Dead Airport Express

Discussion in 'Time Capsule, AirPort Extreme, AirPort Express' started by PPrince, Sep 15, 2009.

1. PPrince

PPrince Member

Not sure if I posted this in the right place but my Airport Express just died all of a sudden... Noticed the light wasn't on... It smells burnt too... It's been plugged to a powerstrip the past few months without any problems.. Then today.. dead... Has anyone experienced this? Can this be repaired? I don't have apple care for it and it's out of warranty... Thanks in advance!

2. Beowulf

Beowulf Member

pag di na ma repair bilhin ko na lang sir.... :)

3. macdrive007

macdrive007 Well-Known Member

the applecare of your airport express is tied to the applecare of your Mac. (please read the AppleCare/warranty part of the EULA/Apple document that came with your mac/airport express/AppleCare box)

Also, the airport express needs to be connected to a servo motor AVR to last long, as power fluctuations make it vulnerable to being broken. Try cooling it inside the refigerator for a while, then test if it works again. If it works, then your express just had a second life. If not, get that AppleCare Warranty replacement through your mac's warranty and call the Apple Hotline to get your case number. HTH :)

4. PPrince

PPrince Member

Hi Macdrive007... The applecare of my Mac applies to the airport express even if I didn't buy them together?

5. Linus

Linus Member

I've now had two Airport Expresses die on me, one less than a year old, the other just over a year old. Suffice it to say, i don't think i'll get another one :p Linksys might be better. Those are tough little buggers.

It's a good thing we can do internet sharing with the built-in AE's or i would have really been in a bind.

6. tinman

tinman Member

i've had an airport express die on me before... it's the power source. you could probably open it up and jerry-rig another power source to it, but it won't be pretty and it might be a fire hazard. you're better off buying another one or a different one.

hth

7. reymer

reymer Member

I guess you're right. I am using 2 AE's for 2+ years and plugged them to stavol servo avr's since day 1. No problems, so far:)

8. Salaryman Ryan

Salaryman Ryan PhilMUG Addict Member

Yes, its best to connect your AE to a AVR. Had a similar experience. We had two AE in our offices, one pluged directly to a power socket and the other on our AVR. The unprotected AE died within a year while the protected one had been doing fine for over a year now.

9. Pupkin

Pupkin Well-Known Member

i've been looking for AE for a while, finally a philmug member offer me 1 i bought it for 2k i even went to his university (UST) i came from makati pa from work..when i got back to my place i test it right away. and its DEFECTIVE its dead..i also bring it to apple to have it check and confirmed its dead..i text him right away, but no reply..i can't believed it that someone from philmug will do this..here is his Number Guys(0927 656 9566): dude i know your face, dont let me catch you.

sorry for the language guys, am so piss to that guy.

10. Mad Mac

Mad Mac Active Member

Yup power supply. Just use a generic laptop 5v ac adapter, a 3.3v regulator, a 100nF, and 100uF capacitors. If someone can donate his broken Airport Express, I can give it a go. Then I can post a how-to similar to my MacBook ac adapter repair guide.

11. penmanila

penmanila The Pinoy Penman
    Staff Member

i've also noticed that the AE heats up after long usage, and when it does it stops working--the green light will still be on and you'll still get full bars but no internet connection. you'll then need to unplug it and cool it down for at least ten minutes to get it working again.

this leads me to wonder if the AE was designed or is better used as a short-term wifi router--on the road or for short bursts in the office rather than as a 24/7, heavy-duty device.

12. rbenzon

rbenzon Super
    Staff Member

ditto. my airport express has gone tired after a year. it only works now intermittently. it needs rest now. i put it out of commission, but it may still be good as a travel wifi router.

it may be dead before long, and i will have an AX to grind. ;)

13. kaotep

kaotep Active Member

my AE express has always been connected to the power socket unprotected 24x7. it's been like that for the past 5 years.

it does however hangup from sometimes which requires a restart. something that happens to older wi-fi routers too.

14. foolmars

foolmars Member

Through some miracle, Airport Express has started working again. I tried using it as an extender and it is configured as such... but when placed in the area where it's supposed to extend the wifi signal, I get the same number of Wifi bars when not using the Airport Express. Isn't it supposed to increase the signal strength? Or is this Airport express dead?

15. abr2nd

abr2nd Member

glad it works again... basing from posts here, it seems AExpress has some issues to stability... hope apple can improve on this on their next design if ever...