Data Tracker apps

Discussion in 'General iOS' started by eag, Feb 9, 2019.

1. eag

eag Active Member

What data tracker apps works best with iPhones? How accurate are they in monitoring cellular data usage?

2. bacchus_3

bacchus_3 Well-Known Member

The ‘Cellular Data’ report in the Settings don’t fit what you’re looking for? It is fairly accurate until your cell provider’s data tracker screws you. Have used it on Smart prepaid with the Smart app and it is 1-to-1.

potpot2 likes this.
  3. p.pipster

p.pipster Well-Known Member

I'm using My Data Mgr. Can track your mobile data, wifi and roaming data usage. You can set up the limits so you'll be notified when you're nearing it. Has a nifty widget feature so it's easy for you to glance where you are against your limits.

Just not sure though if they're using my data for commercial and/or nefarious purposes.

4. eag

eag Active Member

Thanks. I haven’t actually looked at it much, but will take a look

5. eag

eag Active Member

I’ve downloaded this and liked the fact that you set limits and alerts for when you hit certain amounts of data usage. But it requires you to use their VPN to be able to track your data. Made me wonder if it’s data mining

6. p.pipster

p.pipster Well-Known Member

I did not enable it and I'm still able to keep track of data usage. You definitely need to turn it on to access a certain feature where you can see location-based data usage.

Theus likes this.
  7. eag

eag Active Member

I didn’t realize it would still do the data tracking etc even if you don’t enable its VPN. Thanks

8. Theus

Theus PhilMUG Addict Member

Yup this is confirmed. I sometimes use this for a quick check. I noticed though data reporting is lower compared to Globe’s *143#. Best to use the latter as you get a screenshot / SMS from Globe.

9. eag

eag Active Member

I’m actually curious to see if data tracking is consistent between the built in tracker in the Settings, the third party app, and by the telco.

10. john.roque

john.roque Member

DataMan is my go to. Beautiful interface and doesn’t spy on you like My Data Manager.