1. bugs

bugs PhilMUG Addict Member

I bought something similar for my wife's car in greenhills last year for aroung P750 iirc. I noticed that even if I turn the knob at max, it seems to be a bit wobbly. I think she hardly uses it anymore as it blocks the screen of the headunit. She needs to see the headunit when waze is connected & shown there.

btt: I also find the lcd of dashcam's monitor distracting if it's on, so I also just set it to auto off, & placed it at the back of the rearview mirror eversince.

#181 bugs, May 22, 2017
    Last edited: May 22, 2017
    Jess likes this.
  2. ericb

ericb Active Member

i've been using one for more than 6 months now, the only problem i encounter was that it is hard to adjust the vent since you'll also need to adjust the mount so as not to weaken the attachment of the mount and the phone.

bought one a few days ago, worried the cold air from the aircon vent would damage my phone :D

Attached Files:

3. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

Boy, this thread went OT real fast. From dashcams to dash accessories. :p

Anyhoo, this isn't Anker, but I've been using these for years and years. I have one in every car.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004G1L52Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

[​IMG]

I swear by these things. Super sturdy, super reliable, no magnets.

I even have a spare for when I'm renting cars abroad.

Jess likes this.
  4. gaol

gaol PhilMUG Addict Member

I also set my dash cam monitor to auto-off or auto-dim a few seconds/minutes after the initial startup. When I had one of them in the center of the windshield a few inches above the dashboard (cable was too short to wrap around the side of the windshield--I'm getting a longer cable), the screen was too distracting.

A little off topic, but I'm sure the time is not too far off when dash cams will become un-necessary: trip recording will be built-in. For example, there's already EyeSight feature in Subarus (it's not yet available in models here, maybe the next gen models) where a stereoscopic pair of cameras/sensors right in of the rear view mirror are used to check against lane departure, forward collision, and to control adaptive cruise control, etc. It's an easy step to include trip recording into its feature list in the near future.

5. oj88

oj88 PhilMUG Addict Member

I think it can be made standard if local laws require it. There are still countries it seems that are quite strict when it has anything to do with their customers' privacy (or in this case, how their customers drive, where they have been or whoever is being filmed).

Though this Citroen has it. (Skip to 18:17) But as the presenter explains, there aren't any policies in place that specifically allow it so that's why you don't see car manufacturers tripping over themselves trying to rush into it.

[media][/media]

6. bisdak

bisdak Well-Known Member

7. raypin

raypin PhilMUG Addict Member

Ot: Mm..been looking at the problem. Best that I could think of is to argue that the monitor is vital to the operations of the vehicle. Proof: present the car manual showing the operations of the monitor. Who is to say that the monitor is not part of the dashboard instrumentation? The fact that it is factory installed reinforces the argument. Removal thereof will impair part of the car's safe operation. As I understand it, the Mazda multi-function monitor shows fuel economy, iStop status, radio, hands-free communications, service notification, music and navigation information.

If they ban that type of monitor mounting, they should do so with new Mazda models and should not retroactivelyappky to older models.m

#187 raypin, May 22, 2017
    Last edited: May 22, 2017
    Theus likes this.
  8. oj88

My dashcam mount has arrived.

[​IMG]

Before, with the suction cup.
    [​IMG]

After, with the new mount.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's still about an inch or so lower than the rear view mirror but it needs that bit of opening for the 2nd camera to record the cabin.

9. Godfather

Godfather PhilMUG Addict Member

^ Nice!

Re: with the new mount

That's the position of my dashcams, right below the rear view mirror.

But if you ask traffic enforcers now, bawal iyan. Before the ADDA was temporarily suspended, I've heard of traffic enforcers apprehending motorists with that setup, saying it's within the line of sight, kaya huli ka. When Lizada said the dash cams should be behind the rear view mirror, traffic enforcers interpreted it as meaning the dashcam should be COMPLETELY out of sight of the driver. In most cases, that's impossible. If you do that, the root/stem/base holding the rear view mirror would block our dashcam lens's view, rendering the images either obscured or pretty much useless.

It's really malabo. The LTO really has to clarify that point in the IRR.

Sir iAco likes this.
  10. yehey9

yehey9 PhilMUG Addict Member

Would you guys know where to buy a xiaomi dashcam? well not from online sellers. are there any sellers that have a physical shop and issues an official receipt for the dashcam? well, its the Official Receipt im really after.

thanks!

11. oj88

FWIW, all merchants selling products through Lazada always packs in an OR in all my purchases.

12. raypin

mm...yeah lalabo nga yan. But there's more than one way to skin a cat (with due apologies to cat lovers). Remove the steam/base/root that is holding the dash cam
    in place. Replace with: removable/reusable adhesive (like Blu Tac) and affix it at the back of the rear view mirror (and out of the driver's LOS). I think that will solve the problem. I use Blu Tack on all my headfi gear (when I stack DAPs with headpdhone amps). It doesn't leave a mark but it securely holds the gadgets together.

Sir iAco likes this.
  13. sandybridge_guy

sandybridge_guy PhilMUG Addict Member

Meet Hug Buddy! (y)

This is what I use here during Winter (as my suction cup holder loses it's sucking power when the windshield is too cold).

[​IMG]

Strong enough to hold my 7 Plus.

Theus and jesusluison like this.
  14. makinao

makinao Active Member

The problem there is that the rearview mirror is not really facing perfectly forward. It's tilted towards the driver. So you will need something to tilt it the other way.

15. raypin

Mm..blu tack is a putty (like clay but pliable) .You can easily adjust the angle of the dashcam.

16. yehey9

yehey9 PhilMUG Addict Member

thanks! but I think that is not the correct OR? you cant have the name of your employer on the "sold to" field of lazada ORs.

17. oj88

You probably can if you create a separate Lazada account for your company/employer.

18. ice

ice PhilMUG Addict Member

Philippine Dash Cam Law... (Senate Bill No. 1457)

I honestly would love to see a dash cam in all vehicles in the Philippines...

But, I can give Jeepneys and Tricycles can be skipped... (the vehicle can't be locked so I pity the driver who will need to pay for a new camera everytime the old one get's stolen)

Bus, Taxi, TNV, UV Express and Trucks should all have them.

Private cars; mount and cable/power supply should be mandatory for new vehicles.

greta87 likes this.
  19. tapnclick1940

tapnclick1940 PhilMUG Addict Member

Car manufacturers should include built-in dashcams on new cars similar to how many already have built-in back up cameras.

Godfather likes this.
  20. vhyc

vhyc Member

Anyone here was able to buy transcend high endurance sd card for their dash cam?