geek. :)

That said, the Pocket has a smaller camera-head turning radius than a smartphone gimbal. So the Pocket is less forgiving to quick panning movements, compared to a smartphone gimbal. In short, a Pocket user needs to be mindful of this, and must compensate by being smoother-moving with the Pocket than when using a smartphone gimbal.

chris2x, imart, potpot2 and 3 others like this.
  19. pinoyslinger

Thank you, Sir, for this very easy to understand yet highly scientific explanation. I learned something very important today. I wanted to walk like a cat to lessen the "bobbing" but I was too shy hehehe

#19 pinoyslinger, Dec 14, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  20. pinoyslinger

My amateur edited video.
    Merry Christmas :)

leninmac, jcsantamarina and imart like this.