Digital Piano for Beginners

Discussion in 'Musicians and DJs' started by leninmac, May 30, 2016.

1. quakercountry

quakercountry Member

we bought a piano from a music store in rob.magnolia.
    casio brand, it lights up to tell you which key to hit, and connects to the ipad, and weighted 88keys, and i dont know what the feature is called but when you press hard it plays hard when you press soft, it plays soft.
    for 12k.
    my 8yr old seems to like it, then again what does he know.
    the piano teacher just asks that the lighted keys be turned off.
    my wife is sneaking in some self learning piano lesson time herself.
    i also tried it, apparently, i dont have command of my individual fingers.!

greta87 and ericb like this.
  2. ericb

ericb Active Member

No plan on taking a lessons yet. I'm actually planning on learning through the Simply Piano app, and maybe ImprovPianoTips. Also, I might be buying Nancy Faber's Adult Piano Adventures. Are these good materials?

3. iamtonypet

iamtonypet Member

'Have not actually tried these materials you cited but I believe they are - that piano app is interesting. They should suffice na din. I'd still suggest na you get yourself a teacher or enroll in a music school once you've gone through the basics kasi you'd want to learn more talaga. Also, it's a wonderful experience to play at recitals and concerts (I was given Jim Chapelle's "Gone" - 'di ko na nga lang alam how to play it.). Whichever way you go, I'm sure na it'll be a fun experience. :love:

ericb and greta87 like this.
  4. docjbr

docjbr PhilMUG Addict Member

Ok, read up most of the replies on this thread. My 7 year old wants to learn, so Im planning to get her a beginner one. I like the feel of the real keys, but we cant have a piano in our condo, so a portable one would have to do. Do those light up things really help them learn? I mean, I learned by reading notes and practice, so I dont really know if it’s a good thing. Planning to let her have lessons in July.

So what’s a good brand and mode that I should start with? Not really sure if I really need all the bells and whistles, doubt I’d edit it on my Mac, just really want her to learn and she if she falls in love with it.

leninmac likes this.
  5. greta87

greta87 PhilMUG Addict Member

I live in a condo as well. My daughter took up piano lessons when she was 9 years old (she's 16 now & still plays the piano regularly & her last recital piece was Fantasie Impromptu by Chopin just to give you an idea of where she's at now), I got her this yamaha DGX 530 four (4) years ago & it's a good fit for her bedroom. here's a review of this particular model.

https://digitalpianojudge.com/yamaha-dgx-530-review/

6. docjbr

Thanks for the recommendation! For things like these, is there like a logical place to get them? Go straight to Yamaha? Should I trust online sellers? Physical store?

greta87 likes this.
  7. leninmac

leninmac PhilMUG Addict Member

Passed my DGX660 to my niece. I tried learning but just couldn't get the hang of it. Works fine. Weighted keys. Several instruments, voices. You can also connect an iOS Device, there's a Yamaha App that is able read notes on any song played on your iOS device. The P series is also a viable option.

8. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

Tatlo lang yan—one for each daughter. ;)

1) Yamaha—Yupangco on Buendia is closest to you. Carries all Yamaha and Roland digital pianos. They also own all Perfect Pitch stores.
    2) JB Music Stores—Akai, Alesis, Native Instruments, M1 Audio; these are mostly keyboard controllers though, some weighted;
    3) Audiophile—Korg

There are other shops (Lyric, Music Source, etc.) with lesser known brands. But you don't want your three daugthers chiding you for buying a cheap 3-in-1. ;)

ericb and greta87 like this.
  9. quakercountry

quakercountry Member

just came back from japan.. saw piano's being sold in bic camera...
    specifically casio privia models for 60k yen. whereas they're being sold here for 60k pesos, promo na yan sir! hanggang end of month lang!
    i wanted to bring one home!
    my son is playing Schumann – Arabesque now.

10. docjbr

What?! That is awesome! I guess that one's for me, haha! Both the P and DGX series have the option to hook up an iPhone to get the notes/chords? My daughter/s, would still want them to learn the traditional way. Thanks! :)

Oo nga pala, there's a Yamaha along Buendia! Will probably stick with Yamaha then. Thanks for the tips! :)

#50 docjbr, Jun 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
    leninmac likes this.
  11. leninmac

leninmac PhilMUG Addict Member

If I remember correctly the App is called Chord Tracker. You just need a couple of cables. A USB AB cable (primarily used for printers) and a USB to lightning connector to connect your iOS device. Here you go.

docjbr likes this.