delete duplicate photos in iphoto

Discussion in 'OS X and OS X Apps' started by melo, Apr 8, 2010.

1. melo

melo Member

hi, anyone know how to delete duplicate photo? i saw in may finder i have "original" and "modified" of the same photo. is it safe to delete the original since i already have the edited version? do i have to delete it manually? thanks :)

2. Theus

Theus PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

you can but you really shouldn't :) tampering with iPhoto's folders (manual at that!) is not recommended.

3. ewe_17

ewe_17 Member

may I know why?

4. rafaelc378

rafaelc378 Active Member

@ewe_17: I did what the OP did some time back as a form of trimming the fat, so to speak, from my hard drive. Bad idea. Pictures wouldn't display properly on the main "Pictures" screen. I'd get the thumbnail, but there'd be a big "?" instead of the actual picture when I'd double click to zoom in.

After a rebuilding of the iPhoto library, I've stayed away from manually deleting things from the iPhoto archive and let iPhoto run things on its own.

5. Theus

Theus PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

6. ewe_17

ewe_17 Member

@rafael, interesting! it just shows that I still have tons of things to learn. thanks to you! so what's the safest way to do it instead?

thanks Theus.

7. reytomanila

reytomanila Member

there's always iPhoto Diet. check it out.

8. ewe_17

ewe_17 Member

^cool! thanks!

9. melo

melo Member

aww i see..i will avoid deleting form finder nalang. i try to edit first before importing to iphoto to prevent duplicates hehe. thanks

10. Tonton

Tonton Member

You can delete the originals and re-import the edited photos. I have a Duplicate File Finder program, pero pang windows nga lang.

11. Tonton

Tonton Member

Been exploring iphoto lately and I found out that aside from the picture files you transferred to your mac, it also makes folders for master copy and the edited ones. Malakas kumain ng hd space.

12. jimmyread

jimmyread Guest

In order to delete the duplicate photos, you will have to go to the iPhoto Library where youcan find the complete list of your photos. You can then select the photos that you wish to delete. But I must tell you that if you delete any of those photos, it would be quite difficult to perform iPhoto recovery of the deleted photos manually.

So, when you delete the photos, do it carefully to see that you don't delete the oriignal ones otherwise it would be difficult for you to get them back.

All the Best..!!!

13. stubborn_sage

stubborn_sage Member

Hey guys... just reviving this thread. I must admit I dared to rebuild my iphoto library and for some reason it duplicated around 8000+ photos in my library.

Has there any been any new development in cleaning up duplicates in iphoto library? I'm also looking for the easiest possible way to do this if anybody has any idea..

Thanks in advance:cool:

14. KR Decade

KR Decade Member

hey guys, i know there's no easy way to delete duplicates with iphoto... what i did to my duplicates was first, i disassociated the photos from iphoto, then i downloaded and ran dupeguru PE, selected all the dupes then you can then re-associate the photos to iphoto without problems... dupeguru PE is a "fairware" program, you can use it without limitations even if you don't pay for it, it just displays nag screens when you start the program and when you select more that 100 duplicate pics from the list... other than that, it works perfect... hope this helps...

15. junedale.amador

if you're deleting the photos from the iPhoto folder named Originals when you go back to iPhoto application, you can't view and do the revert to original option. but you can delete photos from the Originals Folder if you want to trim down the disk space unlike Aperture that does not create duplicate copies of every edited photo iPhoto does duplicate each and every modification that you do. Deleting the Originals doesn't really do anything bad to the Modified ones unlike again with Aperture that when you delete the original you can never edit even if you have a Modified copy on the application.

16. arvindelacruz

arvindelacruz Member

Any suggestions for a general duplicate file finder for Mac?