DITO Telecommunity (China Telecom)

Discussion in 'Networking, Telcos and ISPs' started by Juice, Dec 28, 2017.

1. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm…the more the merrier. I m all for increased competition.

2. Hero33

Hero33 PhilMUG Addict Member

Yahoooooo this is gonna make my PLDT Fibr hopefully reach half a gig to a gig na dapat.

super Sulit for my ubiquity network setup

3. King

King PhilMUG Addict Member

iPhone 5 or newer with 4G/5G or any iPads with 4G/5G are not listed as a supported devices.

I am unsure if this is a marketing move to support their Android partner stores who are probably distributing the SIM for free, the iPhone app is not yet approved by the App Store at this time or is it barred from the network at launch.

DITO updated their website for online ordering. This is the only way to get only the prepaid SIM.. It's a smartphone-only website. It will error if you use your desktop browser.

At this time all over the counter SIM purchases comes bundled with a 4G/5G phone. My guess this is done to limit returns from subs trying to use DITO on an incompatible 2G/3G device and to lower Dito's cost in distribution.

The site will verify if you have a compatible 4G/5G Android phone and presently located in a city where Dito's 4G/5G network is available before accepting your order. This is done to limit returns from subs who used the SIM on a 2G/3G device outside coverage area and bad press.

I am unsure if you can buy DITO load other than their website or Android app.

Only way to find out is for someone to insert a DITO SIM into an unlocked iPhone 5 or newer.

Only these 4G/5G Android phones are listed to support Dito's 4G/5G-only network.

[​IMG]

Right now the Google PlayStore does not show the DITO app. A link to it is described to be sent via SMS as a sideloaded APK for Android so it has not gone through Google PlayStore scrutiny.

#203 King, Mar 8, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
    raypin likes this.
  4. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 PhilMUG Addict Member

I can only speculate this needs an OTA carrier update to make DITO SIMs work on the iPhone. Given the app is not yet available in the App Store may tell a bit about that too. I give them a couple of months (1 or 2?) to support iPhones. I think their dependence on VoLTE may be an architecture design that they invested on stable cellular data coverage than just GSM voice channels.

Birth pains I guess.

King likes this.
  5. lamski

lamski PhilMUG Addict Member

How about changing the user agent in Safari's Develop menu?
    [​IMG]

6. King

695Mbps 5G download speeds :) That's 5k-7k/month on fiber.

This is what I get on my BYOD 1500 SIM with a 4G router

[​IMG]

Hero33 and raypin like this.
  7. Hero33

Let the telco wars begin!!!!

popcorn ready.

raypin likes this.
  8. piedad

piedad Well-Known Member

China Telecoms? Hard pass for me.

9. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

Wife wanted Smart after she saw the CLOY couple...
    I signed up after I saw Captain America :LOL:

jayparalejas likes this.
  10. jayparalejas

jayparalejas Well-Known Member

Friends from cebu complained about the launch requirements, some retailers require it being bundled with a new phone which is absurd.

I hope they offer fixed wireless.

11. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

12. King

Here are the 4G & 5G frequencies that is assigned to Dito

I compared it to my iPhone 11 Pro Max Model # A2218 bands

4G: 4 out of 5 bands are a match to Dito network. Missing is 3300 MHz at band 52.

5G: Tops out at 4G so cannot do 3500Mhz

In terms of Mbps it will not go beyond 50Mbps. 5G allows for nearly 700Mbps.

As an end user I'm ok with the limitations as the higher the Mhz number the less it can go through walls or longer distances.

I made a conscious choice to always get an iPhone that is 1 year behind the latest generation technology standard for broadband cellular networks for these reasons
    • Our telcos cannot deploy the latest tech on the 1st year to that many locations
    • 1st year of availability on the iPhone tends to have a Qualcomm or Intel cellular modem that consumes more power leading to a shorter battery life
    • I prefer a faster Apple Silicon chip than a faster cellular modem
    • By the 3rd year of telco's deployment would have sufficient number of locations with the latest generation cellular base station
    Same reason why I do not care for the latest WiFi or Bluetooth standards as the wifi I connect to uses fiber that aint that is a fraction of the WiFi standard's throughput or Bluetooth devices that arent that new.

Its good to have for future proofing but if you change it out every 24 months then its material to the next user after you.

What's more tangible today if the latest Apple Silicon chip.

I want DITO to succeed and gain 30-40% from Globe and PLDT's collective market share to induce competition.

#212 King, Mar 9, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
    ronjet and potpot2 like this.
  13. piedad

piedad Well-Known Member

14. joethemobile01

joethemobile01 Active Member

Screenshot_20210309_123650.jpg

Eto pinaka mataas na speedtest ko sa DITO naka unli data pa

ronjet, Hero33 and antski like this.
  15. King

Nice throughput at Jhaycor

16. King

Something to ponder.

For the top 0.1% of people who in live in places like Dasma, Forbes, Urdaneta, etc the privacy of their data is a priority.

For the bottom 80% of people who can only afford 199/month then it isnt that much of a priority.

ARPU of prepaid SIMs are 50-150/month.

199/month for unlimited 27Mbps LTE & unlimited text/data to same network may be worth sacrificing the privacy of someone making only 13k/month.

I appreciate Dito's debut as a subscriber of Smart/Globe as it will force my service providers to offer more text/calls/data per peso I spend.

I may never subscribe to Dito but competition is nice.

If I owned Globe stocks I'd unload them now before Dito gets 20-40% market share on its 6th year.

Hero33 likes this.
  17. antski

antski Well-Known Member

There are a lot of people waiting for DITO 'here' in Luzon.

18. Silentwill

Silentwill Active Member

See what you did there.

Not planning to switch but I'm watching out for how it'll shake up Globe and Smart and push them to improve their services and prices.

19. King

Same with you no plans to switch

If you are up for renewal within the next 9 months I would wait for Globe/PLDT to update their offers.

I'm hoping that PLDT's unlimited 50Mbps will match Eastern Home's 1898/month.

My postpaid's renewal is lined up to when I expect the iPhone 13 will be out.

Hopefully they offer Plan 1799 with unlimited calls/text and 60GB data at 5G speeds over over 200Mbps

20. Hero33

probably will never get dito but hoping they bump up our internet in the villages to gigabit via PLDT fibr cause of competition.

PLDT and globe have been digging around the village since last year and I’m excited for the final throughput that we’re gonna get.

#220 Hero33, Mar 9, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2021