Disney+ - Disney's streaming service

Discussion in 'Media and content' started by leninmac, Aug 30, 2018.

1. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

2. kinse_44

kinse_44 PhilMUG Addict Member

Disney+ will cost $7 a month, while a Disney+ Hulu ESPN+ bundle will cost $13 a month when it launches this fall.

raypin likes this.
  3. Dgame12345

Dgame12345 Active Member

I hope magkaroon din ng disney + sa phil...

4. fcdiesta

fcdiesta PhilMUG Addict Member

It's actually the ad-supported Hulu that's going to be bundled with Disney+. And Hulu is not available in a lot of countries (and AFAIK needs a live TV subscription in the US). Also, ESPN+ is not really appealing to me (No NBA, NFL and MLB, and no, not even SportsCenter). So who knows what form this bundle will reach us, and how enticing it will be? Maybe they'll bundle it with Fox+ or whatever local streaming service they can partner up with...

raypin likes this.
  5. kinse_44

To me this is great news. By November my Hulu subscription, that costs only $0.99 a month thanks to 2018’s Black Friday sale, will expire. I tried ESPN+ before and it’s good for its $5 price tag because I get the entire 30 for 30 series that I love, and their weekly and daily insider shows are great as well. Some game replays available on demand expire quickly though. I didn’t commit to ESPN+ because even though it’s cheap, I’ll gladly put that $5 somewhere else since I still have Netflix, Hulu, and Prime Video to consume most of my free time for binge watching.

But come November I’ll be taking that bundle. My Hulu subscription will go up to $6 a month, and Netflix will start to slim down because their Disney license is set to expire. If I do the math, it feels like I’m getting ESPN+ for free (Hulu + Disney), or just paying $2 for that Disney library (Hulu + ESPN), or getting to keep my $0.99 Hulu (Disney and ESPN).

#25 kinse_44, Aug 7, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
    Ghibli likes this.
  6. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

It's coming on November 12th.

He isn't Jango or Boba Fett, but he is The Mandalorian. Guess what, he's not saying much.

Sunil_K, Ghibli and leninmac like this.
  7. kinse_44

Disney+ continues to undercut Netflix, and others as their $7 a month streaming service will include 4K.

I think Netflix with 4K is at $16 in the US.

leninmac likes this.
  8. vic2rp

vic2rp Active Member

Im not really affected by the prices because i'll be just switching services monthly. It only takes me less than 3 minutes to resubscribe or cancel a service.

9. Ghibli

Ghibli PhilMUG Addict Member

10. Mykolant

Mykolant PhilMUG Addict Member

Between Down Under and the Great White North
    I'm totally fine with this. It's like watching TV in the 80s and 90s, you have to wait each week for a new episode. Or you can wait for the season to finish and then binge watch the whole thing in one go.

If the channel has lots of content to choose from, I'm sure you can get busy with different shows each day/week.

Ghibli, raypin and hitme64 like this.
  11. hitme64

Or you can end up stressed out from all the waiting and shift to Netflix again...;)

Mykolant and leninmac like this.
  12. leninmac

leninmac PhilMUG Addict Member

Netflix is also looking at releasing weekly episodes. Hard to sustain subscriber’s interest if you keep on releasing entire seasons.

hitme64 likes this.
  13. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm....I like the binge model. I delay watching until the TV series has many seasons on tap. Rare exceptions were Season 7 and 8 of GOT. @Mykolant is right. Many programs to watch to keep busy.

hitme64 likes this.
  14. hitme64

Or you can end up stressed out from all the waiting and shift to Amazon Prime again...;)

15. kinse_44

Disney+ once again undercuts their competition by letting fans who are at the D23 expo to sign up for a 3 year commitment plan for $140, a 33% discount from the standard annual price.

hitme64, bacchus_3 and raypin like this.
  16. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm...hopefully Netflix responds to the challenge by lowering their prices. It is a consumer win.

The problem with Netflix is it badly needs cash to keep it going. Their cash burn is just phenomenal.

hitme64 likes this.
  17. Ghibli

Ghibli PhilMUG Addict Member

Same. I don’t really mind either model of episode availability.

18. hitme64

And will continue to burn if they keep on producing films like Bright, which darkened Will Smith’s sci-fi career down the drain, or even Close, which was a cash disaster, and Triple Frontier, which could’ve been better if they didn’t kill off Ben Affleck.

But Netflix still beckons because it has better serial shows than Amazon Prime or Starz and maybe Hulu, but against Disney+ it has to do more. More quality movies, more spell-binding serials. And 4K. Not that crappy HD please.

ronjet likes this.
  19. Kritiker

Kritiker Member

I think Netflix will not be able to last long. It has started to lose US subscribers and way below their new international subs target.
    They are in debt and the subs are their only income (no ads).

I think they will probably be bought by Disney in 5 years time more or less. (which keeps gobbling up other studios).

Disney has lots of cash to burn even if they price their service at break-even prices for a few years, they will be able to handle it.

20. Mykolant

Mykolant PhilMUG Addict Member

Between Down Under and the Great White North
    it actually works if you don't choose just one streaming service. I mean, how bad will it be to subscribe to all of them - Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney+, HBO, Hulu, or even Cinemax (from the 90s, hehe)?

I still like Netflix because they have loads of old movies and TV shows, and maybe one or 2 really good new titles I'd like to binge watch. Same with Amazon.

Just don't add TFC and you'll be fine. ;)

leninmac, raypin and hitme64 like this.