DJ applications

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by mk, May 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mk

mk Member

Hi Philmuggers! I'm the DJ for the Ateneo DanceSports Club (ADSC) and for a long time now I've been playing the songs for practice and competition (during the PE classes) via itunes only. I've been trying to find a good DJ application that could help me out but well most of the things Ive searched for cater to well trance/ live mixing DJs and not exactly one for the strict competition use that latin and standard require

I need something that
    1. I can make playlists for per round (cha cha samba rumba jive or cha cha samba rumba paso doble and jive)
    2. can help me make take count of how long the music has to be played (generally 90 minutes)
    3, Help increasing or decreasing tempo depending upon the skill level of the dancers (this means BARS per minute not BEATS)

#1 mk, May 4, 2009
    Last edited: May 4, 2009
  2. travism

travism Active Member

You can check out the following DJ software...

1. Native Instrument's Traktor Pro/Duo (Used by the Pros...)
    2. Serato Scratch Live (Used by Pros...)
    3. M Audio's Torq/Connectiv
    4. Imageline's Deckadance
    5. Numark's Cue
    6. Stanton's Final Scratch 2 (A bit old...)
    7. Virtual DJ

Check out the links in my signature for some reviews. A lot of DJs locally use Traktor and Serato... they have become the standard. You can also check out the iMusician's section for more info on set ups and gear.

Cheers

3. rexfuge

rexfuge Member

4. zChris

zChris Active Member

i suggest mixmeister. they have a version for mac and pc.

i would think that you would pre-create your sets for either a class / practice session and they need to be consistent in terms of sequencing and timing if you will be using them for a routine.

i used this software some time ago to create the music for a dance number for a christmas party presentation, which consisted of about 4 songs mixed in a certain way to fit the choreography of the presentation. it worked great.

check it out at www.mixmeister.com

5. mk

mk Member

uhm Im not so sure if you read my message correctly I don't exactly need gear or anything like that I'm a DANCESPORT DJ (as in ballroom), not one who mixes or anything like that. i don't think there are any 'scratches' in the paso doble that i could use traktor or scratch for but thanks I think they might come in useful if i ever make show dance music I actually like the interface of serato scratch live.

Does anyone know of any DJ software that could like fade out the music automatically for me after 90 seconds then start the next song?

#5 mk, May 4, 2009
    Last edited: May 4, 2009
  6. travism

travism Active Member

"...uhm Im not so sure if you read my message correctly I don't exactly need gear or anything like that"

The things I listed down are just DJ software and not hardware... If you just aim to "create" a set like what zchris mentioned mixmeister would do...

7. mk

mk Member

I meant about hardware suggestions, I kept scratch on my hard drive for well the fun of it cause it looked like a really fun program to play around with! hahaha

pero yeah I need dj applications not for mixing but for making organization and playing music for competition (including increasing tempo or decreasing tempo for the dancers) and fading out after 90 minutes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.