DC Extended Universe (DCEU)

Discussion in 'Media and content' started by leninmac, Aug 23, 2020.

1. eag

eag PhilMUG Addict Member

Yup, same kanina. But it was up again this evening and we watched an hour of it. To be continued tomorrow night

2. macdiver

macdiver PhilMUG Addict Member

Well.... what do you know?!

I actually liked the Snyder Cut. Without going into details... not for now, at least... I guess setting my expectations low helped me enjoy the movie.

3. arkaell

arkaell Active Member

Total fan service this movie is! I'm really glad Snyder was able to tell his full story…so far?

4. arkaell

arkaell Active Member

Interesting. Why do you find this inappropriate? I'd say more people need to be aware of who Jesus is and if Superman is a reason for them to learn about Jesus, all the better.

The Martha moment actually was a good attempt by Snyder to make a ridiculous coincidence into something significant for his story. Too bad they didn't execute that well.

The rest, I think is nitpicking but you be you.

edit: typo

wulf likes this.
  5. fcdiesta

fcdiesta PhilMUG Addict Member

In filmmaking, there is such a thing as subtlety. Good directors know how to imply things/concepts to their audience without those kinds of in-your-face visuals. Showing it like Snyder showed it is forcing it down the audience's throat, without any subtlety or nuance whatsoever. He lays it on, and he lays it on thick... LOL!

raypin likes this.
  6. Dgame12345

Dgame12345 Active Member

The only downside of this snyder justice league is the film shoot in 4:3 aspect ratio

7. arkaell

arkaell Active Member

8. Adarna

Adarna PhilMUG Addict Member

WarnerMedia's weakness is that they do not have a Feige-like point person to push things along, map the movies & TV series out into 1 decade into the future and provide approval.

Doing that would have milked the franchise for all its worth. DC IP is equally as luctrative as Marvel's but the difference is the people managing it are not as forward thinking.

WarnerMedia's past strategy was to cram all the story telling into as few a movies as possible. This does not milk the intellectual properties for decades on end.

With the MCU I can see it continuing way past the year 2100. With DCEU I would be surprised if it goes beyond 2030.

MCU has a template for their movies. Give each hero a solo origin story which culminates to a team up story into the future. Then have a 2nd solo hero story that provides character development. After which another team up story. Churn our 2-4 movies yearly. Have multiple TV & Web series sharing the same fictional universe. All carrying a common subplot or story string.

MCU movies are essentially $100-400 million TV episodes

DCEU is just a spit and a spurt of dysfunction and self sabotage.

Before Justice League DC Films could have made a solo movie for

- Batman
    - Superman
    - Wonder Woman
    - The Flash
    - Aquaman
    - Cyborg

Of those mentioned only Batman, The Flash and Cyborg have yet to get a solo movie.

Each character's solo movie would have yielded at least $1 billion.

#89 Adarna, Mar 23, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
    leninmac and Sunil_K like this.
  9. leninmac

leninmac PhilMUG Addict Member

There was never any plan for a sequel. Warner excecs have already stated in the past that this is a one off, a cul-de-sac. Let’s just appreciate that WB/HBO spent USD70 Million to have this made. They’re not going to get their ROI. Streaming services subscription doesn’t translate to huge profit comparable to a theatrical release. Wonder Woman 1984 actually outperformed Justice League in terms of subscription view. Snyder needs to go. He’s had 2 chances directing Arguably 3 of the most iconic comic book characters. Both MOS and BVS had mixed reviews and both didn’t crack the USD 1 Billion mark.

Godfather likes this.
  10. leninmac

The DCEU figure head is currently Walter Hamada. You’re right, there was no point person before, only greedy Warner Execs. like Kevin Tsujihara ( thank god he’s no longer with WB). Hamada took over after the first JL. So far he’s done considerably well Aquaman, Shazam and Joker were both critical and box office successes, Harley Quinn and WW 1984 not so much. They’ve already introduced the concept of multiverse so expect multiple versions of Batman, Superman, Joker, etc. Affleck’s Batman will appear on Flashpoint. Pattinson’s Batman and Joaquin Phoenix’s Joker represent another universe. DC comics calls it Earth Prime, Earth 2, Earth 3, etc. In the comics they did this in the 60s, Crisis on Earth One, which basically establish the bridge between the discontinued JSA and the JLA.

11. Adarna

Adarna PhilMUG Addict Member

leninmac likes this.
  12. leninmac

Might be similar to the Mandalorian where we rarely see Pedro Pascal’s face. The helmet of Nabu is an integral of the mythos. It’s how it controls the bearer of the helmet. Pierce Brosnan might be playing Kent Nelson.

13. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

James Gunn's Suicide Squad

leninmac likes this.
  14. leninmac

Hmm. I’m not sure if this is a sequel or a soft reboot.

15. fcdiesta

fcdiesta PhilMUG Addict Member

They're calling it a "standalone sequel". I'd rather forget the first one ever existed...

leninmac likes this.
  16. Juice

Juice PhilMUG Addict Member
    Supporter

I'm just here to say #RestoreTheSnyderverse. Well, they also said the Snyder Cut is a long shot.

Sunil_K likes this.