Diet - What works for you?

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by godivachoc, Sep 29, 2011.

1. godivachoc

godivachoc Active Member

Guys,

Just wondering... what sort of food do you eat when you want to lose weight? Like 15lbs more or less? :))

I went to the US and my weight isn't complying with me even when I go to the gym 4x/wk... and I also stopped eating starches. (well just a week pa lang but still..) :))

So what works for you? I did low calorie back in HS buuut that was eating cereals over and over (e.g. Special K diet)

Thanks for your thoughts

2. marlowe_td

marlowe_td Member

Try decreasing your carbo load like rice or bread. And if this is hard start with whole wheat products then eventually you'll able to lower your craving for those high simple carbohydrates hehe:)

3. bugs

bugs PhilMUG Addict Member

when we had our biggest loser contest last year. i just ate oatmeal for breakfast & avoided rice during dinner (except sundays w/c was my cheat day hehe). i drank 2 glasses of water 20-30 mins before meals, & i went to the gym regularly (3-4x a week). i lost 20 lbs in 6 months. but now, i almost gained i back again hehe :p

4. renfield

renfield Account Suspended
    ERASED FROM EXISTENCE

shabu or bangkok pills work for celebrities. :)

5. jaijin

jaijin Well-Known Member

Not good advise. There are kids here my friend, one of whom is my 14 year-old brother whose mind is very impressionable.

#5 jaijin, Sep 29, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  6. viper2lt

viper2lt Well-Known Member

you can also try eating breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a beggar. breakfast is the most important meal of the day so make it the heaviest. dinner the lightest cause you just sleep after dinner... unless you work night shifts or anything like that.

7. godivachoc

godivachoc Active Member

Yeah i've been laying off the starches --- rice, bread, noodles etc. :\ It's just making me miserable :)) hahaha

8. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

9. rpgorriceta

rpgorriceta Member

I've been on a strictly seafood diet for the longest time: what food I can sea I can eat, what food I cannot sea I cannot eat. Works for me :D

10. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

mmm....have you considered working with a dietitian? Self-help books and advice from strangers can only go so far. Since dieting is a life-long commitment, consulting a pro is appropriate. For groceries, try the Whole Foods Market (branches in major cities in the U.S.), assuming that you prefer to dine at home.

11. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

^i agree with raypin. paying for pro help puts your money where your mouth is. ;)

since i have limited time, my quick tip is about quality, well, because quantity is obvious.

according to nuval (nutritional value) rating by a yale professor (forgot his name), the best quality food are:
    fruits and veggies (90+), seafood (80+), whole grains (50+)--all with median scores above 50 on a scale of 1 to 100. the rest are below 50--meat and poultry (20s), junk food in single digits, etc.

google the rest. :)

12. matzl9

matzl9 New Member

Try the cohen diet. You could lose up to 20lbs in a month if you are really comitted to it. Its a program tailored for your body. Its a bit pricey but it really works..;) ..

13. godivachoc

godivachoc Active Member

@sir raypin

Actually i'm back in the Philippines :)) Just haven't updated my profile yet. I have to agree, Whole Foods had awesome selections :)

I'm usually eating goolai (once or twice a day)

Around how much does this cost sir?

14. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

mmm.... @godivachoc......whatever diet program you initiate (reinitiate??), I hope you have a digital food scale (available at Rustan's) at home. It is an indispensable tool. Here's a good food pyramid chart to follow without sacrificing your health or breaking your bank account with expensive programs and, at the same time, avoiding food monotony (although a dietitian is still the best choice because he/she will take into account all your personal circumstances). Fit that chart with this recipe resource, or better yet, go entirely vegetarian like @RB.

I don't believe in starvation diet or taking medications (prescribed or otherwise) to achieve the ideal weight or BMI.

Always wondered: Why are Koreans so thin? They eat a lot of veggies with their meats.

15. matzl9

matzl9 New Member

The program is around 55k..but the food you're going to eat are your usual kitchen foods..im not sure if they still have the 6mos installment plan..

16. lsalapare

lsalapare Well-Known Member

What about apple cider vinegar.. :)

17. fanman

fanman Member

My usual problem is my belly, so I usually avoid soft drinks and iced tea from M-Th. F-Su is ok hehehe. It works for me.

18. McGrill

McGrill Member

What worked for me now, is tennis 6x a week and oatmeal on bfast and dinner.

I lost 30 lbs in 3 mos. Tanggal ang tyan! hehehe

19. Nicky

Nicky Member

After my trips from the US, where I eat 3x my usual, I get back to 100 lbs in less than a month, just doing what I usually do. Exercising 4x a week, eating a balanced diet in moderation, and still allowing myself cheat days. I don't like salads, so I don't eat them. How long has it been since you arrived? Don't expect results overnight; they will come in time.

Or you can try this. :)
    http://www.bon-appetit-diet.com/

20. cosanostra

cosanostra Member

my diet:

breakfast: heavy (grilled steak and red rice, grilled chicken and red rice, grilled lambchops and red rice)
    lunch: steamed fish or grilled fish or wheat bread with tuna (no rice during lunch)
    dinner: salad without dressing

gym: 3-5x a week (train like a freak)