Difference between retail Snow Leopard disk and the one included with a Mac purchase

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by triballistic, Jan 4, 2010.

1. triballistic

triballistic Member

I've read from an Apple Discussions page that the Snow Leopard disk included with a Mac purchase won't be able to do a clean install of SL.

So...

1. Does that mean I have to buy the retail version in order to do a clean install?
    2. What are the other differences between the two versions?

2. ishg

ishg I'm female!
    Staff Member Supporter

I believe the difference is you can only use the disc that comes with a Mac purchase for that specific model Mac. That's why you can't borrow someone else's restore discs unless you have the same system.

3. makinao

makinao Active Member

In addition to ^ the installation disks that come with a mac purchase includes iLife and some other goodies which are not in the retail version

4. rogue

rogue Member

Re: Difference between retail Snow Leopard disk

i think the disc that comes included with a new mac is an "upgrade" disc -- meaning you have to have Leopard installed first. technically it should only be used with for the newly purchased mac.

it won't install SL from other previous versions of OSX.

5. makinao

makinao Active Member

SL was released late August. I bought my macbook (5,2) late November 2009. It came installed with SL. The recovery disks are 10.6

6. mark_17

mark_17 Active Member

afaik these are the difference among installer discs:

1. if your mac came with leopard and you're eligible for a free snow leopard upgrade, you get a snow leopard utd upgrade dvd disc from apple. you can use this disc to upgrade leopard to snow leopard, the disc will check for leopard installation before it proceeds to upgrade it. "Upgrade DVD" is printed on top of the disc.

2. if your mac came with snow leopard then you have the restore discs of this mac model. you cannot use this discs to install snow leopard on a different mac model, example is you cannot use a macbook restore discs to install snow leopard on a macbook pro... only with another macbook. and like what makinao mentioned, the restore discs also contains/includes another mac softwares like ilife, etc.

3. snow leopard retail, this is the disc to use to install snow leopard on any mac system. no other mac software is included. "Install DVD" is printed on top of the disc.

4. snow leopard boxset, this is basically your snow leopard retail + ilife 09 + iwork 09.

7. triballistic

triballistic Member

Re: Difference between retail Snow Leopard disk and the one included with a Mac purch

Thanks, mark_17. That's what I call "comprehensive." :D

8. newnomad

newnomad Guest

Re: Difference between retail Snow Leopard disk and the one included with a Mac purch

Regarding point 2 mark_17 made;
    This is because the restore dvd checks what your system is. Now I would like to know, even if the dvd would not check, does it contain system specific files that are needed? Does the restore dvd contain all the files needed for any other previous mac system, and just excludes other systems by checking. Or is the restore dvd stripped of files needed for any other previous mac system in addition to checking.
    Or does each latest macosx always contains all whats needed to run on evey system, and is all this system specific stuff nonsense? For instance laptop battery stuff or mobile processor optimisation, is also to be found on an imac, or on each mac system update, even if it is not used?