deleting/uninstalling apps on a Mac (merged)

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by cremebrulee, Aug 20, 2005.

1. cremebrulee

cremebrulee Guest

hello everyone, i hope you can help me. i used search function already and my topic hasn't posted by anyone yet, so here goes.

i'm new to using mac, and it belongs to my sister. recently, she wanted to delete some software and she does not know how. i am aware that there are some software with uninstallers, but this particular software (or rather game), does not. could i be safe in just moving the folder to trash and empty trash? just wanted to make sure...don't want to ruin my sister's mac...:uh-oh:

btw, that game i am trying to delete already came with the ibook g4, it's called tony hawk's proskater 4. we don't really like the game, so might as well take it out. :)

[Edited on 8.20.05 by cremebrulee]

2. kartman

kartman Member

i've done that before--trashed applications and linked files/folders (including preferences) of applications i wanted to get rid of without an installer.

it didn't seem to hurt my book's system.

3. angel_benet

angel_benet Active Member

just trash the application's folder. that's all there is to it. :)

4. cremebrulee

cremebrulee Guest

great, i needed some validation from people who deletes programs this way...thanks for helping out! :)

5. hacksaw

hacksaw Member

It would still be ideal to use the "uninstall" function of a program if it has it, otherwise, dragging the whole program folder to the trash is fine.

~hacksaw

6. penmanila

penmanila The Pinoy Penman
    Staff Member

you can uninstall most programs in OS X simply by trashing them, but note that some will leave preferences and maybe even hidden files behind that may or may not affect the behavior of your machine later. whenever possible, use the uninstaller that comes with many programs.

getting rid of OS X itself, for example, is never so simple as dragging everything you see into the trash. it's full of normally invisible files; if these files appear (some apps will make them visible) and you don't know what they're for, DON'T touch them, or you could end up with an unusable or unstable system.

7. freelancer

freelancer Active Member

I usually drag the application's icon to Trash then do a quick search for all folders related to the application and the preference list for deletion as well.

8. iceprincess

iceprincess Member

im a newbie too...does mac have a shredder like ordinary pc's that delete unwanted programs/softwares/files "completely"? i'm just wondering where the deleted files go... and my concern is that the files/softwares/programs which i thought was deleted is actually still in the system occupying space.

9. kulas

kulas Member

yeah, earlier this morning i removed FCExpress from my system, my friend told me to just do a search, and delete all related files. i think that unlike windows, OSX doesn't have a system registry that gets corrupted. is this correct? hehe

10. freelancer

freelancer Active Member

Ctrl-click on an application icon, choose "Show Package Contents" and you'll see why dragging the application icon is sometimes all it takes. :)

11. annie_mae

annie_mae Member

i tried doing this on my ym, but the option "show package contents" is not there. can i just trash ym?

fyi: reason why i'm trashing ym is bec. i have two copies of the program in my applications folder. i installed it twice thinking that something was wrong with the first one since it seemed like the old ym from windows (no emoticons, audibles, etc.). turns out, that's the way it really is. :sad:

and also, how do you do a search? and what's a preference list?

[Edited on 8.21.05 by annie_mae]

12. carwashboi

carwashboi Member

Use Spotlight if you have Tiger OS

13. jps444

jps444 Active Member

if the application you will be uninstalling has an uninstall feature then use that instead of just simply dumping it in the trash bin. well if it doesn't then just trash it to the trash bin then if you are using tiger then just use spotlight to search for other files that are related to it and put it in the trash.

14. annie_mae

annie_mae Member

hehe i do know that i have to use spotlight to search. i just don't know what keywords to type...:D

15. hacksaw

hacksaw Member

Hi. Just type the name of the program as the keyword and it will show all related files if there are still any. Once all files are shown, just drag them to the trash.

~hacksaw

16. annie_mae

annie_mae Member

thanks hacksaw

17. dementia

dementia Member

Help! I uninstalled some files to troubleshoot another mac problem. two of them I uninstalled by doing a search then deleting everything the search program showed. The programs are Quicktime and Itunes. But now, I can't open some programs nor use stuffit. Help needed! I already feel like crying

18. jps444

jps444 Active Member

well you can look for data recovering softwares. i am not sure if tech tool pro 4 can recover your data, if you are able to back up using other programs then you can use that. otherwise you have the option to do a simple uninstalling of the programs in the applications folder (meaning just by simply dumping them in the trash) then reinstalling the damaged programs.

19. dementia

dementia Member

erm, the mac wouldn't boot anymore. just gets stuck showing a grey box with the apple logo. good thing there's still a PC for searching the net

20. jps444

jps444 Active Member

in other words you can't use your mac? hmmmm have you tried booting from the cd and fixing it there. maybe if you are in trouble with fixing it when you are able to access the hard disk you should back up all your data first then try fixing it. so that you are open to the option of a clean install of your system.