deleting/uninstalling apps on a Mac (merged)

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by cremebrulee, Aug 20, 2005.

1. dementia

dementia Member

Got the mac to finally work by booting from the CD then fixing. But some of the programs are still not functioning. Is there a way to restore erased files? Diba they're still somehow present in the HD?

2. jps444

jps444 Active Member

i dunno if tech tool pro can do it but you can give it a try. data rescue and file salvage are softwares that can aid you but you will have to purchase them.

3. hacksaw

hacksaw Member

Can you be more specific as to what programs are not working? Chances are, they are in the restore/install CD and you can just re-install them. If they are third party programs, you can download it and re-install provided you legally own them (not pirated) and has the necessary serial numbers. Now, if they are programs like Quicktime, iTunes and other programs that usually comes with your Mac, they are all downloadable free of charge not unless you want the pro version. ;)

Hope this helps.

~hacksaw

4. dementia

dementia Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. It turns out that I have a faulty RAM that's why I couldn't reinstall the OS. Kinda weird cos I don't see any relation between the two. Oh well. Need more RAM.

5. wilcruz35

wilcruz35 Member

deleting files

hey, its me again...i was wondering if deleting and uninstalling is the same thing in mac? i was trying to uninstall my neo office but i dont know what are the proper uninstallation procedures, so i simply deleted it. is it the same thing or are there things that i should do to complete the uninstallation of this?

6. ikenn

ikenn Member

everything is surprisingly simple in mac:cheers:

7. ncarandang

ncarandang Active Member

some programs need a script to uninstall it (like virex) but others, its a simple click drag trash to uninstall. merry xmas!

8. penmanila

penmanila The Pinoy Penman
    Staff Member Supporter

just don't delete files or folders that may sometimes turn up which you don't know the uses of. mac os x needs certain files in certain places (some of them are invisible), without which your mac could be crippled or refuse to boot up.

9. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

AppZapper

Usually, uninstalling an application involves nothing more than dragging it to the trash. This, however, will leave certain leftover files like preferences and caches. It won't really affect system stability, but if you're one of those who are O.C. about this stuff, you might want to check out AppZapper. When you want to uninstall or "zap" an application, just drag & drop it over to AppZapper and it will automatically look for all those extra support files and give you an option to delete them too.

10. zagu

zagu Well-Known Member

Re: AppZapper

thanks patrick! i need this im kinda OC on these things hehehe thanks again!!! :)

11. dominiquejames

dominiquejames Active Member

Are the support files that we given the option of deleting also files being used by other applications or are these support files exclusive to the software being deleted?

12. PatrickGaerlan

PatrickGaerlan Super Moderator
    Staff Member

They should be exclusive to the applciation you're deleting. Don't worry, no DLL files here ;)

13. native_kim

native_kim Member

Re: deleting files

hi, i have a windows media installer in my trash that i cant delete. everytime i try to empty the trash it says that it can't delete 'coz some files are locked... how do i get rid of this?

thanks in advance.

14. polar_bear

polar_bear Member

that's usually due to the file being open, probably due to a partial/incomplete download off the internet, etc

I wrote a script a long time ago to solve this problem for my colleagues (it's part of a much larger utility app, hence the nesting. You can save this script and use again in future.

to get rid of it, please follow instructions CAREFULLY)

1. open your trash can and drag and drop that offending file to your desktop
    2. open Script Editor (in /Applications/Applescript) and copy and paste the code you see below
    3. click on Run, key in your admin password (warning, password entered in the clear) and select the offending file

Code:
    property UserPW : null

on run
    	getUserPW()
    	set eachFile to choose file with prompt "Hard delete which file?"
    	eraseThisFile(eachFile)
    	say "File erased." using "Bruce"
    end run

on eraseThisFile(thisFile)
    	set filePath to quoted form of POSIX path of thisFile
    	try
    		do shell script "rm -rf " & filePath password UserPW with administrator privileges
    	on error theError
    		display dialog theError
    	end try
    end eraseThisFile

on getUserPW()
    	if UserPW = null then
    		display dialog "Password (Warning - will be entered in the clear!):" default answer ""
    		set UserPW to text returned of result
    	end if
    end getUserPW

p/s if you save the script as an app, the good thing is that you can run it like an application in future, and your password need only be entered on first run.

#34 polar_bear, Jan 13, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2006
  15. native_kim

native_kim Member

Thanks polar_bear! Finally got rid of the file.

Cheers!

16. jepaz

jepaz Active Member

The script is very helpful indeed.

17. farankoshan

farankoshan Member

Uninstalling Applications

Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question, but I'm sure a lot of us can use some answers:

Is the basic rule of thumb about uninstalling applications on OSX just about dragging a program's folder (located in the Applications folder) to the trash?

I've been told this, but I'm not sure if this works like a charm.

You see, with PCs, most (if not all) programs come bundled with an uninstaller that you can access from the start menu.
    With macs, maybe 1 in a million programs actually have uninstallers, otherwise, you're just advised to "trash" the program's main folder. But aren't there any loose files floating around? (or not in mac programs?)
    I find it hard to believe that one would have to do a complete reinstall of OSX and iLife just to remove those "little bits"...

Eg. Adobe Photoshop 7.0
    - if you simply drag the Adobe Photoshop folder to the trash, an Adobe folder called "Adobe" still remains in the Library folder at the same root level in the folder Application Support. It contains some registration/web files. According to some muggers, you are to trash anything that is identifyable as being directly related to the application being tossed, but how do you know if it is or isn't? You may not make the right choice all the time...
    - Shouldn't we also be careful not to toss items that other apps might share? (using suffixes like .cfm, .dyld, or .lib) If in doubt, don't toss...but that can't possibly be the logical route to take with every application. Plus, if we're supposed to do the same in our home directory with "directly related" files, won't the same confusion be present. One can still miss items... I'm not even sure how many other folders remain elsewhere.
    - say an error happens and I wanna reinstall Photoshop...won't having some elements still in my mac mean complications for a reinstall?

Bottom line: What does one do to successfully remove a program from your computer, without reformatting the whole mac?

#37 farankoshan, Mar 16, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2006
  18. Dave_D

Dave_D Active Member

Re: Uninstalling Applications

If your really wanna be OC about it...

Drag the app to the trash.

Do a spotlight search on the app and you'll find all the itty bitty pieces of it. Select em all and put em in the trash.

I've been using the same setup since my first mac and doing transfer mode on it every time I upgrade and 6 Macs later.. it's still a-ok!

I did have to do an archive and install once, but later to find out I could've avoided it.

19. paparazzi

paparazzi Well-Known Member

If you want the no-brainer approach, use App Zapper. Google it for the URL

20. farankoshan

farankoshan Member

freeware? is it a foolproof way to "zap" apps?