Digital Terrestrial Television (DTT) - formerly ABS-CBN digital box

Discussion in 'General OT' started by rage30, Aug 16, 2013.

1. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

I think I'm good. I'll just wait for SOLAR to finalize their testing and increase their output intensity. For now the broadcast is not too shabby.

2. triniedward

triniedward New Member

I got the RCA DV1402 yesterday. and I am able to watch ABS CBN exclusive channels. are these correct? CineMo, YEY, knowledge channel, and DZMM teledyaro, I watch them clearly.

3. hokage6

hokage6 Active Member

does the bigger antenna minimize the need to use outdoor antenna or its still the same compared to the first version?

4. itnetad

itnetad Active Member

really? i have the original blackbox "abs cbn" in order for me to watch those exclusive channels i have to key in the code thru text

5. triniedward

triniedward New Member

I was watching Pepeng Kuryente (ramon revilla) yesterday, while testing at the Office (in RCBC), then it was Power Rangers on YEY. looks like this is a better deal than the abs cbn blackbox. you get all channels, HDMI (Ready for HD transmissions), recording features, play downloaded movies, mp3, view pic from the USB. I was not expecting these channels at all when I got the RCA.

6. jetan

jetan PhilMUG Addict Member

you just got lucky since they are having maintenance issues later they'll block those channels again.

7. eyemac

eyemac Active Member

We all hate MRT maintenance issues but this one doesn't hurt :)

8. JRDaza

JRDaza Member

2.3K at VMALL.[/QUOTE]

Only 1.6k at Ambassador Glorietta. Just dont know if its the latest model.

9. eyemac

eyemac Active Member

That's (1.6k) the OLD model most probably

10. hokage6

hokage6 Active Member

Is the rca website legit? They are now selling online.

11. jetan

It's legit. Try ordering then.

12. eyemac

eyemac Active Member

better deal since they are now offering FREE delivery (Nationwide I think)

13. Adel

Adel Moderator
    Staff Member

I finally have the new RCA DV1501 Digital TV Box to test and review, and compare to the first model, the DV1402. (Full disclosure: I was given a review unit by the official distributor, Search Commercial, Inc. Thanks, Abell and Margaret.) I’m working on a review for some of my outlets, but I thought PhilMUG deserved a first look.

Now the reason I bought the original model was because of the HDMI output; the original ABS-CBN box only had analog output. On the DV1501, the HDMI port is still there, although Search still doesn’t include an HDMI cable with the unit (they’re a bit expensive), and include only the analog connectors.

[​IMG]

Nothing much has really changed, in terms of operation. It still got the same interface and the same GUI, the same connectors at the back—HDMI, analog video and audio, coax antenna input, and a single USB port on the front to connect a flash drive or external hard disk to. Aside from providing clear Digital TV, it still is also a media player and a TV recorder, and those things haven’t changed.

The casing of DV1501 is slightly bigger than the first model, because it now has its power cord directly coming from the unit and making an external power supply unnecessary, as it’s built-into the unit itself. The DV1402 had an external power adaptor, which allowed for the model itself to be slimmer and smaller, but added something to the mix. Well, at least that’s one less thing to worry about.

The DV1501 now has actual buttons at the front of the unit to turn the power on and off, a dedicated menu button and a four-way rocker navigation switch that allows you to completely control the unit from the unit itself. Previously, all the controls on the older model (including the power switch) was accessible only via an on-screen menu controlled by the provided remote. So if you lost the remote of the DV1402, you’re SOL. Now, you can control it directly on the unit itself if you want.

There is also a simple LED display on the front that tells you what channel you’re on, which is convenient, but completely unnecessary as the on-screen display gives you the same information. On the DV1402 you only had a single light that switches from green (power on) to red (power off).

[​IMG]

Perhaps the best and most useful improvement is that the DV1501 includes a bigger, powered five-meter cabled indoor antenna. (There is this menu option from the old model that always puzzled me, because it apparently didn’t do anything even if you switch it on and off: “Antenna Power”. Turns out, it was for this antenna!)

The new powered indoor antenna has a longer 5-meter cable, is much bigger than the old one and has a wide base with a light that turns on if you power up the antenna from the menu.

The new antenna has a built-in 5-watt booster in it that delivers better signals, and ostensibly, more stations. I don’t really know about that, but I noticed that some of the signals, which had previously been intermittent and unstable, had become solid and steady. But you still really need an outdoor antenna to catch some of the weaker stations. That requirement hasn’t changed.

While we’re on the topic, there is the question of authenticity of the product as actually being made by RCA.

It is.

I’ve confirmed that it isn’t just some Chinese knockoff and rebranded with some famous and more established name so it will sell to the unsuspecting public. It is designed and made by RCA abroad specifically for this market, and also for some of our Asian neighbors. But the packaging is made here, with a simple manual in Tagalog included in the box to make sure buyers actually understand how to use the product and not have to bug Search Commercial, or return the product because they couldn’t figure out how to use it.

If you can live without the special “blocked” ABS-CBN channels (which is weird because it’s supposed to be “free” digital TV), the RCA DV1501 Digital TV Box is available for around P2k in selected stores, while the old model is still available at P1600. It’s loads cheaper than the analog-only ABS-CBN TVplus, which sells for P2.5k.

For my money, this is the one to get. Hey, it’s got HDMI, plays media and records TV broadcasts, aside from providing clear digital TV. And it’s branded. And inexpensive. What’s not to like?

14. marky2115

marky2115 Active Member

I've been looking for that new RCA digital tv box for a week now but stores I'd been too either don't have one in stock or don't know the product.

15. hokage6

hokage6 Active Member

@adel

if you were to decide, should you choose 501 over the 401? are the slight changes in specs made it a worthy upgrade?

16. jetan

it's got a new firmware vs the previous model.

17. Adel

Adel Moderator
    Staff Member

The knee-jerk answer is the DV1501, mainly because it's the latest model, but I'm not too sure. The physical changes don't really matter that much, and the inclusion of the power supply in the unit itself complicates things if it ever screws up.

The only real reason I'd go with the newer model is the powered indoor antenna, but if you're going to use an outside antenna anyway, that's moot.

All things being equal, I think I'd stick to the DV1402.

18. pael

pael Well-Known Member

Just got the DV1402. Here in Daang Hari, using the included antenna, I can only get ABS-CBN channels.

What's the frequency for GMA 7? I will try my luck if I can get it through manual search.

19. pael

pael Well-Known Member

A lot of stock available at Ambassador Glorietta

20. jetan

You need a bigger antenna.