Did you ever regret an Apple product you've purchased? Why?

Discussion in 'AppleTalk' started by snipes, Nov 27, 2018.

1. p.pipster

p.pipster Well-Known Member

What an a**hole. I love him.

I am almost in regret buying my current MBP that I just got last month. Just a series of unfortunate events and circumstances:
    • First time using it, I had difficulty maintaining a connection with my home network. Never had that issue before with my old MBA. All our other devices never had that issue with that trusty old Time Capsule. I mean... 115k for a laptop and "couldn't hold his beer?" C'mon.
    • Before this, I was using the non-retina MBA with only 2 USB ports. The #DongleLife with that device was real but nothing compared to this one. Sure, 4 USB-C ports... all of them useless (except for the USB-C power cord) even for a quick transfer of files through sneakernet.
    • So I got myself a USB-C hub with 6 ports (to be sure) – HDMI, 2 USBs (with the blue clits... sorry), USB-C with power delivery, media card & ethernet. Turns out I don't use it a lot because of the hassle and, well, I really just need the old USB slots. 5k down the drain.
    • Not sure if it's me but my Skype works like crap. I get the other party's messages really delayed. Put myself in an embarrassing situation with clients 3 times already.
    • Just this morning while screen sharing using zoom.us, gave me sudden blank screens and had to reboot. 4 times within a span of 2 hours. I've read, but not sure, that it's a bug in an older version of the app.
    • I miss mag safe.
    With all of that, my wife who works beside me uses her old trusty MBA. Never had issues with the network, not having hassles with dongles and freakin' zoom works well. And she still has her magsafe connectors.

2. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Mm....well, if there is a regretable experience, it was the old magsafe adaptors. It easily frayed and replacements were Apple-priced. The replacements I bought I made sure never frayed again by taping it in duct tape.

Salaryman Ryan likes this.
  3. rdy0329

rdy0329 PhilMUG Addict Member

iPad 3. The worst iPad ever. Retina display on it was lacking A5X struggled to keep up and the heat it generated is enough to warm me up during cold winter's night. Not to mention it was replaced by A6X variant after iPhone 5 was launched.

4. kinse_44

kinse_44 Well-Known Member

Those expensive Apple accessories, like the Lightning to Digital AV adapter, and thunderbolt cable. I hate it that I paid so much for something I rarely use. And also iPad Smart Covers that not only broke down from wear and tear, but also it left marks on the side of the iPad.

For Apple devices, I regret buying the iPad 3 in HK because back then I wasn't wise when dealing with currency conversion. Another iPad that I regret buying was the first gen giant iPad Pro cellular version. I bought it for two reasons: 1. I wanted more screen space coming from an iPad Mini. 2. I wanted to try out if I could indeed swap my MBP for an iPad Pro Cellular for on the go mobile computing. However, expectations weren't met. The iPad was too heavy and big to use as a tablet, and I wasn't a fan of typing on a physical keyboard then smudging up the screen with my fingerprints when I tap to select or scroll. When the 10.5 iPad Pro came, that was when I ready to give up the giant Pro.

5. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

So true. Apple's accessory dongles like its old white head phones and power adaptors were terrible quality. They sure nickled and dimed their customers on that part.

Sir iAco and raypin like this.
  6. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

Oh hey, I have found out that I actually bought extra Apple cables and dongles, especially for the older iPhones which are not lightning-enabled...I also have around 3 dongles for the MacBook Air 1st Gen which I apparently didn't give to the new owner circa 2015...

As regrettable as it is, I also bought an extra iPhone earphone in Seoul and forgot that my iPhone had lightning hence during the entire flight to the US I had no use of it...

raypin likes this.
  7. Shadowfox

Shadowfox Member

No, never had any regrets with any Apple product I ever bought. But I'd probably have buyer's remorse if I buy a Macbook 12-inch now and then Apple would announce a spec update a week later. I love the Macbook Air 2018's features but I love the 12-inch version's smaller footprint. I used to own a PowerBook G4 and I'm a fan of this form factor. :D

8. p.pipster

p.pipster Well-Known Member

Do you still have unused extra earpods with the headphone jack? I'll buy it off of you, kung pwede.

9. hitme64

hitme64 PhilMUG Addict Member

^Used and abused, actually...all 4 of them...sorry

The thing about these headphones is that the wire cables don't hold long to the headphone jack and succumb to wear, tear and grime...

But they still can hear, if that's the best thing about them...

10. aids888

aids888 Member

I regret buying an iPhone 6 16gb. Bought for only 25k when it came out but was not able to maximize since i had to delete most apps and couldnt install many games

11. jologs

jologs Member

I initially regretted buying my 2017 MBP 13 NTB. It was slow and buggy out of the box and it overheated with the fans spinning up to the maximum for no apparent reason. It got fixed after I did a clean re-install of MacOS. Apart from the expected adjustment period, it also annoyed me that MacOS was missing some pretty basic features that Win10 had built-in and I had to buy apps to get those basic functionalities back. I thought at the time that I should've just gotten a Dell XPS instead.

Eventually, I just got used to the Mac. Would I buy another one as a replacement? Probably not.