Damaged Macbook Air 11.6" Cost & Where to Sell

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Claudine Faylogna, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Claudine Faylogna

Claudine Faylogna New Member

Hi. I spilled coffee on my Macbook Air's keyboard (company issued unit btw) around February. To cut the long story short, it's no longer working. Unfortunately, I just got the unit back now (since I'll be paying the book value of 23.7k, issued brand new and was used a little over one year only).

May I ask the estimated repair for this? I'm planning to have it repaired then sell it afterwards.

Or maybe is there any place where I can sell the damaged macbook itself? Around how much?

Thanks!

Ghibli likes this.
  2. penmanila

penmanila The Pinoy Penman
    Staff Member

hi, claudine, you can try bringing it to ynzal at 25 scout rallos, QC, our go-to place for out-of-warranty repairs. only they can give you a proper quote, but as expected, it's going to be steep because that's probably a logic board replacement you're looking at. at worst they might buy it for parts.

also unfortunately as a new member you don't have selling privileges here yet in the marketplace. perhaps people can PM you if they have any inquiries, thanks.

Claudine Faylogna likes this.
  3. Claudine Faylogna

Alright, thanks for the heads-up! :)

4. tiffitotz

tiffitotz Active Member

You can also go to Ab-Blanc in Cubao. Sir Tony repaired my water-spilled uni body Macbook. I think it set me back by 6500 and that's including the replacement keyboard already. Had it repaired more than a year ago and it's still working great until now.

5. Claudine Faylogna

Yay, thanks! :) I'm still hoping that it could still be repaired so I can either use it again or sell it.

6. penmanila

penmanila The Pinoy Penman
    Staff Member

sounds like a good deal.

7. tiffitotz

tiffitotz Active Member

The keyboard replacement was for a MBP though and keys are a bit sunken in but I can live with that. Apparently it's now hard to buy parts for the white Macbook.

8. Claudine Faylogna

I heard some creaks when I tried typing on the keyboard. I think a few bits of uncooked rice went in since it was the initial thing our IT told me to do -- to dip the unit for 2-3 days and if it still wouldn't work, I'd surrender it to them. Also, when I tried charging the unit earlier (tried a different Macbook Air charger too), the connector heated up easily.

Still hoping for it to get fixed.

9. tiffitotz

tiffitotz Active Member

You can check out his FB page to see his repairs. I've got nothing but good words for Sir Tony. Rest assured that when you surrender your MBA for repair, he'll have you sign all the important parts, like hard drive, screen, etc, to make sure that nothing will be replaced without your knowledge.

10. Claudine Faylogna

Thank you! I'm just afraid that the when coffee dried, the "remains" became sticky on some parts and have affected the unit badly.

11. tiffitotz

tiffitotz Active Member

If I remembered correctly, he posted before a repair job with spilled coffee. There was another one with spilled ice tea. You can get a quote from him since diagnosis is free anyway. Ynzal is also good I've heard but I have yet to try their services out although a friend did.

12. Claudine Faylogna

Thanks a bunch! I'd go there next week. If there's no more hope for it, I might just sell it by part.

13. vtf

vtf Active Member

i was there yesterday to have my late 2011 macbook pro’s keyboard checked. anyway he has funny stories about the variety of fluids that were spilled on macs. from adobo and patis to a small dog’s urine (mustve marked his territory)

Qin Zhi likes this.
  14. glennba27

glennba27 Active Member

Good thing I found this thread. Thanks for sharing @tiffitotz! I might need to bring my wife's 1-month old mid-2017 MBA there (wifey informed me earlier that my son accidentally spilled water on it).

tiffitotz likes this.
  15. Ejaxene

Ejaxene Well-Known Member

Ab-blanc is highly recommended... I think I found them randomly on FB, sent my friend there who was looking for repairs and she was very satisfied with the service... Her MBP had resurrected!

Dekra likes this.